Steam Linux Usage Still Roughly Around 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
    What happened to all those people who said they'd ditch Windows in a heartbeat if Steam ever came to Linux?
    There was probably an assumption that they would switch in a heartbeat if Steam on Linux was an equivalent product to steam on windows.

As someone with many hundreds of hours playing TF2 and having switched to Linux for my desktop in '99 i still cant justify steam under Linux, the gaming experience is inferior due to graphics issues (slower).

I hear NVIDIA has better support than AMD, but using NVIDIA is akin to using windows, so no reason to switch from a moral point of view. Intel is good with open drivers and specs, but their chips dotn have enough grunt. AMD are at least committed to documenting their hardware, but it is a shame they still spend their money on maintaining secret drivers (catalyst) rather than putting all their effort into open drivers. AMD still dont understand open source, such a shame...

So in summary, i think anyone ideologically driven still dont have a reason to switch because of bad drivers, and people technically driven wont switch because of less performance.

Comment

Would be more interesting to see different OS usage percentages of the games that have native linux and windows binaries than the whole steam usage statistic.

Comment

@bug1

Nvidia works definitely very good with OpenGL - has got even some specific source engine improvements, just Killing Floor shows some corruptions (seems to be an error in the game). Intel is certainly not bad, but Haswell with full speed is only available with BGA chips (R/M models), so you have to live with HD 4600 at max usually. AMD has faster cards basically. r600g works pretty well for my HD 5670, it is not unplayable like fglrx with L4D2, i don't have got a card to test radeonsi. If you need to recommend something i would go for Intel CPU/GPU and upgrade to Nvidia if needed for the game you want to play.

Comment

Originally posted by bug1 View Post
          There was probably an assumption that they would switch in a heartbeat if Steam on Linux was an equivalent product to steam on windows.

As someone with many hundreds of hours playing TF2 and having switched to Linux for my desktop in '99 i still cant justify steam under Linux, the gaming experience is inferior due to graphics issues (slower).

I hear NVIDIA has better support than AMD, but using NVIDIA is akin to using windows, so no reason to switch from a moral point of view. Intel is good with open drivers and specs, but their chips dotn have enough grunt. AMD are at least committed to documenting their hardware, but it is a shame they still spend their money on maintaining secret drivers (catalyst) rather than putting all their effort into open drivers. AMD still dont understand open source, such a shame...

So in summary, i think anyone ideologically driven still dont have a reason to switch because of bad drivers, and people technically driven wont switch because of less performance.
          How is using a binary graphics driver akin to using an entire OS that not only isn't FLOSS, but also is increasingly controlling of what you are allowed to install on it (Windows Store) and requires you to activate every machine and phone home to MS? I hope some day that Nvidia opens up more of their code, but for right now they're absolutely the best option on Linux, absolute parity with their Windows drivers in terms of performance and no driver related issues in any Steam game I've played (and I have 84 Linux games).

Comment

On my laptop - i3 330M and Geforce 330M (closed drivers) L4D2 have micro lags, on Windows I don't expire this problem. This is really frustrating...

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post

Linux in and of itself has no value over Windows for the average user. If you want Linux to take over for gaming, it has to actually be hands-down better than the competition. Not one or two things better, but all around an _obvious_ improvement (coming from many different angles). Otherwise, it's just something different and people in general _really_ don't like change.
              Failing that, the marketing needs to do it, but "Linux" (or even Steam OS) has no real marketing, especially not when competing against the _billions_ that Microsoft or Sony or Apple or Nintendo drop on advertising. Maybe Valve will start a serious marketing push after Steam OS is at 1.0 and commercial Steam Boxes are out, but they're going to have to be prepared to drop a very pretty penny, akin to what Microsoft had to do with the original XBox (which lost them a lot of money, even without the subsidized hardware costs).
              You sir hit the nail on the head. To win you either have to beat the price (I'm not going to pay for a Cisco firewall and will go with an Untangle one) or give the buyer a better value proposition. People are not going to change their life around because Linux has a better NUMA support, the same way Linux server people are not going to invest their time learning BSD just so pf is better than iptables. You have to be all round better AND easier to use.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I mostly play L4D2 right now and it still crashes on Linux so even though I use Linux as my desktop, I still have to play in Windows.
                I play L4D2 as well, but it works great on my PC with nvidia driver.

Comment

I think the 0,75% of "other" is Linux too.

Still poor but thats a part of Linux community's blame. The short-sighted actions they do repelling users from trying Linux OS.

Why?

Ask any forum which distribution should a newcomer to Linux use and you will get 100 different answers. Why? Because of politics.

They dont understand that using for first time Ubuntu, Mint or whatever doesn't mean that the user will always use that OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    @kernelOfTruth

I see no problem playing Serious Sam 3 with my HD 5670 with mesa 10 (i just created a repo that mirrors the packages from steamos) - just ignore the warning you see on start. Also Left 4 Dead 2 works. I did not play MLN yet.
                    you're using Kanotix, right ?

what gcc version is everything compiled with ?

might be that the hardened toolchain & the -march=native optimization breaks stuff

the thing is:

disabling hyper-z helps for the first few minutes but the graphics looks pretty ugly - even in 1920x1080

then the screen turns black and the monitor turns itself off

when rebooting via magic sysrq the bios signals that there's an gpu error

Comment

Usage is at 1.85 % when you know how to add up the numbers. That's exactly the same as it ever was.

Comment

Working...
                      X