X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vaudevillian
    replied
    Originally posted by sabun View Post

While my experience with AMD graphics and Intel graphics have been pretty horrid with Ubuntu and Linux in the past, Intel has come to a point where they are catching up to Windows performance. AMD's drivers really are just hit and miss. Some games perform the same, some don't. I stopped using my HD6850 and gave it to a friend.
    I do admit ATI is more of a pain in the but with Linux. But hopefully that's changing.

Leave a comment:

• sabun
    replied
    what driver versions were you using on win8 and 13.04?
    On Windows 8 in that test, I was using the 314.22 driver. In Ubuntu 13.04 I was using the 319.49 driver [manually installed on both systems]. I honestly do not know whether I would gain performance improvements by doing extra kernal/nvidia tweaks.

The one thing I have noticed to help though, is to use indicator-cpufreq and set it to performance. This will help your fps remain steady. Just a bit of advice from me, Ubuntu 12.10 is not one of their best releases. My own experience involved a lot of performance regressions, screen tearing, sleep getting stuck, and wifi issues with my DWA140. Ubuntu 13.04 really is a better release in terms of performance, smoothness and reliability.

Intel has a patch on the ML (not committed yet) that speeds up DOTA2 by 8%. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/045920.html
    Thank you for sharing, but I will be waiting for it to be a part of Mesa first, rather than doing it myself. I'm not very good at that sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• DDF420
    replied
    I have tested this myself a couple of times. Tried Ubuntu 13.04 vs Windows 8 for Heaven, L4D2, and Dota 2. With Nvidia, performance was similar on both systems (with only Dota 2 having less fps during action scenes on Ubuntu 13.04). With Intel HD 4600 on this i7-4770 I have and Mesa 9.3, my fps was always 20fps less than running it on Windows 8 with Dota 2.

While my experience with AMD graphics and Intel graphics have been pretty horrid with Ubuntu and Linux in the past, Intel has come to a point where they are catching up to Windows performance. AMD's drivers really are just hit and miss. Some games perform the same, some don't. I stopped using my HD6850 and gave it to a friend.

With my current GTX680, my games always perform the same as on Windows 8. I dual boot at the moment to use Unity3D and Corel VideoStudio X6 in Windows 8. While it's not exactly as Valve has said in my case, it is very clear that Nvidia love Linux a lot more than AMD do. Intel seems to be loving Linux more and more with each Mesa release (on the graphics side).

Before anyone may get angry or offended, my results are my own. They only represent my own experiences thus far, but I can definitely say that gaming on Ubuntu and Linux in general has greatly improved compared to when I first started using it in 2008.

To get a glimpse of my similar performance, you can check out my mediocre comparison video here which shows Heaven running on both Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 8 (using the Nvidia GTX680). Just skip to 4:57 to see the end results:

No special tweaking done on either system. Both were set to performance.
    Thanks for sharing i was also using a gtx680 but the tests were done on 12.10. what driver versions were you using on win8 and 13.04? I was going to try again when 13.10 was released. I wonder if you would also gain improvement if doing the extra kernal/nvidia tweaks

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    With Intel HD 4600 on this i7-4770 I have and Mesa 9.3, my fps was always 20fps less than running it on Windows 8 with Dota 2.
    Intel has a patch on the ML (not committed yet) that speeds up DOTA2 by 8%. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/045920.html

Leave a comment:

• sabun
    replied
    Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    I have read a few times how much better linux is to windows for gaming because valve says so. Did anyone bother doing tests themselves ? Most of you are so anti windows it is hard imagining any of you using it.
    I have tested this myself a couple of times. Tried Ubuntu 13.04 vs Windows 8 for Heaven, L4D2, and Dota 2. With Nvidia, performance was similar on both systems (with only Dota 2 having less fps during action scenes on Ubuntu 13.04). With Intel HD 4600 on this i7-4770 I have and Mesa 9.3, my fps was always 20fps less than running it on Windows 8 with Dota 2.

With my current GTX680, my games always perform the same as on Windows 8. I dual boot at the moment to use Unity3D and Corel VideoStudio X6 in Windows 8. While it's not exactly as Valve has said in my case, it is very clear that Nvidia love Linux a lot more than AMD do. Intel seems to be loving Linux more and more with each Mesa release (on the graphics side).

Before anyone may get angry or offended, my results are my own. They only represent my own experiences thus far, but I can definitely say that gaming on Ubuntu and Linux in general has greatly improved compared to when I first started using it in 2008.

To get a glimpse of my similar performance, you can check out my mediocre comparison video here which shows Heaven running on both Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 8 (using the Nvidia GTX680). Just skip to 4:57 to see the end results:

No special tweaking done on either system. Both were set to performance.

Leave a comment:

• DDF420
    replied
    I have read a few times how much better linux is to windows for gaming because valve says so. Did anyone bother doing tests themselves ? Most of you are so anti windows it is hard imagining any of you using it .

Anyhoo thus far windows still outperforms Linux on every gaming test i have done.

I can get on average a 20to 30fps improvement by using a custom Linux kernel over vanilla ( in my case a custom zen kernel with ,1,000Hz timer frequency,voluntary kernel pre emption,Auto use SCHED_ISO policy for X set, Nvidia tweaks = MSI interupts NVreg_EnableMSI=1 and PCIe3 NVreg_EnablePCIeGen3=1) but it's still 10 to 15 FPS behind windows with TF2/heaven/valley.

Anything else i can do ?
    Last edited by DDF420; 13 October 2013, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vaudevillian
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    No. If you want to play good games, play them with OSS drivers. Only if they're not enough, switch to the proprietary ones. Right now I'm using the openSUSE RC version, and it's so new it doesn't support the NVIDIA blob just yet. Which isn't a bother to me ? many of the good games I play work fine on Nouveau (even when Nouveau is generally seen as the worst of the big 3 OSS drivers). Right now I'm playing UFO: Alien Invasion, which is an amazing strategy game, is GPL, uses no DRM, runs natively, uses SDL2, the developers fix bugs promptly, and I get to share my experiences with them in real time. So without any proprietary components, I get to play good games on Linux.

And then we have DOSBox which allows playing a lot of good games, and Wine that does likewise, just will a bit more hit-and-miss (still runs good games like Heroes of Might and Magic III just fine ? in fact, due to the virtual desktop functionality, Wine runs Heroes of Might and Magic IV better than on Windows when on 1080p monitor).
    Which is fine for what you want, but there is many of us who want triple A titles which need the video card proprietary video drivers to take affect of the whole video card, for different games and features. All these developers are noticing thanks to valve and valve is drm and you have to live with it. I bet most of the games that are gonna be ported or developed for linux will be developed with SteamOS in mind and all support well be for SteamOS. There is gonna be DRM in there for sure. You want more games for Linux you get more DRM. I am fine with this personally. I wanna see AAA titles running full tilt, that is going to mean proprietary drivers.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    The ideal situation is to have Native games...and if possible static to avoid problems like "my distro doesn't have this or that" or "my distro only uses version xxxx that is now incompatible with previous version".
    No. Not static. Dynamic bundled. If it's static, you're in the exact same boat: "my distro only uses version xxxx infrastructure that is incompatible with ancient libraries". With dynamic bundled, replace the old library file with a new one and you're good to go.

Originally posted by vaudevillian View Post
    What is your damn issue with tinkering with Xorg settings and using catalyst drivers? This whole damn if its closed drivers I don't want to use it is just dumb. If you wanna play good games on Linux use the binaries.
    No. If you want to play good games, play them with OSS drivers. Only if they're not enough, switch to the proprietary ones. Right now I'm using the openSUSE RC version, and it's so new it doesn't support the NVIDIA blob just yet. Which isn't a bother to me ? many of the good games I play work fine on Nouveau (even when Nouveau is generally seen as the worst of the big 3 OSS drivers). Right now I'm playing UFO: Alien Invasion, which is an amazing strategy game, is GPL, uses no DRM, runs natively, uses SDL2, the developers fix bugs promptly, and I get to share my experiences with them in real time. So without any proprietary components, I get to play good games on Linux.

And then we have DOSBox which allows playing a lot of good games, and Wine that does likewise, just will a bit more hit-and-miss (still runs good games like Heroes of Might and Magic III just fine ? in fact, due to the virtual desktop functionality, Wine runs Heroes of Might and Magic IV better than on Windows when on 1080p monitor).

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by vaudevillian View Post
    I don't know peoples problems. I have a ati hd6850, in my Linux test box running triple monitors playing games on steam with pretty good frame rates. What is your damn issue with tinkering with Xorg settings and using catalyst drivers? This whole damn if its closed drivers I don't want to use it is just dumb. If you wanna play good games on Linux use the binaries. My cs source is running at 110fps triple monitor. As soon as the 8000 series come out and the 7000 series get more support in Linux, my Linux box will have the 2 7950s I am running in my win gaming machine.
    The purpose for people favoring the open source drivers is not to encourage companies to go closed source. So, sacrificing performance for the sake of supporting the open source is not a dumb thing.

Leave a comment:

• vaudevillian
    replied
    I don't know peoples problems. I have a ati hd6850, in my Linux test box running triple monitors playing games on steam with pretty good frame rates. What is your damn issue with tinkering with Xorg settings and using catalyst drivers? This whole damn if its closed drivers I don't want to use it is just dumb. If you wanna play good games on Linux use the binaries. My cs source is running at 110fps triple monitor. As soon as the 8000 series come out and the 7000 series get more support in Linux, my Linux box will have the 2 7950s I am running in my win gaming machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X