Steam Linux Usage Still Roughly Around 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
    I'm quite satisfied with Steam on Linux, in fact. They just need to keep things going, and it will attract people. Most certainly it will not make a hundred million people switch, but still.
    umm, steam only has 65 million

and if 1% = linux users, then that's: 650,000

which is not bad at all for the time being.

but lets beat mac and get people getting em steam machines/os/controllers and everything will be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      I'm not much of a PC gamer; my Steam library only has Recettear (Windows only), Condition Zero and Portal.

On my Windows machine i have a small collection of eroge, and some Korean / Japanese MMORPGs, but that's about it.

I do all my gaming almost exclusively on my PS3 and PS4; no other platform can match the sheer number of jRPGs exclusives available on Sony's consoles.

Yes, i'm an obsessed jRPG nut.
      I used to be an jRPG nut too, but I can't just pass those humble bundles, even if it just to grow your library

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        Another consideration is that over the whole gaming scene there isn't any killer networking title. The MMORPG's took over local lans and combat games. MMORPG's have declined though.
        MOBAs have basically risen in popularity and we at least have 2 compatible ones: Dota2 and HoN

Comment

I got ~100 GNU/Linux games on Steam, and I see another problem - a lot (I estimate ~50%) of these ports is done badly - they have bugs, don't run, crash, have memory leaks, have fewer features, are in older versions than their windows ports, etc... I have a feeling that their developers just don't care about their products and if I even post a forum note about problems I get a message that I should play it on some old version of ubuntu (aaaargh!) cause they made it on that and it works on their side etc (ofc I'm not going to change the distro for a game and not to the worst distro there currently is). The only really good ports are the ones that come from companies which were making good games for GNU for longer than there was Steam on GNU, e.g. Frictional Games - they are flawless.

I don't mind the 10-20% less performance (I have a solid machine) as long as the games run as they should, but that often is a problem. Somebody on Steam side should do some quality checking of the different platform versions of games.

Comment

For all those AMD plagued users. My Asus GTX770 works perfectly on all main OS and I boot all three of them.

Comment

Gaming Problems in Linux.

I have installed steam on Ubuntu 13.10 and Linux Mint 16, also tried with the latest Ubuntu 14.04. I have an optimus hardware and for some reason using bumblebee keeps you starving for better experience. I bought Killing Floor, CS and L4D2 to try out on Linux, and well the preformance is way below than when I play in Windows plus the overheating (Using bumblebee eases but is not as efficient as in Windows 7). The latest optimus patch from Nvidia in Ubuntu 14.04 removed the bumblebee away but I didnt find much of a performance difference, leave aside the hot lava the laptop becomes. So in the end for the sake of gaming on Linux I bought the three games but for the sake of gaming I had to boot into Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                @bug1

Nvidia works definitely very good with OpenGL - has got even some specific source engine improvements, just Killing Floor shows some corruptions (seems to be an error in the game). Intel is certainly not bad, but Haswell with full speed is only available with BGA chips (R/M models), so you have to live with HD 4600 at max usually. AMD has faster cards basically. r600g works pretty well for my HD 5670, it is not unplayable like fglrx with L4D2, i don't have got a card to test radeonsi. If you need to recommend something i would go for Intel CPU/GPU and upgrade to Nvidia if needed for the game you want to play.
                I agree with you, the loading times are long plus if you a play a map like haunted hotel where they have the torch, you cant see anything properly compared to the same in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                  umm, steam only has 65 million

and if 1% = linux users, then that's: 650,000

which is not bad at all for the time being.

but lets beat mac and get people getting em steam machines/os/controllers and everything will be awesome.
                  Will the SteamController run under Windows? Did someone test? Does it also only require the standard-usb-driver?

Comment

Add coming soon section just for Linux. Plenty of games like Left for Dead, Portal, and now Deadfall Adventures aren't advertised as available for Linux while beta. If I didn't read Phoronix, I wouldn't know anything about beta games.

Add a way to separate the AAA games from the indie games. Seems I'm always seeing indie games like with Desura.

Add a way to see which games are Windows/Mac only in my library.

Always show what platforms are supported, even if Windows only, when mousing over in the store.

Some games like Portal are missing their Linux sequels.

Some games like Painkiller Hell and Damnation have Windows only DLC, or their earlier games in the series are for Windows.

Would be nice if Steam could get games that had Linux betas like Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament 3.

_Where are all the id and Unreal games?_

Not a Steam issue, but I wish more games would work as well as HL2 and Amnesia with the open-source drivers. Games like Gary's Mod, Metro: Last Light, Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition, etc. don't work well, if at all.

(Michael, 'circa' is mostly for showing approximate year. There are some good pictures of Chernobyl here: http://www.theguardian.com/environme...clear-disaster )

Comment

I have been running linux full time right now, not on my gaming machine. But on my backup machine since my gaming machine is mining litecoin. I am running kubuntu on a a10-5800k 8 gigs ram and a HD6770, with catalyst drivers. For me its been a mixed bag, most5 likely due to catalyst drivers. TF2 runs badly even on low settings, Dota2 works very good on low settings, Dungeon defenders works very good on low settings. Bastion freezes, castle story freezes when you try and load a game. Towns wont even start up. HL1 works. Trine 2 cant run if you have 2 monitors hooked up, seems it ignores the aspect ratio and wants to expand to the other screen even though the res is set to 1080. I have 47 linux games in total and when roughly have of what you have tried does not work, its really bad. But I am not giving up on linux or steamOS yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X