X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clementl
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Mass Effect is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003) re-skinned and dumbed down
    No, it's obviously a shooter with a lot of RPG elements, whereas KOTR a RPG with some shooter elements is. Plus it's a story driven game. Most people play it for the content, not the mechanics. And even if you don't like it: that's not really a very objective reason to damn Bioware, is it?

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    with fuckable droids
    What, where?

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Seriously, you can't say that. The Mass Effect series is one of the best of the last ten years which made me cry like a little girl more than once. Likewise, I still occasionnaly play Skyrim after two years. Can't say that of Tuxracer or Armagetron...
    Mass Effect is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003) re-skinned and dumbed down with fuckable droids, why do you think that is the best of the last ten years?

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    Good gameplay needs time but does not bring money. Look at Planescape Torment. A masterpiece on one hand, a commercial flop on the other. That's why we won't see an enchanted version of Nameless one.
    For me, salvation exists only in indie RPGS because these guys do not have money for graphics so they give their souls to gameplay to refund.
    Looking forward for Eschalon Book3 these xmas and anticipate Age of Decadence.
    That's nice and all but Planescape: Torment turned a profit. It just wasn't significant when compared to other infinity engine games which had bigger marketing budgets and allowed you to waste inventory slots by knocking up an elf.

You won't see a sequel to Planescape: Torment because it doesn't need one. Hasbro holds the license and hasn't been impressed by any pitches for a Planescape game not revolving around the Torment theme.

Leave a comment:

• ronybeck
    replied
    Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    I don't mean to feed the troll, but after 9 years of using Linux, one should know better than just buying without checking support and compatibility.
    And before anyone comes and tell me "but you don't have to do that with Windows or Mac", I'll answer I already know, and that it is a valid answer for someone just switching, not for someone who claims he's been using it for 9 years.
    Fully agree. But to be honest, most common drivers come with the kernel. I just built a new rig and I spent more time installing windows plus drivers than was needed to get Linux working on the same hardware. Under Linux, almost all of my hardware was recognised and fully operational from first boot. Only my GTX780 needed drivers to be downloaded to be fully operational under Linux (and Win7). In Win7, bluetooth, network and secondary SATA chipsets were non-functional without installing drivers. All of that worked flawlessly on Linux out of the box without any additional drivers needing to be installed. Seems to me hardware experience on Linux is more satisfying that Win7. But then, I did the research. But even after your drivers are working, then you have the headache of windows updates. Linux, downloads all the latest updates in one hit. Windows7, even with SP1: download 5, install, reboot, download 10 more, install reboot, download 7 more, install, reboot.........repeat ad nauseum.

Maybe Win7 updates will finish just in time for Battlefield 5 to reach Linux. Ah, I can but dream.

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    I don't mean to feed the troll, but after 9 years of using Linux, one should know better than just buying without checking support and compatibility.
    And before anyone comes and tell me "but you don't have to do that with Windows or Mac", I'll answer I already know, and that it is a valid answer for someone just switching, not for someone who claims he's been using it for 9 years.

Leave a comment:

• ronybeck
    replied
    Originally posted by vyrgozunqk View Post
    I won't give a penny for a linux game, no matter how exclusive it is !
    Atleast until they fix those goddamn crappy drivers !!

With my hybrid GPU intel/amd... on windows i can play Counter-strike source with around 180+ FPS... on linux... 30 fps ?! + Lots of lagg and stutter...
    i can't play almost anything...
    This is the case for all amd based gpu's ...

I'm going to give "the finger" like Linus did, but this time for Linus/x/amd .

The operating system has only one purpose ! - to make the hardware work and communicate with the software... since linux in general has so many problems, especially in recent times... ( all wifi drivers are crap + almost all gpu drivers ( without the nvidia blob )) it can't do it's only purpose for me... so it's useless...
    I was using linux for 9 years... but no more!
    I have more than a 100+ games in steam, and i can play only 3 in playable condition!
    So either i'm buying a mac, or i preffer to give 200$ to microsoft and end all the pain, lag/desktop lag/stutter and even DE crashes...
    You don't need to look hard to find people complaining about AMD/ATI drivers on linux. I had only a short time with an AMD video card and found it quite buggy as well. So based on my experience with AMD, you are right. They need to fix the drivers. The NVIDIA experience on Linux is completely different. I can't say I have had any bugs at all really. Valve demonstrated that games on Linux can run faster than on windows (mostly owing to OpenGL though).

But are you really surprised that your AMD experience is so bad? There is a lot of speculation in many forums reporting a less than satisfying experience with AMD drivers. Whether or not it is really true is up for debate but I am surprised you missed this point. Especially over 9 years. 9 years ago, you would have needed to be a bit more careful to choose hardware that had a good Linux driver available. I can't believe you didn't learn that back then. It is less true now as almost all common hardware is supported out of the box. If you couldn't (be bothered to) do the research before making your hardware purchases, a Mac is definitely a good choice for you. Everything will work out of the box. But maybe buying windows and re-utilising your existing hardware is more economical.

Leave a comment:

• clementl
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    I secretly pray for the day when companies like EA, Bioware, Bathesda etc finally just go away.
    Bioware is a division of EA nowadays, and why would you want that? Mass Effect and The Elder Scrolls are some of the greates game series ever made. We need them to run on Linux, not to dissappear.

Leave a comment:

• doom_Oo7
    replied
    EA, Bioware, Bathesda etc finally just go away.
    Seriously, you can't say that. The Mass Effect series is one of the best of the last ten years which made me cry like a little girl more than once. Likewise, I still occasionnaly play Skyrim after two years. Can't say that of Tuxracer or Armagetron...

Leave a comment:

• sirdilznik
    replied
    Yes Linux, and more specifically SteamOS, does need a killer exclusive title to help launch it, and the Steam Machines, into the mainstream gaming market. The company that brings said killer exclusive won't be DICE, though. It will be Valve, and the title will be Half-Life 3. It will probably be an exclusive only temporarily, as Valve likes money. My guess is 6 months. That's long enough to induce people into buying a Steam Machine and hopefully establishing it as a player in the market.

As for DICE, I'm all for them bringing their games to Linux. I have no interest in Battlefield 4 myself, though I'd be quite happy to see that game ride the penguin wave. The DICE game I really want them to bring to Linux is Mirror's Edge 2. See Faith run. Run Faith run.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    I am of a different mind-set than most you. I would rather continue having the great, original Indie games we have today on Linux, rather than rehashed "AAA" games from two years ago with a new skin slapped on and a premium price. I'll never buy any new AAA game on Linux, and it seems currently that most people are of the same mindset, thats good. I secretly pray for the day when companies like EA, Bioware, Bathesda etc finally just go away.
    Some games are just plain good regardless of graphical tier but their communities are driving forces upon themselves. Minecraft looks like crap but my daughter loves it ( I really hate this game ). She enjoys many user maps and that's key. I logged many hours on Diablo 2, it was an arms race and a hard addiction to wave off. QIII Arena, Everquest (WoW if you're 12), CS:S and many others were driven not by state of the art graphics but by amazing communities and online play. The only game I can think of that really throws a gear into this is Skyrim. I love that game and it is arguable both high end graphics and non communal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X