Valve Shows Off Steam Machines Prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Yeah, and guess if regular distros will want to start implementing stuff just to remain compatible with SteamOS... no one is doing it for Canonical/Mir, why would they do it for Valve?

I mean sure, if SteamOS gets developed openly in collaboration with the community (not evident so far), it could probably work, but if they just start doing things according to their own whims and expect everyone else to follow no matter whether it's practical for them to do so (a l? Canonical), then it's just going to be another incompatible platform, separate from the rest of the Linux ecosystem.
    I think the compatibility requirements will be little more than support for steam, and the game controller, which I assume will be open source, or at least, freely available. Thus, I doubt that compatibility will be a massive issue. Valve could just maintain a repository which has all the stuff needed, which would reduce the fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Yeah, and guess if regular distros will want to start implementing stuff just to remain compatible with SteamOS... no one is doing it for Canonical/Mir, why would they do it for Valve?

I mean sure, if SteamOS gets developed openly in collaboration with the community (not evident so far), it could probably work, but if they just start doing things according to their own whims and expect everyone else to follow no matter whether it's practical for them to do so (a l? Canonical), then it's just going to be another incompatible platform, separate from the rest of the Linux ecosystem.
      That remains to be seen. Valve already mentioned that there won't be any exclusive games to SteamOS and they mentioned that they want their games to run on as many platforms as possible, so naturally it means they need to use standard components in SteamOS. Also, Valve already released their client to other Linux distros and already has a lot of people using it, so it's highly unlikely for them to render those clients obsolete. But I agree, if they started acting like Canonical it will just be another Android, a Linux that is not really Linux, but I personally doubt they will go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        it will just be another Android, a Linux that is not really Linux
        That's about the only way to make Linux acceptable to the masses.

Comment

The gfx card placement is interesting in that SteamBox, the used hardware is standard, the board looks like an OEM model of ASRock Z87E-ITX and the cpu cooler is Zalman CNPS2X. From the specs a 27x84 mm sized cpu cooler can not be too quiet under full load but the case looks nice. My guess is that the firmware has different defaults for this system like legacy mode completely disabled and uefi in fast boot mode with usb / ps2 keyboard init and fully enabled powersave modes. Generic ASRock boards do not really shine in that areas.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            That's about the only way to make Linux acceptable to the masses.
            Intel, Samsung and Jolla beg to differ.

Comment

Damn... that box looks even better than my own bend and welded box... curious about the cooling efficiency.

SteamOS gets interesting when we can get our hands on the code, to test and hack

Comment

Working...
              X