• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@tbelvin

Those games don't launch at all, no matter what drivers are installed

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      Just install Steam for Windows under wine, then you can get and play your Windows games.
      Yeah I know, but every time I did the result was awful. For example, DooM 3 BFG didn't install at all from the DVD and sometimes Steam crashed on launch. No problem with Linux version, so why bother with bugged software ?

Comment

You dont need to use dvds when you have got your games on steam.

Comment

survey is kinda... CRAP!!! i got 3 linux computers with steam. and the first time in 2-3 months i actually got to see it to finally know what ppl talk about... sigh, it was when i started wine version of steam which wants to say i'm using win32. if i quit that steam and restart here is survey again, but i can load steam on any linux zillion times... NADA, ZILCH, NOTHING, ZERO...

Originally posted by efi360 View Post
          I use steam on my linux box ( Which is my main computer ) but untill more popular games are ported over its not much of a draw to use it , For instance I got Tomb Raider and Bioshock infinity when I baught my graphics card but still can't play them on linux side becouse they not ported over to the linux steam client yet. This is in my opinion what is holding linux side steam client adoption back. Maybe this year will move things along faster ... Hopefully.
          don't know about bioshock, but i bought TR collection and playing it trough wine. on my 9800GT tomb raider anniversary is running so smooth and flawless that it puts my ps3 version of same game to total shame. didn't try others yet, but i definitely plan on that.
          p.s. even ps3 controller works out of the box without workarounds

Comment

Personally, I don't have Steam because my portable has some Intel 965-class chip, and desktop has like a Geforce 6600. Not too much gaming to be had from those

Comment

Originally posted by hwertz View Post
              Personally, I don't have Steam because my portable has some Intel 965-class chip, and desktop has like a Geforce 6600. Not too much gaming to be had from those
              You can play Half-Life and Counterstrike on those.

My desktop with its G31 chipset plays CS on Windows under Direct3D fluidly on 720p and 768p. But for some reason under Linux and OpenGL there's some really noticeable stutters and the graphics just look grainy compared to Windows and Direct3D.

Still playable though.

Off-topic rambling: What I really, REALLY want is for someone to find a way to cram a PS3's innards into a notebook chassis so that I can play my jRPGs on the move. The Vita's JRPG lineup is strong but not exactly to my liking.

Comment

Start a ps3 emulator

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                  I agree that porting games using Wine/Crossover in coordination between both teams could be really helpful and would extend Wine's capabilities and compatibility. But you will notice that the games we are dealing with are pretty old and already fully compatible with Wine, so there would be no gain for Wine development whatsoever. Also there is another problem : Steam does not support playing Windows games using stock system Wine installation, not even getting your Windows files for games you paid. This has to be corrected before we can even start to consider Valve as "Wine friendly".
                  I'm not sure Valve wants to be "WINE friendly". While it would be great for expanding the available games list, the overall experience will never match up to native games. Which means it will never be better than Windows if they give developers an easy option to use WINE for their ports.

I hope at some point that they do integrate WINE for older games, but they really need to make it a point to not allow it for games newer than 2012 or so. Current games should be native that way they can be up to par or potentially faster than their Windows releases and integrate properly with the system. Personally, I wouldn't mind an SDL2-or-equivalent mandate either... SDL1 is a terrible experience on multimonitor systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                    I'm not sure Valve wants to be "WINE friendly". While it would be great for expanding the available games list, the overall experience will never match up to native games. Which means it will never be better than Windows if they give developers an easy option to use WINE for their ports.

I hope at some point that they do integrate WINE for older games, but they really need to make it a point to not allow it for games newer than 2012 or so. Current games should be native that way they can be up to par or potentially faster than their Windows releases and integrate properly with the system. Personally, I wouldn't mind an SDL2-or-equivalent mandate either... SDL1 is a terrible experience on multimonitor systems.
                    I totally agree with you, I was just developing on newwen's suggestion to use Wine to port older Steam titles. System Shock 2 is already doing it this way.

Comment

It's just that Left 4 Dead 2 is a very, very crappy port. Other source engine games work much better. (e.g. Half Life 2 Episode 2 has about the best graphics of those source engine games and it works perfectly for me)

I didn't much care about this because there aren't many games ported, but I installed Mint 16 as an alternate OS (I normally use a customized Slackware'ish system and I'd never pollute it with all the shit that Steam and the games would need) so I could try Steam on Linux. Most of the titles available I already had in Windows, so I didn't have to go out and buy new games. I did buy Amnesia A Machine For Pigs just to buy something using the Linux Steam client though. At this time, there is nothing else I want that I don't already have.

Left4Dead 2 was unplayable for me at first, until I built a proper kernel (my way) and latest fglrx beta. (13.11 Beta 9.4). After that, it was good enough. Still a bit laggy in some spots very briefly but it doesn't affect anything. Similar story with Serious Sam 3.

Metro Last Light works, and looks great. Somebody did a very good job porting that game. I actually bought that in Windows more because I wanted to reward them for their Linux support. (At the time I was not planning on having a Linux setup that could run Steam) It turned out that I really liked the game (I hated Metro 2033) so I was glad I did. Now I'm playing it in Linux. My only complaint is that it has segfaulted a few times but it's not like games never crash on Windows. I had that game crash in the same area in Windows, in a swamp scene where you have to fight creatures as you wait for this gas powered rope bridge to come to you.

Anyway, as for AMD vs. Nvidia, I love AMD graphics cards for the "bang for the buck" factor, but they can smoke a turd in Hell for their Linux support. I'm starting to put money aside for an Nvidia card. The last straw for me was fglrx Catalyst 13.12 downgrading kernel support in the release. They think that because no distros are using Linux 3.12 (moreover, 3.13-rc is out now) that they don't have to support it? They can lick me where evolution split me.

No, I need better than "radeon" for games (which I must say is now excellent for desktop use on my hardware, HD 5870. Congrats for that, but...)

Comment

Working...
                      X