Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cities In Motion Is Steaming Along On Linux

Phoronix: Cities In Motion Is Steaming Along On Linux

For those that missed it, Cities in Motion and Cities in Motion 2 were both released for Linux this week via Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cities in Motion sale

There is a sale for CiM and DLCs here: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundl...motion-bundle/

Comment

Is there a Godzilla mod? That was one of my favourite things in Psychonauts.

Comment

The game runs pretty well with the open drivers. I am using CiM 2 with a Radeon HD 7870 with radeonsi (11 January oibaf's packages recompiled with llvm 3.5) with almost everything maxed out and it plays quite smoothly (v-sync off).
        There are a few bugs, however (check this link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/225420...003048750/#p10). Namely, using the camera with the mouse middle button breaks the game (although the cam can be moved with the keyboard arrows) and sometimes (randomly) the menus of the game show incorrectly (the menu shows the background colour and no buttons neither text is showed). These issues seem to be happening both with the free drivers and with the blobs.
        Anyhow, I am really thankful to the devs and to Paradox. In fact Paradox is shaping a great Linux games catalogue!

Comment

Originally posted by Tobu View Post
          Is there a Godzilla mod? That was one of my favourite things in Psychonauts.
          Having heard many horrible things about CIM through the Steam reviews, I think that a Godzilla mod would be the one and only reason I would pony up money for the games. Come to think of it, why doesn't someone just make a game where you design a monster and it runs around destroying cities and stuff? I'd pay money for it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
            Having heard many horrible things about CIM through the Steam reviews, I think that a Godzilla mod would be the one and only reason I would pony up money for the games. Come to think of it, why doesn't someone just make a game where you design a monster and it runs around destroying cities and stuff? I'd pay money for it!
            And you just watch glorious 30min video clips of your monster rampaging with no control?

FWIW I had a similar idea for a mobile space mmo, the server would render every battle in glorious fullhd and then stream to the client. Guess why it was never made

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
              The game runs pretty well with the open drivers. I am using CiM 2 with a Radeon HD 7870 with radeonsi (11 January oibaf's packages recompiled with llvm 3.5) with almost everything maxed out and it plays quite smoothly (v-sync off).
              There are a few bugs, however (check this link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/225420...003048750/#p10). Namely, using the camera with the mouse middle button breaks the game (although the cam can be moved with the keyboard arrows) and sometimes (randomly) the menus of the game show incorrectly (the menu shows the background colour and no buttons neither text is showed). These issues seem to be happening both with the free drivers and with the blobs.
              Anyhow, I am really thankful to the devs and to Paradox. In fact Paradox is shaping a great Linux games catalogue!
              Turning on windowed mode resolved all graphical glitches i had. Runs like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
                I had the same issues as you and solved them by running the game in windowed mode. Now it runs like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                  I was thinking first person; actually the Psychonauts world is more inspired by Calvin & Hobbes than anything else. Your idea sounds like a theme park simulator for monsters.

Comment

tried the game with the Nvidia drivers on Kubuntu 13.10: as already been reported, with game in full screen rotating the camera with the mouse breaks. Looks like input control could use some love. This happened only with KDE though. Running from openbox works as expected, so I guess it is fighting with advanced WM only. Didn't tried with something else other then KDE and openbox.

I also tried with the Intel open source driver. Water is not rendered at all, you just see the bottom of the sea. Reported both bug on the Paradox ticketing system, let's see if they will do some work to provide a fix. And btw you need to try many time to start the game when using the Intel driver. no less then 4 out of 5 tries ends up with the game not starting at all.

I will try playing in windowed mode and see if it works better as reported already.

Comment

Working...
                    X