Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Supports New Advanced Simulation Features

Phoronix: Unigine Supports New Advanced Simulation Features

While the Unigine Engine sadly hasn't taken off in the expanding world of Linux gaming, Unigine appears to be successfully luring in commercial customers with using the advanced 3D game engine for visualization and simulation purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The video looks absolutely horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by ACiD View Post
      The video looks absolutely horrible.
      Yeah, compared with Heaven, I was extremely unimpressed by this demo.

On the other hand, it doesn't matter because I'm too poor to afford a card that can run Unigine anyway

Comment

unigine hasn't taken off because it costs thousands++ to license
        why would anyone pick it over e.g, unity?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          unigine hasn't taken off because it costs thousands++ to license
          why would anyone pick it over e.g, unity?
          Unreal costed ~$24,000 for the first year of licensing, and then a portion of profits every single year as long as your game was distributed (at least that's what it was when I last checked, which was a while ago. I think they've switched to a dynamic licensing model now), yet people use that ALL THE TIME.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Unreal costed ~$24,000 for the first year of licensing, and then a portion of profits every single year as long as your game was distributed (at least that's what it was when I last checked, which was a while ago. I think they've switched to a dynamic licensing model now), yet people use that ALL THE TIME.
            Cool? And exactly what tech does unigine have making it worth anywhere near that much? Or notable games published with it?

There's no reason to use unigine when unity exists, barely anyone even uses the royalty version of unreal(UDK) anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
              While the Unigine Engine sadly hasn't taken off in the expanding world of Linux gaming
              Why sadly? It's just another proprietary engine

Comment

Cool? And exactly what tech does unigine have making it worth anywhere near that much? Or notable games published with it?

There's no reason to use unigine when unity exists, barely anyone even uses the royalty version of unreal(UDK) anymore.
                Unity based games, for the most parts, suck. I've no clue if it's the developers that can't try/catch basic NullReferenceExceptions or if the engine is that horrible. Every single game I tried (Guns of Icarus Online, Verdun, Kerbal, Sir You are being hunted) is crashing at least once/hour (sometimes even reproduceable).

Also if you compare Unity to Unigine...Unigine is far more powerful, regardless of what you look at. Be it graphics, performance or stability. Also you can simulate a far greater world in Unigine.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  Unity based games, for the most parts, suck. I've no clue if it's the developers that can't try/catch basic NullReferenceExceptions or if the engine is that horrible. Every single game I tried (Guns of Icarus Online, Verdun, Kerbal, Sir You are being hunted) is crashing at least once/hour (sometimes even reproduceable).

Also if you compare Unity to Unigine...Unigine is far more powerful, regardless of what you look at. Be it graphics, performance or stability. Also you can simulate a far greater world in Unigine.
                  So uh, what games have been published with unigine that show off its "power" or "stability"?

Comment

So uh, what games have been published with unigine that show off its "power" or "stability"?
                    Relics of Annorath. It's in Alpha right now and that game did not crash once on me. OilRush would be another one.

Sadly there are not that many games for it. But that's 2/2 that don't crash. While for Unity we've 4/4 that are crashing.

Comment

Working...
                    X