Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesse2004
    replied
    Really great, looking forward to trying it. Based on Debian directly is also a great decision!

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied

Ubuntu is a copyrighted product, as is Debian.
    So too are Slackware and Fedora.

Interesting thing to point out is you can grep ubuntu from the Android sources, v2.2.

Valve made the right move.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Yes, you're right. I should rather say systemd makes administrating your system easier and gives you much more control. There's no reason to use old sysvint instead systemd or upstart.
    Except that sysvinit is tried and true and well supported and well documented. Al ot Systemd implementations still have a lot of papercuts to overcome (like shutting down the network connection before NFS shares are unmounted for example). You also have to keep in mind that even through SteamOS is "hacker friendly" it is still targeted to towards a non-technical audience and as such the "administration" side of the equation is only a real concern to Valve and if they are comfortable with sysvinit then it really doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    LOL, i'm not sure that Debian and Slackware users agree with you

FWIW, i use Slackware since i started to use Linux....Slackware 8.0 at that time....
    I also use Debian and Mint (XFCE edition).
    Yes, you're right. I should rather say systemd makes administrating your system easier and gives you much more control. There's no reason to use old sysvint instead systemd or upstart.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by q2dg View Post
    Because it's a(nother) lost chance to extend its "way of run" (which I personally prefer over Debian' style)
    Maybe RedHat is in more consumer/professional electronics markets than Debian (I don't know), but it's losing push-up in server market...well, we'll see
    You and me both (prefer redhat over debian style...although, i prefer Archlinux over both of them). Yeah, i guess i agree, it is a bit of a missed opportunity for them, but not the end of the world either.... I'm not convinced Redhat is _really_ losing any significant ground. - In 2012 Redhat reported $1.13 billion dollars [USD], as it's annual revenue.... and that isn't even getting into the software/projects they drive/manage, companies they work with, etc. ~ so while, this may be a missed opportunity, i don't think it's that big of a deal.

Leave a comment:

• q2dg
    replied
    Originally posted by ninez View Post
    why??? (you will find Redhat is in a lot more consumer/professional electronics markets than Debian).
    Because it's a(nother) lost chance to extend its "way of run" (which I personally prefer over Debian' style)
    Maybe RedHat is in more consumer/professional electronics markets than Debian (I don't know), but it's losing push-up in server market...well, we'll see
    Last edited by q2dg; 14 December 2013, 07:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by q2dg View Post
    I'm sad for RedHat/Fedora
    why??? (you will find Redhat is in a lot more consumer/professional electronics markets than Debian).

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
    its a normal linux distro what the point? none
    Sure, it's debian, a 'normal linux distro' (whatever that means!), but i think you will find throughout their repo/packages that they have additional patchwork for XYZ software / keeping their own deltas and I would assume in Steamboxes that ship - the OS will be tuned for the H/W, meaning - if you go and install debian on the same H/W and run steam - you probably will miss out on a number of optimizations, fixes, etc....

So while you do not see the point, there IS one.

It's no different than the Muse Research Receptor; http://www.museresearch.com/products/index.php- which is based on Fedora/RedHat. Sure, you could say that since those products are built on Redhat 'it's just a normal linux distro' - but that isn't really correct and trying to run their software on a non-muse system probably would run like junk, if it ran at all...

or like the MISA tri-bass (or Kitara before that) that uses Gentoo as a base; http://misa-digital.myshopify.com/

I mean what were you expecting from XYZ company - LFS or it's not good enough? lulz.

Leave a comment:

• q2dg
    replied
    I'm sad for RedHat/Fedora

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Which is enough for gaming console, but not enough for serious work.
    Oh please, sysvinit has been doing "serious work" for a couple of decades. In fact to get "serious work" done many times sysvinit emulation is required by other init systems.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X