The First CryEngine Game Planned For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
    We will not see Cryengine game on Linux until Cryengine is ported on Linux.

When that will append, if it will, a couple of other games should be available in Linux too like Star Citizen.

That Cryengine thing remind me of UT3... It will be ported on Linux! Yes.. it will.......

Well, the Unreal Engine has been ported to Linux. So what?s the problem?

Comment

I hope this project is successful and wish them well. But we have to remember even a successful Kickstarter funding is probably not enough to fund such an ambitious project. Let's say they get like a ?1.000.000 in funding, they'll probably still need another ?4.000.000 to succeed in time. The good thing is however they got an investor lined up to provide extra funding, which probably a lot of other crowdfunded projects should have done as well. (like crowd and venture funding)

Comment

Just saw it on kickstarter 15 min ago :P

I waited for a game like this for a long time, and it will be released on linux

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
          We will not see Cryengine game on Linux until Cryengine is ported on Linux.

When that will append, if it will, a couple of other games should be available in Linux too like Star Citizen.

That Cryengine thing remind me of UT3... It will be ported on Linux! Yes.. it will.......
          1) Cry Engine is known to have Linux render code
          2) Regarding, Unreal Engine/Tournament 3, although there isn't an official port that was publicly released, the engine has been ported independently by multiple developers for their Linux releases (see Dungeon Defenders and Painkiller: Hell and Damnation).

See:
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Does the ported Cryengine or any Cryengine game released for linux take advantage of HRTF positional audio? Frankly when I hear stereo panning in a post-2010 game it makes me sick to see how backwards game devs can be.

Learn how to upgrade your copy of OpenAL and enable HRTFs so that you can experience more immersive, accurate, 3D audio in Amnesia: The Dark Descent....

To enable HRTF filters one has to configure both the game and system. I've done both per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gaming#HRTF_filters_with_OpenAL and it doesn't seem to work for me. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong? A teaser for everyone, including Windows users http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214618

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
              as someone who has sharpen many knives, the scene around 1min makes me screech
              You should get in contact with them about that. They obviously care for realism of the game for the time period and would most likely welcome your input. (and I would enjoy more realistic things too)

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
              I hope this project is successful and wish them well. But we have to remember even a successful Kickstarter funding is probably not enough to fund such an ambitious project. Let's say they get like a ?1.000.000 in funding, they'll probably still need another ?4.000.000 to succeed in time. The good thing is however they got an investor lined up to provide extra funding, which probably a lot of other crowdfunded projects should have done as well. (like crowd and venture funding)
              In the video the guy said that they have a private investor, but that the investor was hesitant to continue funding the game after no publishers wanted in. He went on to say if the kickstarter was successfully funded, the investor would gauge interest from the consumers to be enough to continue funding it. Any extra that they get just just icing on the cake, but an extra $1,000,000 can't exactly hurt when it comes to game development (especially since the investor probably has a say in where exactly they use the money given to them).

Comment

You will not find any dragons, half-naked Elven warriors, or wizards in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. At no point will you have to collect seven pieces of a legendary magic staff to defeat an ancient evil bent on destroying the world with an army of demons. We think there are enough such games out there.
                Death to the orcs and the goblins!

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                  This game looks a lot like Mount and Blade, which I wish they'd do a Linux port of. But this has of course far better graphics, seeing how it uses CryEngine 3 and M&B has been out for quite a few years.

I'm curious about a lot of the Kickstarter funded games coming out lately. I understand the premise of using Kickstarter, but I would think with digital stores like Steam, that the need of a publisher is a thing of the past anyhow. Sure Steam takes a cut of the sales, but they really wouldn't need kickstarter to fund this. Unless they use it just to gauge interest.
                  The publisher is the company that pays the developers to do the game. Kickstarter cuts out that middle-man.

Comment

This is going to be a czech production and as I am czech too I gathered some information that might not be easily available in english. The main designer and screenwriter is Daniel V?vra, a man behind Mafia (II) and 2d art of Hidden and Dangerous. That is mentioned on the kickstarter campaign as well. On czech websites I read that the main investor is Zdeněk Bakala, big name, a czech entrepreneur involved in energetic and mining industry. Up to now and as far as I know he hasn't produced any other computer game. I don't know if this information changes anything but I just thought I would post it here as it is not mentioned on the kickstarter project page.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                      This game looks a lot like Mount and Blade, which I wish they'd do a Linux port of. But this has of course far better graphics, seeing how it uses CryEngine 3 and M&B has been out for quite a few years.

I'm curious about a lot of the Kickstarter funded games coming out lately. I understand the premise of using Kickstarter, but I would think with digital stores like Steam, that the need of a publisher is a thing of the past anyhow. Sure Steam takes a cut of the sales, but they really wouldn't need kickstarter to fund this. Unless they use it just to gauge interest.
                      Because it doesn't look like anyone's answered your question I'll put my 2 cents in; this doesn't have (much) to do with publishing costs, this is development. Steam Early Access and Greenlight help advertise your game idea, but Valve does not pay you a wage while you work on the game. This is what Kickstarter games are looking for; the funds to pay themselves and any other professionals they need (sound, graphics, models, animation, et al) and also tools they may need if applicable (game engine licenses, modelling program licenses, etc). We all know there is a huge difference in a game done by a couple guys part-time while they have a day job and a game made by a team as their main income.

Comment

Working...
                      X