No announcement yet.

Leadwerks: GDB Is Annoying; Editor Using GTK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is wrong with the GDB debugger? I hate to see Steam/Valve working on there own, if there is some simple things they could fix in an open source debugger.

The good thing about open source is you can fix and change. What makes the GDB debugger so bad? I find it extreamly useful and nice. The only big annoyance I ever had with it was some argument between the Compler and Debugger peoples about how C++ constructors worked. Couldn't set break points. I figure they got that figured out by now, that was like 10 years ago.

So, why create a new debugger, what is wrong with GDB, just don't say "its crap" what could be fixed in it.

Comment

Originally posted by matobinder View Post
      So is wrong with the GDB debugger? I hate to see Steam/Valve working on there own, if there is some simple things they could fix in an open source debugger.

The good thing about open source is you can fix and change. What makes the GDB debugger so bad? I find it extreamly useful and nice. The only big annoyance I ever had with it was some argument between the Compler and Debugger peoples about how C++ constructors worked. Couldn't set break points. I figure they got that figured out by now, that was like 10 years ago.

So, why create a new debugger, what is wrong with GDB, just don't say "its crap" what could be fixed in it.
      GDB tech is fine, but it's unintuitive and difficult to use. If you've only ever used GDB, you don't know what you're missing. Try debugging on other platforms to see how it should be done.

Comment

GDB itself is not a complete debugger; it shows variables only in the top-most function in the call stack
        Oh, god...
        Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        GDB tech is fine, but it's unintuitive and difficult to use. If you've only ever used GDB, you don't know what you're missing. Try debugging on other platforms to see how it should be done.
        Last time I tried Visual Studio (2008) it didn't really seem better than GDB. What other platforms are you thinking of?

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
          @Michael Larabel

Please fix your article to avoid possible flame war:
          You say that like you think it wasn't the whole intent of that comment by Michael in the first place.

He clearly states that he prefers GTK over their home made GUI, not Qt:
          Yep, Qt is never mentioned anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Yep, Qt is never mentioned anywhere.
            Nice! So much trolling from Michael in a single article. I want him to explain and provide quotes from game developers describing GDB as crap. Idiots who can't install a single driver don't count..

Comment

There's nothing wrong with GDB. He's just using a Micky-Mouse kindergarten my-first-debugger GUI front-end to it, and then complaining when it doesn't have the functionality he needs.

If he really needs a GUI front-end to GDB, he should try DDD (Data Display Debugger,) it's actually not bad and has some useful struct visualization features.

Comment

Call Michael - unprofessional editor,
                call that guy - newbie wannabie Linux developer,
                but you can't deny one thing:

everytime one posts wrong assumption,
                and posts it loud,
                a forest of better ideas/corrections rises

Imagine for a sec, if that developer and Michael would keep all these private?

As some wise say:
                say stupid thing and look stupid only till someone corrects you, or
                keep your mouth shut, imitate wisdom, but in reality - stay stupid forever.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  Call Michael - unprofessional editor,
                  call that guy - newbie wannabie Linux developer,
                  but you can't deny one thing:

everytime one posts wrong assumption,
                  and posts it loud,
                  a forest of better ideas/corrections rises

Imagine for a sec, if that developer and Michael would keep all these private?

As some wise say:
                  say stupid thing and look stupid only till someone corrects you, or
                  keep your mouth shut, imitate wisdom, but in reality - stay stupid forever.
                  I agree with that, but it doesn't change the fact the guy is supposed to be a professional, and is getting paid for his work. He should learn to correctly use the tech, as professionals do, instead of expecting it to be what he's used to, as he should have expected a change when he promised to give support to a whole different platform. I can accept someone putting his free time in a project to whine like a little girl, after all, he's making a gift to all of us, but someone who is getting paid should put himself to work and learn how to use the tools he has.

Comment

Qt was mentioned on the Leadwerks Twitter page.... https://twitter.com/Leadwerks Just forgot to put extra link in article.

"QT forces us to rewrite our program to fit their structure, instead of just easily plugging into our code."
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                      Got any sources for that lovely bit of FUD there, Michael?

And yeah, it seems like someone really ought to have RTFM here. Why do we even need to tell developers this.
                      I've had this question pop up a few times now. Can be summed up as "why is Rad/Valve working on LLDB on Linux - isn't it already done?" Some...

"When we talk to developers and say, 'if you can pick one thing for Valve to work on the tools side to make Linux a better development target,' they always say we should build a debugger," he said.

Valve's Gabe Newell likes Linux. A lot. In spite of the operating system representing less-than-one percent share by every metric used by Valve, Newell believes that Linux will play a large role in t...
                      Last edited by deanjo; 09 November 2013, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X