X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lano1106
    replied
    Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    Sorry, but Simple Screen Recorder is superior in like...every way!
    thanks for pointing out ssr. I wasn't aware of its existance. I however disagree with your statement. Of course I am a bit biased but here is the differences that I see:

glcs
    C
    config files
    smaller memory footprint ~500Kb
    Adhere completely to the unix philosophy by doing a very small task very well. Capture a rawvideo stream from opengl.
    Very flexible. I'm using ffmpeg to consume the stream but anybody with slightly different needs could plug any other program

ssr
    C++
    GUI
    Bigger memory footprint 1.2 MB
    Audio encoder/video encoder is bundled. Personally, this scares me a little bit as if it crash or there is a bug, the whole host app (the game) goes with it
    easy to use but hard to adapt to special needs.

So basically, depending on what is important to you, the 2 applications will provide you different caracteristics.

both have strengths and weakness. there is no one size fits all IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
    I have a GPU that sits idle most of the time so why not give opencl encoding a try....
    it does only the lookahead on the gpu.. you can only a measure big difference if you set it to really high values like 250 and use the gpu for decoding.

with a dedicated card it need to much time to copy the data

Leave a comment:

• lano1106
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    OpenCL doesn't bring really benefits for h264 encoding. And if you use a dedicated Card its brings less.
    Maybe you are right. but since Crossfire is either broken or not widely supported on Linux, I have a GPU that sits idle most of the time so why not give opencl encoding a try....

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    OpenCL doesn't bring really benefits for h264 encoding. And if you use a dedicated Card its brings less.

Leave a comment:

• zanny
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    No, not Twitch. See Minecraft, the integration is Windows and OS X only.
    Twitch supports RTSP, I stream to it all the time from my Arch desktop. I just have to do it through ffmpeg right now. I was considering trying to write my own broadcaster, but there are already so many and openbroadcaster is being ported.

Leave a comment:

• liamdawe
    replied
    Sorry, but Simple Screen Recorder is superior in like...every way!

Leave a comment:

• Vidar
    replied
    OpenCL encoding.

Really happy that programs like this are starting to show up. SimpleScreenRecorder already records OpenGL too but variety is good

What surprised me is that the 7970 can encode x264 videos with OpenCL - I had no idea.
    Can NVIDIA do the same thing with OpenCL and/or CUDA right now on Linux? Is this the same thing as ShadowPlay on Windows?

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    The growing Linux gaming market is really starting to propell these kinds of software. Soon it might be braindead easy to stream to Twitch from Linux.
    No, not Twitch. See Minecraft, the integration is Windows and OS X only.

Leave a comment:

• lano1106
    replied
    It should be braindead easy today to live stream to twitch and/or youtube. I just did'nt have time to test it as I was too in a hurry to share the fruit of my work.

All that needs to be done to send a RTMP stream is to modify the script at

glcs is an ALSA & OpenGL capture and real-time streaming tool for Linux. - lano1106/glcs

and change the ouput from $4.mkv to a rtmp url.

this is it. If noone beat me to it, I'll make a test run tonight!

Leave a comment:

• xeekei
    replied
    The growing Linux gaming market is really starting to propell these kinds of software. Soon it might be braindead easy to stream to Twitch from Linux.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X