X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• log0
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    I never said BioWare deserves to perish, I said they need to change their formula. The fans that continually fund the same drivel game after game, that have convinced publishers that only these types of half-assed RPGs can be profitable, are the ones that need to perish. They are the problem. They are the ones that made original story based games like Planescape and Arcanum a thing of the past.
    Imho it is not the fans. It is the mainstreaming of games. Given the huge costs, you have to make them appealing to the masses. So you will end up with some cinematic action shooter game a la COD in the best case, not very original but highly profitable.

I've played the ME series myself (am a sucker for anything scifi related). And yeah, it is pretty much a more mainstream oriented KotOR clone (a very polished one though).

Leave a comment:

• DanLamb
    replied
    I hope EA brings the superior Origin to Linux, so us Linux lovers have some nicer options. I can't say I'm dying to play another Battlefield game though.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by clementl View Post
    And we were talking about Bioware deserving to perish, wich I and many people still not agree with.
    I never said BioWare deserves to perish, I said they need to change their formula. The fans that continually fund the same drivel game after game, that have convinced publishers that only these types of half-assed RPGs can be profitable, are the ones that need to perish. They are the problem. They are the ones that made original story based games like Planescape and Arcanum a thing of the past.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Bioware had nothing to do with the Icewind Dale series. Nice attempt to derail the fact that BioWare hasn't made any innovation in their formulaic stories since KOTOR.
    You seem to be seriously obsessed with BioWare and their games. I wonder why?

Anyway, it's been said several times already. If you don't like a James Bond movie, don't go see the next one when it comes out. But by no means is every James Bond movie exactly the same as the previous one and therefore total crap. And all James Bond movies are a lot, lot more similar than comparing KOTOR and ME.

Leave a comment:

• clementl
    replied
    Bioware had nothing to do with the Icewind Dale series. Nice attempt to derail the fact that BioWare hasn't made any innovation in their formulaic stories since KOTOR.
    Yes true, they base their games on a proven format. It is indeed time for them to switch to something new. This video explains everything very well: http://youtu.be/onr_z45NVyI.

Nonetheless, there isn?t probably a single story which follows a completely unique format. How good a story is, is based on how well it is executed. And many people deem the Mass Effect series to be (largely) well-executed.
    And we were talking about Bioware deserving to perish, wich I and many people still not agree with.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    I also can't see KOTOR or Dragon Age to be the same game as one of the predecessors, so actually I am not quite sure what you are talking about.
    You know, some game sell over their story, not their mechanics and that is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Hey, if you want to play the same game repeatedly, forking over $100 every time for the "new" game and the "new" DLC, feel free. You're only feeding the worst elements of the publisher/developer creative system by doing so.
    I can't see Baldur's Gate II to be the same game as Baldur's Gate. I also fail to see Icewind Dale I and II to be the same game as Baldur's Gate I or II, nor can I see Neverwinter Nights to be the same as those, not the first part and its add-ons nor the (not so good) second part. I also can't see KOTOR or Dragon Age to be the same game as one of the predecessors, so actually I am not quite sure what you are talking about.
    You know, some game sell over their story, not their mechanics and that is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• Chousuke
    replied
    Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
    Why doesn't DICE/EA release their games for Linux then? They make a lot of AAA games, I am sure the cost of porting to Linux would be easily covered by the sales. Especially since the game is already being ported to multiple platforms, the code already should have a lot of built in portability. If BF3 sold 2 million copies and Linux was 1% of those sales, that would be 10,000 * $50 = $50,000. I am sure that is conservative too.
    I'm not sure if $50k is enough to cover the cost of porting to Linux at this point. However, with Valve getting behind Linux with SteamBoxes and SteamOS and the growing selection of Linux games on Steam, there is at least an incentive for other companies to pay attention.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Yes, they follow a familiar formula. No, that doesn't matter for a lot of people.
    Hey, if you want to play the same game repeatedly, forking over $100 every time for the "new" game and the "new" DLC, feel free. You're only feeding the worst elements of the publisher/developer creative system by doing so.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    I see what you mean but you are wrong, you tell me I should buy these games that don't break an existing and incredibly tired formula because I should try something new when the problem is these games are not something new. In short: BioWare are the ones that need to try something new, not I.
    No one said you should buy those games. If you don't want to, then don't, we really don't care. We're just saying that we thought the games were awesome, and you not wanting to play them is a matter of your taste, not the games being bad.

Yes, they follow a familiar formula. No, that doesn't matter for a lot of people. Over a thousand years, every story has been told before. The enjoyment comes in the details.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X