Valve Shows Off Steam Machines Prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
    So it is not a fully-fledged operating system where I can install everything.
    However I should still be able to install e.g. Fedora as a second operating system, right? I just hope that it will be possible to achieve the same gaming experience on a regular Linux distribution and that there aren't any important features that are exclusively available for the steam OS.
    I think their purpose behind SteamOS is to be the reference platform for gaming, so Valve will only take care of the gaming part and will leave it to other distros to get their distros compatible with that reference OS. Game developers will only need to make sure their games run on SteamOS and then it's other distro's responsibility to make sure their distros are compatible with SteamOS.
    In other words, if you want a full desktop OS you won't need to use SteamOS itself, you'll instead need to install a distro that gets itself compatible with SteamOS in terms of both functionality and performance.

Comment

I'm not sure they're going to get a lot of traction with this initiative. They sure are committed to it, however.

Comment

Originally posted by marciocr View Post
        Ubuntu it is the only distro supported and probably will be the "developer kit" for Steam Machine games. So don't expect a distro very different of Ubuntu.
        Gabe has said that Steam OS will be completely open and hackable: "Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want." (http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/)

So, as long as the libraries/drivers etc are available for your architecture, you should be able to run it on any distro you please. I agree that the default distro will be Ubuntu-based, though.

That's my understanding anyhoo.

Comment

A good start

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Year of the Linux gaming PC disguised as a console! So the year of the Linux desktop has to wait yet again.
          It will probably be a good start. All games available on Steam OS will be available on the Linux desktop client as well Many that has been dual booingt to play games might soon se no need anymore either.

Comment

wheres the streaming stuff?

one of the biggest selling points for me is the streaming support, so it is a bummer they are still talking about the boxes, what i really want to know right now is when THE SOFTWARE comes out.
            they also had no major news about the controller (particularly they did not send out new videos to clear up what they do).

for other commenters i would like to clear up that SteamOS IS big picture mode (in front of an optimized blank canvas instead of your desktop). if you joined the steam beta you already can see the one-stop features such as networking, system info, controller and mic settings, sleep+shutdown, and even the streaming controls (that requires multi-login, which is not possible under the current system)
            -as it appears to be described on the verge though is that you would have wipe the manufacturer-sent operating system for a normal desktop. however, after setting up the distro, auto-big picture and auto-login, you will not lose features available to plain steamOS

finally i hate the verge commenters, they dont like the controller because they are not bothered to look at the specs for a second, biggest comment is "no physical control".sure: grooved, dippled, vibrating pads are worse than a thumbstick, any tech-deprived person would say they both are not very physical, any bigger spread of the phrase and you would be arguing for the use of paintball guns.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
              Gabe has said that Steam OS will be completely open and hackable: "Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want." (http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/)

So, as long as the libraries/drivers etc are available for your architecture, you should be able to run it on any distro you please. I agree that the default distro will be Ubuntu-based, though.

That's my understanding anyhoo.
              If GabeN is going to be committed to the philosophy of hackability and alteration then I would assume at one point they would shift towards the open-source drivers. Once those stacks mature that is, sans Intel which pretty much has their drivers up to date.

Comment

Valve says it's in active talks with streaming companies, and working with a variety of developers to develop their games for SteamOS
                So I wonder how likely it is, that this will mean Steam will be full of games that run on SteamOS, but not on regular Linux distros...

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  I think their purpose behind SteamOS is to be the reference platform for gaming, so Valve will only take care of the gaming part and will leave it to other distros to get their distros compatible with that reference OS. Game developers will only need to make sure their games run on SteamOS and then it's other distro's responsibility to make sure their distros are compatible with SteamOS.
                  Yeah, and guess if regular distros will want to start implementing stuff just to remain compatible with SteamOS... no one is doing it for Canonical/Mir, why would they do it for Valve?

I mean sure, if SteamOS gets developed openly in collaboration with the community (not evident so far), it could probably work, but if they just start doing things according to their own whims and expect everyone else to follow no matter whether it's practical for them to do so (a l? Canonical), then it's just going to be another incompatible platform, separate from the rest of the Linux ecosystem.

Comment

I was expecting something fancier in the HW design for the box. The controller is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      I was expecting something fancier in the HW design for the box. The controller is cool.
                      I actually read the articles from Engadget and The Verge, and in those articles, it is clearly stated that the box shown is just a reference design. It won't actually be commercially available. That said, I kinda liked it. What I'm really interested in is the SteamOS, what package manager it uses, if I can install a real file manager and desktop on it, all that sort of thing. I also want pricing and availability of the Steam controller as well.

All of this means nothing without the games to back it up though, so I'm really interested in what they say come January.

Comment

Working...
                      X