Valve Joins The Linux Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
    That's a sad day for the free and "open source" world.
    Go away Valve, please!
    No, it's not. It's a pretty fine day, in fact. Valve agreed to fund the development and maintenance of GPL code with this move. In the long while, if their talk is not empty, they might also create some FOSS development tools, and again there's nothing wrong with that. It's good that companies come forward to support FOSS. Nobody is forcing anyone to use Steam with this move.

If they were to release the tools as closed source, then you could have a case. But as it is, they're just donating money to help Linux as a project.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      In the long while, if their talk is not empty, they might also create some FOSS development tools, and again there's nothing wrong with that. It's good that companies come forward to support FOSS.
      Their talk is not empty.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        No, it's not. It's a pretty fine day, in fact. Valve agreed to fund the development and maintenance of GPL code with this move. In the long while, if their talk is not empty, they might also create some FOSS development tools, and again there's nothing wrong with that. It's good that companies come forward to support FOSS. Nobody is forcing anyone to use Steam with this move.

If they were to release the tools as closed source, then you could have a case. But as it is, they're just donating money to help Linux as a project.
        All of the games that Valve has in it's Steam collection and Steam itself are proprietary, they are just trying to look good by helping some free projects in some small way redeems that isn't something to be fooled by

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
        "hey look! we are making another debugger that is not working!!!! we are helping!!!!" --valve

Comment

That's a sad day for the free and "open source" world.
          Go away Valve, please!

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html
          And how is what Valve is doing really any different from running Windows games under Wine/Crossover ? If anything this helps speed up development of OpenGl & Mesa and better drivers. I doubt Nvidia would really be devoting much dev time to the OpenGL ABI otherwise. Gamers spend cash and just want the best experience possible. If they can use the majority of their existing Steam library and most new games coming out in the future Linux's popularity will rise. If SteamOs is a start
          to bring in a new potential userbase all the better.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
          Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Being unfree proprietary-involved or not, it is still a contribution. And a sign that they are serious about Linux. So I'd say welcome Valve. And of course welcome HSA club and welcome whatever cloud-stuff it was.
            Even if the games on their platform are normally commercial it will give a push to Linux hardware support. Definitely. Suddenly it will be interesting and cool to support Linux. Of course there will be growing pains, because a lot of mistakes will be made until enterprises understand how the Linux thing works. It is acceptable to me to play an unfree game (if it is halfway good) and to pay for a game. I recognize the work in it. (Or in other software.) Of course free as in freedom would be even better but hey, it's a start if things run on Linux. I also understand that multimillion projects are a bit hesitant about releasing their work from the start under CC and GPL/BSD/MIT.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

All of the games that Valve has in it's Steam collection and Steam itself are proprietary, they are just trying to look good by helping some free projects in some small way redeems that isn't something to be fooled by
              You shouldn't get fooled by that. But that doesn't mean the contributions are bad in any way. Heck, if Microsoft became a Linux Foundation member, it would be just fine, too. The money they put in it go towards FOSS, and that's a good thing to all things FOSS. The source of the funds is largely irrelevant; if anything, it's nice that they take the funds from corporate giants, since those are funds that don't have to be paid by smaller companies or individuals.

I don't care about any DRM platform myself, but if Valve writes FOSS software and gives money to fund Linux development, it's not an issue. They should be encouraged to do so (and discouraged from using DRM). Also, do realise that large companies are made of different parts. You might not like what one part does, but that doesn't mean another part is bad. If they have a FOSS development team and a DRM development team, you shouldn't just assume the FOSS development team is somehow tainted, just because they are paid from the same budget. As well you shouldn't assume the DRM team is doing anything better just because there is a FOSS team under the same company. Again, I can draw a comparison with Microsoft ? their software division makes horrible products, but their hardware division makes pretty solid PC peripherals. Both divisions deserve their own reputation to be judged separately.

Comment

All of the games that Valve has in it's Steam collection and Steam itself are proprietary...
                And you don't have to use it.

Meanwhile, Linux users/gamers like myself have been seeing this like a dream come true. Once Steam for Linux came about, I no longer had a reason to keep Windows around. I'm 100% Linux these days and I aint complaining.

Even those of you who reject using Steam, will benefit from improved graphics drivers etc (already have, too).

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                  And you don't have to use it.

Meanwhile, Linux users/gamers like myself have been seeing this like a dream come true. Once Steam for Linux came about, I no longer had a reason to keep Windows around. I'm 100% Linux these days and I aint complaining.

Even those of you who reject using Steam, will benefit from improved graphics drivers etc (already have, too).
                  <sarcasm> So you will replace windows by a steam blob, running game blobs, with blob drivers running on top of an open source kernel, whoo-hoo! Open source ala valve bitches!

Comment

well, thank god we don't play 24/24 7/7 and other software houses might be interested in supporting Linux. Like, adobe providing photoshop. This will force the software houses to invest in already-in-place-tools that are gpl or similar, so that the whole OS infrastructure will benefit same as the software house. And they will see that to support Linux it will be easier if instead of recreating the tools you just SEND the code, and if the code is good will be accepted. Think about the process they have to go now thorugh with Microsoft and Apple, to modify/insert/whatever inside their OS functions and support for thing that they could build all togheter to support each other and share costs..

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                      So you will replace windows by a steam blob, running game blobs, with blob drivers running on top of an open source kernel, whoo-hoo! Open source ala valve bitches!
                      Yes.

There. You've nailed it. Congratulations.
                      You see, now we are now longer dependent on the inferior OS which costs money.

And by the way, this may come as a shock, but most "normal" end users who are interested in the GPU, are only interested in the driver software that comes from, or is recommended by, its vendor. Be it open source like in Intel's case or fully proprietary like Nvidia's, that doesn't matter at all for the folks who just want a product that is guaranteed (by its vendor) to actually work.

Comment

Working...
                      X