Star Citizen + Linux + Mantle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Citizen + Linux + Mantle

I have to say I find the interrest in Mantle pretty nice.
    It also seems that devs, that develops games with Mantle-support, are supporting Linux right of the bat (Frostbite 3 engine, Star Citizen).

I'm supporting Mantle to push the PC as a gaming platform even further and negate one of the advantages of a console over a PC. Hardly the actions of someone about to sell out! :-)

As far as consoles go Star Citizen will never be on the PS3 or Xbox 360. As for the next gen consoles, PS4 and Xbox One, we have NO CURRENT PLANS, but my stance remains open and is consistent with the many interviews I?ve given -

IF the platform holders (Sony & Microsoft) allow us to update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures, IF they allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms then I would CONSIDER supporting them.

Why?

Well because then they are essentially inexpensive small form factor PCs with a custom operating system focused on gaming and who wouldn't want a bigger community of Star Citizens? If Sony or Microsoft are willing to let their platform be open, then I see no real difference between them or Valve?s Steambox, a Mac or a PC running Linux, all of which are platforms that I don?t think this community would mind supporting as they are all viewed as ?PCs?. In fact most Macs are probably much worse gaming machines than a next gen console (as Apple is the antithesis of what I love about PCs)
    Source:
    Star Citizen Forums

There is no way Microsoft/Sony is gona allow open access outside of there walled garden. Sony may with a push but.... Thinking PS2, but that's Sony's anyway so technically its still within there control/wall

I see no reason what so ever why the likes of BF4 / COD:whatever can't all play on the same servers. The old excuses don't work any more....

I bet most of the game servers are on a Linux cluster/server backend any way.

Star citizen, Hell. The amount SC raised on kickstarter + what people have pre-ordered in since you would have thought it was a no brainer across all platforms with the interest it seems to have generated.

Never got the impression that they was interested, at all in linux.
    One of the reasons I haven't taken a great deal of notice, Hope Am wrong!

Pete.

Comment

They can't play on the same servers because control via gamepad (velocity based controls) sucks in FPS games, compared to mouse (absolute orientation based controls) and keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
        Never got the impression that they was interested, at all in linux.
        He does criticize Microsoft and Direct X quite a bit, if you read the entire post. When I've seen mention of Mantle, devs wants to use it for effeciency, and from there to mention Linux, it seems that there is very little way.

Also in the video from AMD's APU13 conference, the devs from DICE seems to want to support Mantle on Linux.

BF4, and Star Citizen is some pretty big deals for Mantle to prove itself, and with Linux support on both, I'd say the rest of the gaming industry needs to get going.

Comment

Working...
        X