Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reported Steam Linux Use Still Right Around 1.0%

Phoronix: Reported Steam Linux Use Still Right Around 1.0%

With the start of a new month comes some new numbers out of Valve as part of their Steam hardware/software survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still don't get how this information is collected. Does the users answer to it manually? Why doesn't Valve not just automatically detect it when clients connect to the servers? I can chime in with the choir on "I've been running Steam every day for a couple of months now, and I've never seen that survey". But I've never seen it on Windows either, but I've only used Steam about 10 times on that platform.

Comment

so Ubuntu alone is bigger than all other +1000 distros combined?

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        Fascinating! So Linux isn't at around 24% as some of the delusional rabid Linux fans claim..... It's still exactly at 1%. Just like well, forever.
        there is a lack of games for linux because there is no a large userbase
        there is no a large user base because there is a lack of games

Comment

Biassed, biassed, biassed

I've only logged in 3 times to my steam account from windows, and I've been asked for the survey once. I log in from linux almost everyday to play Prison Architect and now Rogue Legacy, times that it has asked me for the survey, less than in windows.
          Someone has to take a look to those sampling algorithms.

Comment

After gaming on Linux for weeks, I booted windows, to play LFD2.

And I got the survey.

I just reinstalled steam on openSUSE, and got the survey.

I recently bought portal 2, which still has no Linux version.
            I am now looking at Metro last light. (autumn sale )

The number of games I like, available on Linux is still very low. I am happy about how things are going, but I am also disappointed about the number of steam users on Linux

I can think of a few reasons though.

Left For Dead 2 still does not run very well on my pc on Linux. ( and crashes on windows... )
            Still not many games, available, at least not the ones I like.
            And amd is prob loosing a customer..( vid card)

There is good news too.
            Serious Sam 3 runs as well on Linux as it does on windows.
            Most Valve games ( TF2 , Portal, Half Life2, half Life do run great.

I am optimistic about the future, but there is still allot of work to be done.

On the steam forums, I see some window users looking at Linux, but the number of available games is holding them back to even try.

AMD phenom II X4, HD5750

I have not run benchmarks but LFD2 seems to be developing in the wrong direction.
            The freezing / stutter on Linux is ruining my fun.
            Being attacked by a horde and then have your screen freeze, makes it sometimes impossible to survive.
            Walking into "new" area's has this very annoying smooth for two sec, then freeze for one sec, smooth fr 2 sec, and freeze for 11 sec and on and on.

The old gamers trick, to turn around 360 degrees does not help.

I think I would have been running back to windows, if this was my first experience with Linux.

Edit: I have reported the LFD2 issues on the github.

Comment

Originally posted by toni View Post
              I've only logged in 3 times to my steam account from windows, and I've been asked for the survey once. I log in from linux almost everyday to play Prison Architect and now Rogue Legacy, times that it has asked me for the survey, less than in windows.
              Someone has to take a look to those sampling algorithms.
              I'm laughing at you. Really I am.

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
                there is a lack of games for linux because there is no a large userbase
                there is no a large user base because there is a lack of games
                Your argument proves itself wrong .

The amount of valve-linux-games has grown significantly, althougt the amount of valve-linux-players has not. This concludes your arguments is false.

I would say there are more factors to consider

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  Fascinating! So Linux isn't at around 24% as some of the delusional rabid Linux fans claim..... It's still exactly at 1%. Just like well, forever.
                  ...who ever said 24%? The humble bundles sometimes get that high but Steam itself never did.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                    Your argument proves itself wrong .

The amount of valve-linux-games has grown significantly, althougt the amount of valve-linux-players has not. This concludes your arguments is false.

I would say there are more factors to consider
                    WTF? There are VERY few games for linux, the vast majority of the time I'm just playing Steam games from wine.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X