Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsow 1.1 In Beta With FXAA, Renderer Improvements

Phoronix: Warsow 1.1 In Beta With FXAA, Renderer Improvements

At long last we're on the heels of a new Warsow game release. Warsow, one of the more interesting open-source first person shooters and is powered by Qfusion rather than ioquake3 and others, has now reached a beta state for its forthcoming 1.1 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love FXAA!! When I first started playing games with it, my first thought was... WOW, everything that needs to be anti-aliased is actually anti-aliased!! (MSAA doesn't anti-alias the results of pixel shaders leaving jaggies on some things but not on others. ). And stuff that doesn't need to be anti-aliased isn't anti-aliased so there is no heavy performance hit.. And on top of that, thin lines that don't really need anti-aliasing don't get blurred into oblivion like they do when you enable MSAA. This is brilliant!

FXAA, the way anti-aliasing should have been done 15 years ago... Of course, that wasn't possible because the graphics pipeline was too linear to do it, but it would have been nice.
    Last edited by Sidicas; 09 February 2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

And I hate FXAA, at least the way it's implemented in all games.

It just makes everything blurry as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
        I love FXAA!! When I first started playing games with it, my first thought was... WOW, everything that needs to be anti-aliased is actually anti-aliased!! (MSAA doesn't anti-alias the results of pixel shaders leaving jaggies on some things but not on others. ). And stuff that doesn't need to be anti-aliased isn't anti-aliased so there is no heavy performance hit.. And on top of that, thin lines that don't really need anti-aliasing don't get blurred into oblivion like they do when you enable MSAA. This is brilliant!

FXAA, the way anti-aliasing should have been done 15 years ago... Of course, that wasn't possible because the graphics pipeline was too linear to do it, but it would have been nice.
        I think you need to try out SMAA -- it's a lot better than FXAA.

Comment

I turn off anti-aliasing.... It just never seems to be worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            I think you need to try out SMAA -- it's a lot better than FXAA.
            Indeed. I too find Jimenez's methods much better quality than FXAA, in that they don't blur textures unnecessarily while FXAA does.

Comment

Still no public development repository.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Still no public development repository.
                https://github.com/viciious/qfusion is the de-facto public development repository as far as code is concerned. There hasn't been much going on media-wise lately anyway..

Comment

Working...
                X