Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday To The Steam Linux Client

Phoronix: Happy Birthday To The Steam Linux Client

It was one year ago today that Valve first made available the Steam Linux beta! While Phoronix was exclusively covering Valve's Linux developments in the months prior, it was on 6 November 2012 that Valve began rolling out the Steam Linux beta to selected participants...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...and still no benchmarks.

Yes, I know, steam autoupdates and doesn't quit properly.

But current GPU comparisons on phoronix aren't giving me the info I want: how does this gpu fare in Dota 2? Is Metro gonna make my pc explode? How are UE3 games running? etc...

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
      how does this gpu fare in Dota 2?
      All games running on the Source engine are CPU dependent more than the GPU. GPU barely gets used at all.

Comment

Portal 2!

... Still waiting for Portal 2

Comment

I am not happy about how Left For Dead 2 runs on my pc.
          Its noticeable better on windows.

But I am going to report this on the github and or the amd forum.

I have already posted on the steam forums, to see if its just me.

Phenom II X4, at stock 3.2 ghz, HD5750.

Left for dead 2 is the only game giving me issues.

Serious Sam 3 for example runs maybe even better on Linux. ( openSUSE 12.3 64 bit )

So congrats Valve and thank you.

Comment

It sure is convenient with dates for the Steam Linux beta birthday having happened immediately before my birthday
            Happy early birthday!

What better way to help Michael celebrate his birthday tomorrow than to subscribe to Phoronix Premium or send a paypal tip!

Comment

Originally posted by [knuckles] View Post
              ...and still no benchmarks.

Yes, i know, steam autoupdates and doesn't quit properly.

But current gpu comparisons on phoronix aren't giving me the info i want: How does this gpu fare in dota 2? Is metro gonna make my pc explode? How are ue3 games running? Etc...
              +1

qft

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                This year has certainly been the year of Linux gaming
                QFT. While there is still a lot to be done, it certainly has been the year of Linux gaming. I am now using Linux as a gaming machine, something I never did before. Apart from few hiccups, installing new games and getting them to run fine is now as easy as it gets.

Comment

Does anyone else have the problem with steam not launching on AMD graphics and any kernel above 3.9.x?
                  I've seem a few posts about this, but no solution has worked for me so starting a new thread in the hopes that this may be a separate problem and whatever help I can get may help someone else. I'm running a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 on Kubuntu 12.10 32 bit. I've previously had steam working, but a while ago it stopped. I've tried completely reinstalling with no luck.

Also, when will Big Picture finally work?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                    Does anyone else have the problem with steam not launching on AMD graphics and any kernel above 3.9.x?
                    I've seem a few posts about this, but no solution has worked for me so starting a new thread in the hopes that this may be a separate problem and whatever help I can get may help someone else. I'm running a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 on Kubuntu 12.10 32 bit. I've previously had steam working, but a while ago it stopped. I've tried completely reinstalling with no luck.

Also, when will Big Picture finally work?
                    I'm using r600g on a 6850 and it seems to work well, including big picture.

Comment

Working...
                    X