• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PyroDevil View Post
    Source?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Why would you want to unplug it? You should be able to use the service without any hidden surveillance bugs in it. That was my point. "Unobtrusive" DRM has even less reasons to be trusted. Not that any DRM should be ever trusted for that matter.
      Get your tin foil hat off. Valve isn't Google, they aren't collecting data on you. Gamers would revolt if they tried.

It's the "indie" game devs making Android and iOS games that are collecting data on their users.

Comment

First of all how do you know how Valve is using DRM? And how do you know how Valve is not using it? And how do you know that no one else besides Valve is using it? I doubt you can answer any of those questions for any such kind of DRM. And since DRM is always based on unethical principle of preemptive policing, it should be expected by default to be sinister from security perspective (aka malware). Nothing about tinfoil or etc. It's a normal symmetrical expectation.

And why would gamers revlot? Didn't you say it's unobtrusive so it can be tolerated? "Unobtrusive" as in comfortable because it's hidden and you have no clue what it's doing doesn't mean it's not a security and privacy risk.
        Last edited by shmerl; 22 January 2014, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          I only play DRM-free, non-paid games that can be installed like any other package native to some Linux distro.
          So you play alone and are not a gamer because nobody who has a choice and a brain or friends plays the OSS games.

Even RMS says games don't fall under things that should be chased after as F/OSS.

Big deal, I listen to metal, punk and instrumental post-rock/metal, people like me don't give 2 shits about the RIAA swill to begin with, we usually pirate the album and compensate the artist at live shows and buying band shirts.
          Last edited by Kivada; 22 January 2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            As for who 'everyone' is, everyone is 'PC Gamers'. If you or your friend are not part of that 'everyone,' then you aren't really a PC gamer. There isn't a single logically coherent PC gamer that has a problem with Steam or it's DRM. In retrospect, many PC gamers are embarrassed that they even had an anti-Steam DRM phase.

No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.[1] When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim ("no Scotsman would do such a thing"), rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original universal claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule ("no true Scotsman would do such a thing").[citation needed]It can also be used to create unnecessary requirements.

Examples

A simple rendition of the fallacy:[2]

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."
            Person B: "I am Scottish, and put sugar on my porridge."
            Person A: "Then you are not a true Scotsman."

All True Scotsman variant:

Person 1: "All Scotsmen love ale."
            Person 2: "I am Scottish, but I don't love ale."
            Person 1: "Then you are not a true Scotsman."

A cited example of a political application of the fallacy was asserting that "no democracy starts a war", then distinguishing between mature or "true" democracies, which never start wars, and "emerging democracies", which may start them.[3]

Comment

No, it's not true for services which let you making backups. Steam doesn't provide you a supported way of doing it
              Stop spreading FUD. Steam provides an easy way of creating backups of your game

also you can always switch Steam to Offline mode, that even works when their severs are not available (disconnect your ethernet cable. Steam will tell you that it can't connect and if you want to start via offline mode. In offline mode most games are available (only if the real owner has some sort of DRM it won't be able to start up).

So, in reality, Steam is not DRM and it has no DRM component. DRM means that you can only use something if the owner of the game autherised it. Which is clearly not the case with Steam.

Also: Why the fuck are you so against it that a developer get's paid for what he did?! OpenSource is nice 'n stuff but it's not a feasible option for most developers. You can't make money with it, only by providing support.

If my landlord would provide me with housing for free and the person at the supermarket would give me my food for free, too...then, and only then, can we seriously start discussing wether Software should be OpenSource or not. As long as that's not the case, I've a metabolism to feed and I need a bed to rest and that costs money.
              Last edited by Detructor; 22 January 2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

DRM infested or not. It is first not Valve alone, it is the game's primary publisher deciding. Second: It is definitely a nice gesture. Of course they might speculate to gain some development power for their SteamOS issues and help from the Debian devs but hey, why not?
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  Its up to publisher of game to decide, whether its DRM-free or DRMed. What has Valve to do with it?..
                  Er, Valve has no control on Valve's games, meaning published by Valve? Are you on crack? :-P

Note: they don't provide "all Steam games." They provide "all Valve games." You know, those made by Valve which is a very small subset of the Steam library, not generally everything that's on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    Steam provides an easy way of creating backups of your game
                    Detructor: Let me repeat my question. Can you install a game from a backup without Steam service and Steam client? If you answer yes, then it is a real backup. If you answer no, it's DRMed and defeats the whole purpose of such backup. I.e. imagine a scenario when you have a new machine, Steam client is non existent and Steam service closed down as well. Can you install and play a game from such backup?
                    Last edited by shmerl; 22 January 2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Detructor: Let me repeat my question. Can you install a game from a backup without Steam service and Steam client?
                      Yes, if the game allows it. You can also run games that you installed through Steam without running Steam. Again, it's up to the game. For example, I bought "Gemini Rue", installed it through Steam, and it runs just fine without Steam. I can also copy it around and it still runs without Steam installed. So Steam can just behave like a simple download manager, if the game's publisher wishes to use it that way.

Steam doesn't *enforce* DRM on the publishers. It's just that the majority of publishers choose to use DRM.

Comment

Working...
                      X