Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doom 3 BFG On Linux Is Still An Active Pet Project

Phoronix: Doom 3 BFG On Linux Is Still An Active Pet Project

Last week marked the one year anniversary of id Software open-sourcing their Doom 3 BFG engine changes. While they didn't release a Linux client for Doom 3: BFG Edition, a small group of open-source developers did a community Linux version via the RBDOOM-3-BFG project. That though appears to be the only major development work still around the open-source Doom 3 code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why...

I wonder why Quake 3 engine was such a success, and even the Quake 2 engine too, and Quake 1 engine too were successes.

But for some reason the Doom 3 engine never saw that success.
    I wonder why it was never picked up like the earlier engine releases?

The engine from Doom 3 BFG edition should be pretty good, because it contains some code from the Rage engine which is the next engine after the Doom 3 engine.
    So it is not just the Doom 3 engine, the BFG edition is actually beefed up.

Comment

sad, sad story

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      The engine from Doom 3 BFG edition should be pretty good, because it contains some code from the Rage engine which is the next engine after the Doom 3 engine
      the only thing something ported from Rage should be is screwed beyond repair.
      Carmack fucked up good with it. I tried it when it came out and when recently it had free days on Steam - both times it was the most broken game i have ever seen, while looking uglier than good old Half-Life 2. doesn't help that he betrayed Free community, refuses the idea of games being capable of art and having cohesive plot, fused new engine to Nvidia software and got his company bought by Zenimax.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
        Carmack fucked up good with it. I tried it when it came out and when recently it had free days on Steam - both times it was the most broken game i have ever seen, while looking uglier than good old Half-Life 2. doesn't help that he betrayed Free community, refuses the idea of games being capable of art and having cohesive plot, fused new engine to Nvidia software and got his company bought by Zenimax.
        I dont know why people rage so much about rage. It works great now (maybe some 'texture popin' glitches but not that much) , i played more than half a year back.It looked beautiful , no way is HL2 gfx comparable.
        Yes it had launch issues and story was meh but so what, i loved it good shooting mechanics.

update your drivers ?

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
          I think the reason it isn't much popular among open source developers, is that their Quake engine based engines are already in par or a little more advanced feature wise than Doom3 BFG edition. Only interesting thing back ported from rage engine is multithreading modifications.
          That, along with the fact that the Doom 3 engine is one order of magnitude larger and more complicated. A semi-competent developer, with some effort, could grasp the Q3 engine within its entirety and start throwing shiny stuff on top (per-pixel lighting, parallax mapping, etc etc.)

D3 requires more effort, and not so many people are willing to do that for a hobby.

Comment

Other idTech4 based games

What about Steel Storm 2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
              BS. I finished Rage (and Scorchers DLC) a few days ago. On Linux. It works as smooth or smoother than any Linux native game. Including H-L2. But Rage pushes 50 or 100x more polygons and textures than H-L2.

Doom 3 BFG introduces a very fast, Rage-like threading model.

Comment

Well, with Carmack leaving id we should be thankful for the source code we have gotten, because I seriously doubt we will see any more from them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  Well, with Carmack leaving id we should be thankful for the source code we have gotten, because I seriously doubt we will see any more from them again.
                  I think this the end of an era and I'm grateful because I think he open sourced as much id Tech 5 code as possible before the game was over.

Comment

you people and your "everything was good for me, so that means problems don't exist"-attitude. pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                    X