Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painkiller Linux Dev Recommends Non-NVIDIA Open Drivers

Phoronix: Painkiller Linux Dev Recommends Non-NVIDIA Open Drivers

Earlier this week Painkiller: Hell and Damnation was released as the latest popular game title reaching Linux. Painkiller: Hell and Damnation is powered by the Unreal Engine 3 and its Linux porter has recommended an interesting choice of drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's an awfully thinly-veiled way to say that Catalyst is unstable.

Nothing to see here. Moving on....

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      That's an awfully thinly-veiled way to say that Catalyst is unstable.

Nothing to see here. Moving on....
      Yeah, and also, instead of "This isn't too much of a surprise given NVIDIA's first-rate binary driver status", I would say "This isn't too much of a surprise, given that NVIDIA has not been cooperative at all with Open Source developers, up until a month ago (when steam crystallized its interest in Linux gaming)."

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        Yeah, and also, instead of "This isn't too much of a surprise given NVIDIA's first-rate binary driver status", I would say "This isn't too much of a surprise, given that NVIDIA has not been cooperative at all with Open Source developers, up until a month ago (when steam crystallized its interest in Linux gaming)."
        The subject was about driver quality...

NVidia's driver is excellent under linux... had nothing to do with being opensource or not.

Comment

Of course the comments here have to be extremely pessimistic and troll-like...

Why not a reply like:

"This really shows how far open-source graphics has come, the progress made over the past year or two has been astounding."

?

Comment

Something that's really strange is when I use catalyst drivers, my apu's gfx is locked below 1200Mhz. When I use the open source drivers, I can get 1900Mhz (the highest setting in the bios) and it's more stable than Windows using any other driver and any other clock. Even the Windows version of a game like Garry's Mod will crash if the clock is anything higher than 800Mhz (default) and the system will fail to boot over 1200Mhz.

Comment

A lot of people still complain about both the open-source and binary blob from AMD. I wonder if those people that do and use the open-source drivers are running a 7000 series card? The R600 drivers are good and if you have a 6000> card you should have no problems, right? Or even the R600 can give you easter eggs? Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have an AMD card, just wanted to know the experience of other users.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                A lot of people still complain about both the open-source and binary blob from AMD. I wonder if those people that do and use the open-source drivers are running a 7000 series card? The R600 drivers are good and if you have a 6000> card you should have no problems, right? Or even the R600 can give you easter eggs? Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have an AMD card, just wanted to know the experience of other users.
                It show that OpenSource is Damn Good Thing (TM).

GPU driver stack You can debug into? EVERYBODY can debug into?
                With PUBLIC OpenGL conformance suite?

With RESPONSIVE dev team available to EVERYBODY and their GRANDMOTHERS?

What ever we think about Nvidia binary blob, but Game devs always wanted MORE. Mesa/Gallium just fulfills those needs (iterated above). Its just a matter of providing enough performance, and choice is obvious. (Yes Nouveau would be serious contender if they could sort out their power management issues.)

Comment

Own 5730M and I used 3.11+9.1/9.2 and 3.12+10.0. No troubles so far. Enjoyable usage. Experience better than Catalyst.

When code will trickle down into stable distros (DPM, UVD, ...) it will be GOLDEN

Comment

I have a Cayman-based (HD6900) FirePro V7900 - it costs some $1k so I expected good support from Catalyst; it was OK in many ways, but occasional freezes when suspending were not exciting. With newer versions of Catalyst, things were worse and worde, freezes several times a day.

The open-source was a disaster, most the time it would hard-freeze the card when starting X.org, or the display was totally broken, with squares everywhere. I upgraded to the lastest version of the driver (shipping with Ubuntu 13.10) and still was having issues with suspending (in 50% of cases, the computer hard-froze and the GPU's fans were spinning like crazy), or occasional random hard-freezes without anything in dmesg left.

Now I updated to xorg-edgers version (tracking git) and so far it is OK.

Finally the open-source driver wins, but it was a hard road; I hope it won't break in the future again. That card has been for 2 years on the market now.

Comment

Working...
                    X