Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Publishes October Steam Hardware Survey

Phoronix: Valve Publishes October Steam Hardware Survey

Valve has released their latest hardware/software survey statistics for the following month. Is Linux back above a 1% market-share for gamers?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would not worry, firstly most top rated games still are windows only, people installed steam under linux and went back to their windows to play the games that don't run under Linux. Personally I have my uber machine and another that has a 10-5800k and a AMD HD6770, and I can play the Linux games on it, but still prefer my main machine. Most people still don't like dual booting, I know I don't.

Comment

Gaming won't bring popularity and/or bigger usage share to Linux. Gaming is not the problem.

The problem is, if I ask now, here, which OS I should use instead of Windows 7 the following will happen:

A: - Choose Fedora!!!
      B: - No Fedora is too buggy! Choose Arch!
      C: - No Arch is too hard for a beginner! Choose Mint!
      D: - No Mint is not supported well. Choose Ubuntu!
      E: - Ubuntu? Canonical is the devil and spying on you.

So I/He/She will end up to return to Windows. So simple.

Personally when I was trying to search the web for the best Linux alternative to Windows, I was bumping on articles that proposed distros based on politics (avoid Ubuntu no matter what) and I was lucky to try Ubuntu before I quit. I didn't know who is Shuttleworth, nor Torvalds, nor GNU, nor Red Hat but everyone is proposing to the masses what he prefers. No "A" proposal to make people enter to this world.

If you enter Linux you will never go back. But community is SO sort-sighted.
      Last edited by verde; 01 November 2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

That is expected. There was no change in the Linux offering so naturally there wouldn't be a change in usage. Usage statistics won't be much meaningful until SteamBoxes are available to consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          Gaming won't bring popularity and/or bigger usage share to Linux. Gaming is not the problem.

The problem is, if I ask now, here, which OS I should use instead of Windows 7 the following will happen:

Personally when I was trying to search the web for the best Linux alternative to Windows, I was bumping on articles that proposed distros based on politics (avoid Ubuntu no matter what) and I was lucky to try Ubuntu before I quit. I didn't know who is Shuttleworth, nor Torvalds, nor GNU, nor Red Hat but everyone is proposing to the masses what he prefers. No "A" proposal to make people enter to this world.

That is why it will be steamOS as being the most popular in the long run. It will be the gamers OS, those other choices will not even be considered when it comes to the steam machine. SteamOS in the long run will have way more users then all the distros combined. You will see HP steam machine, Dell steam machine, Lenovo steam machine and probably many others.

Comment

Linux is at 1.78% not much has changed since the past year. I remeber it was a bit closer to 2% at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by vaudevillian View Post
              That is why it will be steamOS as being the most popular in the long run. It will be the gamers OS, those other choices will not even be considered when it comes to the steam machine. SteamOS in the long run will have way more users then all the distros combined. You will see HP steam machine, Dell steam machine, Lenovo steam machine and probably many others.
              You still don't know the details of SteamOS. Wait until it's released for the storm of hatred to begin.
              That said, I agree that SteamOS will likely grab the biggest share in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Linux is at 1.78% not much has changed since the past year. I remeber it was a bit closer to 2% at one point.
                Thats in part because the Team Fortress 2 Tux object than was avaiable to obtain if steam was installed using linux, so, probably a lot of wubi installations and virtual machines existed in that time. Just a possibility. Or maybe they try ubuntu and they did not like it.

Comment

This is wrong. The masses DO NOT install their own OS, only a limited amount of techies. And is even more complicated now thanks to UEFI stuff.

They buy Hardware and use what's preinstalled. And that's why Valve is making Steam machines.

Is why google has android and chromebooks.

And ubuntu is going to be phones/tablets which should boost awareness and also it comes already preinstalled in system76 laptops, Alienware X51 and Dell and HP are expanding Ubuntu Retail Presence in China.

Dell are to more than double the number of its Chinese retail stores stocking Ubuntu-loaded laptops, Canonical has announced.

Comment

Well, that's nice, but gaming is the problem. I keep Windows only for games, and I know at least 20 people who do. And looking around the internet I do not think we're that unique.

Comment

Working...
                    X