X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    If linux achieve an excellent compatibility with windows games, so, why the developers would care to port the games natively to linux?. Afterall, wine works in linux, mac os, solaris, bsd..., so, the same windows (wine compatible) code would run in every unix like OS
    Things don't work exactly that way with WINE....i used WINE in several distros with same hardware to play same Window$ games and what works for a linux distro doesn't mean will work in another distro or at least, not always with exact same results....now imagine with solaris, bsd,etc. and many many more Linux distros in the mix...

WINE will be ALWAYS a last resort to play non-native games (and other software) under Linux ....also a excellent solution to play games/programs that are not even compatible with modern versions of Window$...but that's it.

The ideal situation is to have Native games...and if possible static to avoid problems like "my distro doesn't have this or that" or "my distro only uses version xxxx that is now incompatible with previous version".

...not to mention that EvenBalance said that PunkBuster will NEVER support WINE (they do support Linux) because of technical reasons.

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    There's two major things linux needs is a killer game and compatibility with Windows games. In other words WINE needs to improve massively.
    If linux achieve an excellent compatibility with windows games, so, why the developers would care to port the games natively to linux?. Afterall, wine works in linux, mac os, solaris, bsd..., so, the same windows (wine compatible) code would run in every unix like OS

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    WTF !?!

I wasn't expecting this...then again nothing is concrete.

Yeah, i bet this is actually worrying a lot some people in Tokyo and in Redmond...

I mean...a console that can be build by user from scratch or by reusing a current PC, with all the advantages of a PC than can evolve with time instead of became totally obsolete, AWESOME free and open OS, a controller that breaks all rules in a long time of console gamepads (and that seems better than any other gamepad ever made getting close to level of control of mouse+keyboard), a online gaming service/community that is free, that supports interaction between users, mods and even F2P games w/o paying fees....and now the icing in the cake...the Heavy Duty AAA franchises seem to be coming to SteamOS/Linux.

I said previously that i hate EA/DICE after BFBC2...and i continue to do so.
    I said that i would not buy again more games from EA and/or DICE.
    ...but if they bring BF4 to SteamOS/Linux...i just might cave in...

...that is...*IF* they get their s++t together with Origin (total POS) or come back to Steam...they also must not screw up game controls like they did with PC version of BF3 and put back bots (like BF2/BF2142 have...not impossible to do...DICE said that there is a clear percentage of gamers requesting for it, they will put them back in a free DLC after game launch).

Interesting the info here about Frostbite engine ported to OS X...i didn't knew about it...and because Icculus said that it's a matter of days/weeks to port from OS X to Linux...i have now hopes for a BF4 under Linux

As for ArmA4, that's also very good news if it's true....but it will take some time till we get it because they just launched ArmA3...unless they "CoDify" it...or because sells of ArmA3 are not that great and feel the need to increase pace of ArmA4 dev...

...and BTW, the actuall sells (and not the units shipped to resellers) of BF3 in 1st month was 8 million units...

Now....what Activision/IW/TA will do/say ?
    Can we also have CoD franchise for SteamOS/Linux ?

I bet we will and these are the 3 most famous military FPS franchises

PS: ...and the exclusive title will be HL3 obviously

Leave a comment:

• doom_Oo7
    replied
    Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
    - good IDE integration with a high quality debugger
    As somebody once said : "Unix is an IDE. All of it."

Seriously, I'd take GDB over CDB anytime for debugging. Waith valgrind and gprof you're ready to go.

Leave a comment:

• LLStarks
    replied
    "We totally want to get into Linux but we have nothing to show in the meantime. Port B4? Nah, we don't have time or resources. Next year's game? Sorry, we're already halfway through it. Maybe in 2015 we won't be late to the party. It's just so much fun sucking EA's dick and pimping Origin and god knows they don't want Linux gaming because they didn't anticipate it."

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    I posted a reply before I read the other posts.... I regret it so edited.
    We'll see a lot of trolling from now on, mate. You see, the fear of a possible Android-like success of SteamOS, causes a lot of headaches...
    Stay tuned!

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by moilami View Post
    Good times. Wish they redo all Infinity Engine games and Black Isle games. With ez installation and 1080p support those games has not aged a bit. It is just crazy how game companies has not managed to top the old classics.
    Good gameplay needs time but does not bring money. Look at Planescape Torment. A masterpiece on one hand, a commercial flop on the other. That's why we won't see an enchanted version of Nameless one.
    For me, salvation exists only in indie RPGS because these guys do not have money for graphics so they give their souls to gameplay to refund.
    Looking forward for Eschalon Book3 these xmas and anticipate Age of Decadence.
    Last edited by Apopas; 13 October 2013, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by vyrgozunqk
    No, actually my registration here is older than yours, so go cry to your mommy...
    I'm excited enough to hear about this(BF4), but my thoughts were that Battlefield 4 is too demanding game for the current crappy linux ecosystem...
    Fine, but it's not me crying on this forum. You probably wanted to say crappy hardware, because Linux ecosystem beats Windows according to Valve.

And because of arogont fanatics like you, this system had no future, until valve camed...
    No, it's because the peoples like you who are crying instead to report bugs to proper place - AMD. I'm using nvidia proprietary drivers, so I'm not a fanatic.

You know something... the darn open source developers said that they will probably never support Hybrid Intel/AMD GPU's, "because amd has a proprietary blob, and they don't see the reason to support it..."
    I didn't know about that, but they should support AMD open source drivers (I know it's not an option for now).

If i wanted to use Nvidia based solutions only, i would've bought a mac ( they support nvidia only too - just like linux ) - if you know what i mean - and this is NOT "freedom" - this is stupidity and disability... weak spot...
    So start thinking!
    It's not Linux that supports nvidia, but it's nvidia that has very good Linux support. Linux can't do a thing to make Catalyst better. I wouldn't recommend buying a mac, because it's behind in OpenGL support and performance compared to Linux.

EDIT: And you know Battlefield 4 is AMD Radeon optimised :P "
    Too bad you're loosing this advantage on Linux.

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    If you play BG under wine, then consider give a look at GEMRB
    http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start
    it's, actually, a native port.
    I have tried it, never worked well for me. I think it somewhat worked with BG II, but not at all with BG1.

Was curious to try reworked release of BG because it has got so much hate. So far I like it a lot. Zero crashes and 1080p wide screen. Dunno if it is a bug or if it is because of my lame min maxing of stats with min charisma, but Tethoril identify scroll quest did not work. Never got the scroll (as it should be with charisma 3). Also it seems Nashkell Mines ore sample quest does not work. That's the possible negatives. There is talk about incoming mega patch, interesting to see what will change.

Positives include I don't have to anymore spend hours in researching what mods to install not to speak of actual installation when some mods just fail to install with Wine or Dosbox. I get the BG2 classes, spells, and user interface and a few more NPCs.

So, remake of BG1 is in my opinion greatly worth it - especially as I can now continue Iron Man playthrough attempts on it and solo thief or mage playthroughs. Hopefully they just release native Linux version as they have talked about because can't really support them, if they don't support Linux.

Good times. Wish they redo all Infinity Engine games and Black Isle games. With ez installation and 1080p support those games has not aged a bit. It is just crazy how game companies has not managed to top the old classics.

Leave a comment:

• markg85
    replied
    That would be awesome if they did do this. Right now i doubt if i will buy battlefield 4, but if they release on linux i will certainly buy it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X