No announcement yet.

Activision Is Preventing A Game From Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I'm concerned gaming on GNU/Linux is there, full scale, on any reasonable distribution (in my case Debian). And most of the games I recently enjoyed playing are Indie-games. You don't need bloated 3D graphics to make a good game. Last 3D title, that I consider to be an excellent game was Mass Effect. Who cares what Activision or EA does, they'll lose in the long run.
    PC is not Windows and if some "average people" think otherwise it's their problem. GPL is not a copyright license, it's a copyleft one, and torrenting stuff is consistent with open-software and free information ethics. Books, movies, etc, if it's digital it belongs to everybody. Paying in 21 century is a form of support, and Steam, despite being a DRM service provides good value for value exchange, so that I feel good, not only because I like the game, but because I pay for it. All talk about legality is nonsense, Microsoft patents for Android are legal, so what!!!!! I buy electronicly what I really like, and what I can afford. And, off course, I pay for Linux games I play.

Microsoft is a rip-off monopoly, and I don't care about it's "rights"!!!

And next time everybody, when you torrent a movie or a book, look through the peer list, you'll see such countries, where people live for a 10 bucks a week. Is there anybody here, who wants to teach those people to respect copyright law?!)

Comment

Torrenting stuff is consistent with open-software and free information ethics. Movies, books, etc. if it's digital, it belongs to everybody. Paying is a form of support. Steam, despite being a DRM platform provides good value for value exchange, so I feel good not only because I like games I play, but because I paid for them. GPL is not a copyright license, it's a copyleft one. I buy electronicly what I really need, like and/or can afford, and, off course, I pay for Linux games, everything else, that I need temporarily, or just need to try out, I torrent. All talk about legality is nonsense, Microsoft patents for Android are legal, so what?!!! I don't care about their "rights". They are a rip-off monopoly. Everybody should look through their peer list, when they torrent. They'll find countries, where people live for 10 bucks a week or less. Is there anybody here, who wants to teach them to respect copyright law?!!)

Most output of big game-publishers is rubbish, Activision included. Last high-end 3D game, that I consider to be excellent and old-school worthy was Mass Effect. These days Indie developers make the best stuff, often in 2D. As far, as I'm concerned GNU/Linux gaming is there, full-scale, on any reasonable distribution (in my case Debian).

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
        Did they (EA) already publish anything on Linux?
        Br?tal Legend.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Br?tal Legend.
          I think Double Fine selfpublished Br?tal Legend on the PC, Mac and Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
            I think Double Fine selfpublished Br?tal Legend on the PC, Mac and Linux.
            Double Fine wanted to publish over Activision, but chose EA in the end. Activision even sued them for that.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Ok. How about we apply the same logic to other laws then? You can't agree with one part of traffic law and disagree with others. If you accept the prohibition on drunk driving, you also have to accept 5km/h speed limits in city areas, mandatory GPS tracking for cars... Or let's take the laws on alcohol. You can't disagree with one part of alcohol regulation and agree with others! If you agree on the prohibition to sell alcohol to children, you also have to agree with sales restrictions, restrictions on how long restaurants can stay open, or ridiculous taxing policies... does this start to sound ridiculous already?

For the x+1th time, copyright law is not one monolithic take-it-or-leave-it block. It consists of many parts, which together outline a collection of many related but separate rights, all of which are bundled under the umbrella term of "copyright". Even the name "copyright" is misleading, because it contains much more than just copying rights. (In Finland, we call it "author's rights", which is a somewhat more accurate description in my opinion).

Now then, where exactly do you get the idea that I can't be against one part of copyright law (or any law) while being ok with others? Do you have any kind of reasonable justification or basis for that view, other than an arbitrary decision on your part that I have to either accept all of copyright law or disagree with all of it? If so, I'd love to hear it.

Shit, I wish people would study these things even superficially before starting to mouth off at me. There's no hypocrisy on my part, my beliefs are entirely consistent here. Feel free to disagree, I'm not forcing anyone to agree with my views, but don't come calling me a "hypocrite" based on your entirely arbitrary criteria.
              But you're not protesting different portions of copyright law. Copyright grants the author a monopoly on the redistribution of the work allowing him/her to dictate the terms for redistribution for a certain number of years. When you violate copyright, you are saying the author has no right to dictate the terms of redistribution, but GPL is built on the premise that the author has that right, therefore when you pirate you are rejecting the GPL as well so yes, you are being inconsistent.

This is why nobody applauded the idiot who found the F2FS source code and re-licensed it under GPL, it's because he disregarded and rejected the author's right to redistribute, something FOSS developers need to prevent people from locking up their code

Comment

Sorry, I submitted two almost identical posts. I had a connection break, thought the first one didn't go through

Comment

Regardless of the legality of pirating Activision's games, doing so is still a bad reaction. The correct reaction is to ignore them and go put your money on other games whose publishers do care about supporting Linux. Support Linux by buying games built natively for it; running pirated Windows games through Wine does not support Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    Are those games Linux native?
                    So now you want to pirate native Linux games?
                    <sarcasm> This is really the way to support companies that support Linux, we all can be very proud of you! </sarcasm>

For posting illegal download links to native Linux games you should be banned immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                      Sorry for my previous comment (the "fuck off" one), but asking for someone to get banned is not nice. I understand how you feel about pirating Linux games.

But hey, the "pirates" are not all that bad, if you look into most links for example you'll see comments such as this one:

"If you like this game, please buy it and support the companies."

Also, I would happily buy games to support Linux games but they don't give me the choice to do so, I don't have a credit/debit card and I also don't want one due to the ridiculous bank fees and taxes, it's much easier for me to buy BTC from localbitcoins.com and use that to pay for things on the internet, but Valve won't take BTC AFAIK.

So please don't judge without knowing, I'll give HL2 a try because it's the only way for me to try it and I'll delete it later, maybe after playing 10-15 minutes, as soon as Valve starts taking BTC I'll happily buy it.

I'll probably buy more than once just so that I support those efforts on Linux.
                      I don't care at all why you pirate. You post illegal download links in a Linux forum that obviously is even read by the Activision PR crew. Now think about how your behavior reflects on the Linux community that actually wants to get games and pay for them. And yes, if this was my forum I would outright ban you, because providing illegal links to copyrighted content on a forum can get the forum owner (read: Michael) in serious problems. Are you the one that want to pay the lawyers if this will be the case? I doubt it, since you aren't even able to go to a fucking store to buy your games.

Comment

Working...
                      X