Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First NVIDIA GeForce Benchmarks On The SteamOS Beta

Phoronix: The First NVIDIA GeForce Benchmarks On The SteamOS Beta

A comprehensive performance comparison is underway at Phoronix that pits SteamOS against other desktop Linux distributions, but for those anxious to see some performance numbers, here are benchmarks done so far this weekend from seven NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards on the public SteamOS 1.0 Beta operating system. In this article are early benchmarks from seven NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards running Valve's Debian Linux based SteamOS on an Intel Haswell system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great Benchmarks as always, Michael.

Looking forward to see the Ubuntu results. One thing I would love to see in the future is how Seam OS and Ubuntu compares against Windows 8.

Comment

Thanks for the benchmarks. A comparison SteamOS vs other distros could be interesting although I actually don't expect much difference, I just checked the benchmark numbers for Unigine Engine on a GTX680 from the Ubuntu vs Win8 article (July) and they are basically the same.
      I actually curious about comparison SteamOS vs Windows from other editorials (I just read that Ars is preparing one), not really to see the actual difference in performance but to see which games they are going to use as benchmarks. While they are probably not limited by an automated procedure the number of games with benchmarking functionality is quite limited compared to windows, actually the majority of games I see in windows reviews are not on Linux at all, including synthetics benchmarks. Having 3DMark in Linux would definitely be useful!

Comment

As shown by other recent Phoronix tests (and more tests coming this month), Intel Haswell graphics with Mesa 10.0+ should be in fairly good shape for handling most Source Engine games.
        Sure, but I thought that SteamOS only ships with mesa 9.2.2, with some valve custom changes :

Package: libglapi-mesa
        Source: mesa
        Version: 9.2.2-1+steamos1+bsos1
        Architecture: i386
        Maintainer: Debian X Strike Force <[email protected]>
        Installed-Size: 170
        Pre-Depends: multiarch-support
        Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6~)
        Multi-Arch: same
        Homepage: http://mesa3d.sourceforge.net/
        Priority: optional
        Section: libs
        Filename: pool/main/m/mesa/libglapi-mesa_9.2.2-1+steamos1+bsos1_i386.deb
        Anyway, I am looking forward to see your next benchmarks. Keep on, Michael

Comment

Originally posted by fedesog View Post
          Having 3DMark in Linux would definitely be useful!
          And impossible, unless you somehow control Microsoft, has 3DMark is based on DirectX.

Comment

Disappointed

Comparing with previous benchmarks, the Steam was not higher.

Comment

3dmark existes for android

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
              And impossible, unless you somehow control Microsoft, has 3DMark is based on DirectX.

3dmark existes for android

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                Futuremark itself said, in their forum, they were keeping an eye on Valve back in February when Steam for Linux was released and I remember they actually pointed out that they follow directions of hardware companies more than software companies. Steam Boxes will be produced by hardware companies that will need something to prove that their version of Steam Box is faster than the one from the competition so as 3DMark exists on Android/iOS it will probably end up on Linux as well, maybe not soon but definitely not never.

Comment

Originally posted by winnitro View Post
                  Comparing with previous benchmarks, the Steam was not higher.
                  This is quite understandable because Valve has modified Linux kernel with real time patches. Generally realtime kernel have lower latency but also lower peak performance.

Hopefully Michael will test SteamOS with unmodified 3.10 kernel. This should reveal what is the effect of the modifications.

Comment

great benchmark. just one suggestion for "compare your own" part of article.

benchmarks would be much more informative if they were produced for valve proposed specs instead of bunch of graphics cards. that way anyone could see how his machine stacks against valves vision of "steambox". you could stick titan in pc with different bottleneck and still suffer terrible result. benchmark for complete spec on the other hand gives much clearer result

Comment

Working...
                    X