Former NVIDIA, Microsoft Developers Doing Lots Of The SteamOS Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
    A question in relation to the sound being choppy playing a video; I've had this before numerous times. Can anyone explain the possible reasons this occurs, expecially as it seems to be related to the video systems for some reason!
    This is easy, if video acceleration is working, the low CPU load causes thermal logic to downclock the cores, that prevent audio subsystem to pump the data at timed rate. This causes CPU to switch very often between states, burning more power than staying wake for the whole time, and also causing latencies. Possibly decreasing sound buffers or increasing CPU downclock barrier will fix this.

This is also exact problem with Cpufreq driver, solved by either manually tuning ondemand governor parameters or upgrading to latest version with different logic, and even M$ cpu drivers (especially AMD), with solution being to disable CPU power management entirely (about 8% more power drain in idle).
    Last edited by brosis; 14 December 2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      Now how is this going to effect the system requirements already in place for all steam games (Ubuntu)?. They expect developers to go back and install Debian now, which is a lot harder to use than Ubuntu?. Not that I care really, Debian was a good base to build on but I rarely use a computer anymore; for some reason I just got bored. Burnt out I guess.

Steam Runtime.

Thats what its called

(And no, You do not need Debian/Ubu/whatever, even LFS + Steam Runtime is OK)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Steam Runtime.

Thats what its called

(And no, You do not need Debian/Ubu/whatever, even LFS + Steam Runtime is OK)
        Yeah Steam uses Steam Runtime for over a year now. No wonder Steam works just fine on every distro. Shuts all the "ZOMG you'd need to support 100^100 Linux distros with your games" People up.

Comment

Glad they chose Debian GNU/Linux for serious stuff

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Ubuntu vs SteamOS? Why not Debian vs SteamOS, or Ubuntu vs Debian vs SteamOS? That would give more information on what the actual changes in SteamOS affect.
            because ubuntu is still recommended platform for Steam on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
              because ubuntu is still recommended platform for Steam on Linux?
              In continuation to your response; Because Valve's Steam-client + distro-supported GFX driver on a distro that has majority end-user market share (Ubuntu, in case you missed it) which utlimately maximises end-user feedback (VERY objective in my opinion....you could ask your atypical 'blonde' if the bluetooth in her VW is making her a better driver because she can listen to her own music when her friends are listening to MSN Radio...) is a totally differant beast than an environment that is controlled top-to-almost bottom with a Valve-patched kernel, Valve-monitored VGA drivers, Valve hand-controller+driver, Valve-recommended hardware outlining various expectations of SteamOS experience and all running on a LSB (well, that hasn't been proven or dispreven yet ;P I am prone to the occasional sensationalist statement!) that promotes stability AND is in the public forum for full peer review.

The one thing I haven't checked in on with Valve, is what exactly are they garnering from my personal info. CC details are one thing (eh, just make a maximum daily usage. Up it if you need more, then down it), but yeah, are they Google/FB like. I severely doubt they make any serious money off peoples deets, but I also doubt they aren't collecting SOMETHING. Wish I had time for packet-sniffing training!
              Hi

Comment

they dont

Now how is this going to effect the system requirements already in place for all steam games (Ubuntu)?. They expect developers to go back and install Debian now, which is a lot harder to use than Ubuntu? .
                Simple they dont want you to install deb?an they want you to install SteamOS that's why they included Gnome

Comment

They expect developers to go back and install Debian now, which is a lot harder to use than Ubuntu?
                  Debian is not harder to use than Ubuntu. I would argue that if you don?t install Unity it is actually simpler. Its *installation* is slightly less noob-friendly, but shouldn?t be a problem for a developer.

Comment

Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
                    Simple they dont want you to install deb?an they want you to install SteamOS that's why they included Gnome
                    Yeah I don't get why this is confusing people; Maybe calling it SteamOS was a mistake because people are not getting that this is meant to be installed on a device designed entirely for gaming, not to be some desktop distro that contains optimizations for Steam in order to replace the typical distributions. This is not Valve entering the desktop space.

Comment

stupid 5 min edit limit?

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                      Debian is not harder to use than Ubuntu. I would argue that if you don?t install Unity it is actually simpler. Its *installation* is slightly less noob-friendly, but shouldn?t be a problem for a developer.
                      Note that I haven?t tried Debian 7?s installer, just Debian 6.

Comment

Working...
                      X