Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were to create a FLOSS game, how would it be?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course live cds can use swap partititon, but you really count peas. You will gain no speed when using something else than KDE. And as soon as you would start a kde tool, then all kdelibs are loaded as well and you even LOSE memory as usually have another toolkit loaded before.

Comment

Heh... KDE is going to be a problem. GNOME will be a problem. Heck, EDE or Enlightenment would be a problem under the right circumstances.

The reality is, do you 'need' a desktop environment for a "console-like" gaming live-CD? Or, would something a little lighter (Down to just booting into the game, lighter...) suffice?

If you want game save move ability, etc. you'll need SOME sort of UI- but a UI app framework for the desktop, something like KDE or GNOME, is just too freaking bloated for the task. You don't need "app integration". You don't need "printer support", etc. That's what both KDE and GNOME bring to the table for you. In a game, unless you NEED that sort of thing, you just don't bring it along. It's been asked how SONY managed so much with so little in the case of the PS2. It's dead simple. They KEPT it simple. If you're going to do the same thing with this stuff, you're going to have to do much the same thing.

Now, as far as games go, it's up in the air- and you should be able to make a title run on the live-CD as well as a desktop for it to be "useful".

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... KDE is going to be a problem. GNOME will be a problem. Heck, EDE or Enlightenment would be a problem under the right circumstances.

The reality is, do you 'need' a desktop environment for a "console-like" gaming live-CD? Or, would something a little lighter (Down to just booting into the game, lighter...) suffice?

If you want game save move ability, etc. you'll need SOME sort of UI- but a UI app framework for the desktop, something like KDE or GNOME, is just too freaking bloated for the task. You don't need "app integration". You don't need "printer support", etc. That's what both KDE and GNOME bring to the table for you. In a game, unless you NEED that sort of thing, you just don't bring it along. It's been asked how SONY managed so much with so little in the case of the PS2. It's dead simple. They KEPT it simple. If you're going to do the same thing with this stuff, you're going to have to do much the same thing.

Now, as far as games go, it's up in the air- and you should be able to make a title run on the live-CD as well as a desktop for it to be "useful".
        Yeah this would be a great option as well, you could just simply toss the execution of the game into the .xinitrc file and you're set to go. Toss the cd in, let it load, and suddenly a few seconds later, you're in the main menu of whatever game it is on that cd. That really is kinda console like, you could practically build your own home console system off that method for each game. I never really thought of it that way.

Comment

Are any of you familiar with the Linux-Gamers.net Games LiveDVD, or LG-LiveDVD? They've done something rather interesting, instead of using a DE as such, they use Fluxbox and place the icons for launching the games right in the "desktop", the menu will allow you to mount an USB drive and use that for your save games. If anything, it only misses some "gaming tools", such as IM client, IRC, and others. Overall it is a neatly done disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
            Yeah this would be a great option as well, you could just simply toss the execution of the game into the .xinitrc file and you're set to go. Toss the cd in, let it load, and suddenly a few seconds later, you're in the main menu of whatever game it is on that cd. That really is kinda console like, you could practically build your own home console system off that method for each game. I never really thought of it that way.
            Not to mention that with LinuxBIOS compatible systems, in theory, you could be into the game in as little as 5-8 seconds from system boot up!

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
              Not to mention that with LinuxBIOS compatible systems, in theory, you could be into the game in as little as 5-8 seconds from system boot up!
              Shh... Don't let anyone get any ideas here... You might cause trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Shh... Don't let anyone get any ideas here... You might cause trouble...
                It's been my err... ahh... mmm... pet project (at least in thought) to get a LinuxBIOS compatible motherboard (preferably MicroATX), put some well supported graphics card in, have a rather minimalistic setup and create a live system/micro distro so that to use it JUST like a Console (with the advantage of being upgradeable, according to user's needs)... Hopefully when Linux gets in-kernel mode setting full graphics boot/system startup will be seamless to the user with simply a "Loading" screen and BAM! PlayTime!

Comment

If I were looking to pitch a OSS game I would follow the MMO model. OSS client & server so you can do your own thing or... pay subscription to moi and use my professionally hosted huge bandwidth cluster.

I would stear away from making a WoW clone as you'd just be yelled at, instead I'd try and make something that kind of resembled the PvP 'pew pew' and time based skill system of EVE:Online with elements of Earth & Beyond. I'd probably try and find a way of doing all three x86 formats and at least one console; really rake it in as it were.

Not a clue what engine or stuff.

Comment

With only one problem: money. If there is one thing people underestimate with MMOs then it's running costs. It just blows you away. Unless your pockets are deep or you get a lot of money from the users it's a no-go. What goes for the engine... I think there's some MMO engine out there but I can't remember anymore out of my head what it's name is.

( and yes, 3 month old post... who cares... kick on the topic :P )

Comment

I think what Linux gaming needs is a real innovation...
                      See, we got Tabbed Browsing before IE, we got the KDE 4 desktop that gave many great technologies (which are more or less stable), we got 3D effects of which Vista users can only dream from, etc etc.
                      HOWEVER, (apart from the at the moment crappy graphics and sound card support) if you look at the gaming site you can see many very small games with a handfull special ones like Neverball. Then you got the big OSS games like Nexuiz, Warsaw, Planeshift, Freeciv and so on, but these copied most features from other comercial (partly Windows) Games like UT, Civilization, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft (warsaw is a bit special through its graphics). The OSS variants of these are quite good, however, they all use a known concept and don't do much to improve that one but only copy it.
                      So, if I was to create a FLOSS game, I'd first take some time to really find some NEW concept, or at least wouldn't try to just copy some Windows game.

Comment

Working...
                      X