No announcement yet.

GLCS: A Better Version Of GLC For Linux Game Capturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenCL doesn't bring really benefits for h264 encoding. And if you use a dedicated Card its brings less.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      OpenCL doesn't bring really benefits for h264 encoding. And if you use a dedicated Card its brings less.
      Maybe you are right. but since Crossfire is either broken or not widely supported on Linux, I have a GPU that sits idle most of the time so why not give opencl encoding a try....

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
        I have a GPU that sits idle most of the time so why not give opencl encoding a try....
        it does only the lookahead on the gpu.. you can only a measure big difference if you set it to really high values like 250 and use the gpu for decoding.

with a dedicated card it need to much time to copy the data

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
          Sorry, but Simple Screen Recorder is superior in like...every way!
          thanks for pointing out ssr. I wasn't aware of its existance. I however disagree with your statement. Of course I am a bit biased but here is the differences that I see:

glcs
          C
          config files
          smaller memory footprint ~500Kb
          Adhere completely to the unix philosophy by doing a very small task very well. Capture a rawvideo stream from opengl.
          Very flexible. I'm using ffmpeg to consume the stream but anybody with slightly different needs could plug any other program

ssr
          C++
          GUI
          Bigger memory footprint 1.2 MB
          Audio encoder/video encoder is bundled. Personally, this scares me a little bit as if it crash or there is a bug, the whole host app (the game) goes with it
          easy to use but hard to adapt to special needs.

So basically, depending on what is important to you, the 2 applications will provide you different caracteristics.

both have strengths and weakness. there is no one size fits all IMHO.

Comment

Maybe you are right. but since Crossfire is either broken or not widely supported on Linux, I have a GPU that sits idle most of the time so why not give opencl encoding a try....
            Yes it does bring benefits.

Comment

Audio encoder/video encoder is bundled. Personally, this scares me a little bit as if it crash or there is a bug, the whole host app (the game) goes with it
              easy to use but hard to adapt to special needs.
              What do you mean by "bundled" and "the whole host app goes with it"? If you're doing a non-accelerated recording, then if there is a crash, only the recorder crashes. If you're using OpenGL recording, it's using glinject just like GLCS, as far as I can tell. You don't need to autostart the game with SSR, you can launch it with the needed environment variables set manually. So if the recorder crashes, nothing should happen to the game.

I agree with the second point, though. While the few settings SSR gives are the most important ones, ffmpeg offers a huge wealth of options. That's always nice to have.

Also, the acronym "SSR" has some unfortunate connotations

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Also, the acronym "SSR" has some unfortunate connotations
                I believe that SSR is an initialism (or alphabetism), and not an acronym.... Unless you go around saying "Sir" or something, in which case I sincerely apologize for this interruption.

Comment

how to record game sound and voice sound? :/

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                    how to record game sound and voice sound? :/
                    I do it by making a pulseaudio sink of my audio in and stereo out. Which is kind of ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                      I believe that SSR is an initialism (or alphabetism), and not an acronym.... Unless you go around saying "Sir" or something, in which case I sincerely apologize for this interruption.
                      I believe he was referring to it being similar to the USSR, to which I say, nonsense you beorgouis pig in fact the developer should embrace it and go one step further and turn it into a recursive backronym beginning with U and adopt the hammer and sickle for it's icon.

Comment

Working...
                      X