Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Lands In Fedora / RHEL RPM Fusion Repository

Phoronix: Steam Lands In Fedora / RHEL RPM Fusion Repository

While Valve is mostly centered around supporting Ubuntu right now when it comes to their Linux initiatives, the Steam client and its games will generally work fine on other modern Linux distributions. For making it easier to run Steam on Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the binary package has entered the third-party RPM Fusion repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice Hopefully it will work on Mageia.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Its been in Mageia's repos an hour after they changed the packaging licence

Edit: Its in the non-free if that is why you cant see it
      Last edited by pete910; 31 October 2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Awesome Thanks
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
        Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

late?

Why wasn?t it earlier in the Fedora repos?
          Like Mageia also openSUSE has steam in its repos almost since it started on linux a year ago...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Steam Lands In Fedora / RHEL RPM Fusion Repository

While Valve is mostly centered around supporting Ubuntu right now when it comes to their Linux initiatives, the Steam client and its games will generally work fine on other modern Linux distributions. For making it easier to run Steam on Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the binary package has entered the third-party RPM Fusion repository...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5OTg
            You've got some bad info it seems. The link provided explicitly states that this RPM will not work on RHEL. It is only for Fedora.

From the web link:

"Unfortunately it works only in Fedora, RHEL 6 glibc libraries are too ancient, even when using the Ubuntu Steam Runtime.
            I will eventually add it to the RHEL 7 RPMFusion repository."

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              Why wasn?t it earlier in the Fedora repos?
              Like Mageia also openSUSE has steam in its repos almost since it started on linux a year ago...
              Fedora itself can't ship it since its a non-free license and only comes as a binary package.

RPMFusion CAN ship it, but they didn't get a Review Request (meaning: someone packaged it, submitted it for review to make sure it meant QA) until the 3rd of this month.

See: https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2979
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Fedora itself can't ship it since its a non-free license and only comes as a binary package.

RPMFusion CAN ship it, but they didn't get a Review Request (meaning: someone packaged it, submitted it for review to make sure it meant QA) until the 3rd of this month.

See: https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2979
                Also, there already was an external repo for Fedora since more or less the launch of Steam on linux, so Fedora users already could install Steam without problems.

Comment

So am I more likely to keep up to date using this repo instead of Spot's repo at fedorapeople?

Comment

Originally posted by twchambers View Post
                    So am I more likely to keep up to date using this repo instead of Spot's repo at fedorapeople?
                    You could probably use either, but it wouldn't surprise me if Spot deprecated his package now that RPMFusion has picked it up
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X