Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Portal 2 Now In Beta On Linux

Phoronix: Valve's Portal 2 Now In Beta On Linux

For those that haven't fired up their Steam Linux client in the past few hours, Portal 2 is finally available!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

allow me to start the thread with:

**** YEA!!!

i started up the beta for like 20 minutes, the install was quick since i pasted in the files from my wine installation. all seems good

a slight bit of notice (and im sure steamdb + others are looking into it) would be if valve updated parts of source or even referenced source 2 again

Comment

Finally!

I am downloading it right now!

Let's see how it performs...

Hopefully, this means The Stanley Parable and CS:GO soon. (Even if I am not too into that CS thing).

Comment

Fired up Steam as soon as I saw the headline. This is gonna be fun

Comment

You need to also opt into the Beta branch in the properties of the game within Steam to make it work.

It still has several known issues. I am wondering if it is a new Linux port of the Source Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            You need to also opt into the Beta branch in the properties of the game within Steam to make it work.

It still has several known issues. I am wondering if it is a new Linux port of the Source Engine.
            It is, Valve has a dozen of different branches of the Source Engine. Portal 2 has its own, just like any of their new games. Unfortunately when they fix something on one, it almost never gets fixed in the other games.

Comment

Interesting. Do you need to pay in order to try out the beta? I am very happy to pay for games and I buy steam-Linux games for the kids all time, buy paying for a beta seems a bit OTT. Thanks in advance!

Comment

I'd be very happy to get my hands in Portal 2, but I'm not in the beta group. I'm hoping I might be able to try them out in my AMD A10-5700 with Radeon HD 7660D, using radeon open source driver. Ah, I found one: AMD Radeon HD 7660D Game Performance vs. Requirements. I wouldn't bother with "NO" for recommended requirements...

Oh, how exciting!

I played Portal 2 in my PS3 so many times. I'm much better at using a mouse and keyboard than my PS3 controller due to limitation of the joysticks and regardless of sensitivity.
                Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 25 February 2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
                  It is, Valve has a dozen of different branches of the Source Engine. Portal 2 has its own, just like any of their new games. Unfortunately when they fix something on one, it almost never gets fixed in the other games.
                  Pretty sure the way they're fixing this is to move every popular title (those MP titles with regular updates, like TF2, ...) to the upcoming OpenGL-based Source 2 Engine... says Pidgey.

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  Interesting. Do you need to pay in order to try out the beta? I am very happy to pay for games and I buy steam-Linux games for the kids all time, buy paying for a beta seems a bit OTT. Thanks in advance!
                  Yes, you need to own the actual game. It is a beta release for Linux, but the game itself has obviously been avaible for some time and is stable, so it is important to differentiate between a beta game and a beta port. Also, the bugs are not major, and many other developers would call just call it "stable/final". I am sure it will be out of "beta" within few weeks, and if you don't want to pay the full price, the next Steam sale is never far.

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  I'd be very happy to get my hands in Portal 2, but I'm not in the beta group. I'm hoping I might be able to try them out in my AMD A10-5700 with Radeon HD 7660D, using radeon open source driver.
                  You don't need to be part of any beta group. You can opt-in to the Beta branch of the game after installing it directly within Steam (rightclick on Portal 2 -> properties -> Beta tab).

Comment

Yes, you need to own the actual game. It is a beta release for Linux, but the game itself has obviously been avaible for some time and is stable, so it is important to differentiate between a beta game and a beta port. Also, the bugs are not major, and many other developers would call just call it "stable/final". I am sure it will be out of "beta" within few weeks, and if you don't want to pay the full price, the next Steam sale is never far.
                    That's all fair, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X