Leadwerks: GDB Is Annoying; Editor Using GTK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Qt was mentioned on the Leadwerks Twitter page.... https://twitter.com/Leadwerks Just forgot to put extra link in article.

"QT forces us to rewrite our program to fit their structure, instead of just easily plugging into our code."
    OK, fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by tjwhaynes View Post
      I was saddened not to be able to comment on the original blog post - I've used gdb for years for many tasks, and it's perfectly suited to debugging in all the scenarios I ran into. If you want something more GUI oriented, I would recommend
      ... nemiver, kgdb, etc?

Comment

From what I see, there is not a single line mentioning GDB in all these links.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
          There is in the comments.

Originally posted by Michael Sartain
          I actually like (most of) gdb and use it all the time.
          this doesn't rhyme with this tough

Originally posted by Michael Larabel
          and game developers have found this GNU debugger to be crap

Comment

There are some good gdb front-ends out there. Does this developer not know about them? I too don't use gdb directly, since CLI is not good enough for debugging. I need to always have the information I need on the screen without having to scroll through a text terminal. And a front-end allows for that.

It would seem that this developer doesn't know enough about Linux to actually be porting games to it.

Comment

After all the bullsh*t i saw in the comments i had to reply

For all of you saying that those developers don't know about Linux enough to develop for it the only thing i have to say is:
              - knowing about Linux is different of knowing about the many GUI for GDB (which happens to be a GNU Project not a Linux foundation one)
              - GDB (CLI version and the basic GUI versions that come in IDEs like codeblocks) _is_ limited when compared to VS10+ or the Intel debugger
              - the fact that you have to know that you have to disable a driver when installing other is not something a Linux user shouldn't be proud of

Instead of saying things that can make those guys abandon ship, support them by giving them tips on how to improve their productivity

Comment

Eh, I too find GDB to be better than VS's debugger. But I agree it's unintuitive and not too discoverable.

Comment

I'm pretty sure code::blocks use a deprecated annotation mechanism in gdb. He should really update to a modern IDE or use a standalone gdb frontend. Eclipse, Kdevelop, qtcreator or emacs is using the better modern mecanism.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
                    For all of you saying that those developers don't know about Linux enough to develop for it the only thing i have to say is:
                    - knowing about Linux is different of knowing about the many GUI for GDB (which happens to be a GNU Project not a Linux foundation one)
                    - GDB (CLI version and the basic GUI versions that come in IDEs like codeblocks) _is_ limited when compared to VS10+ or the Intel debugger
                    - the fact that you have to know that you have to disable a driver when installing other is not something a Linux user shouldn't be proud of

Instead of saying things that can make those guys abandon ship, support them by giving them tips on how to improve their productivity
                    So what are the limitations of the GDB (not the CB gui for it) compared to CDB and IDB?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                      When they ask for something "better" it means to have something more desirable, satisfactory, or effective then the current offering. GDB would be one such debugger offered in linux. I also highly doubt Valve would go through the trouble of improving and developing a debugger if they found the current offering good enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X