Battlefield 4 Developers Would Love To Get Into Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vyrgozunqk View Post
    I was using linux for 9 years... but no more!
    I have more than a 100+ games in steam, and i can play only 3 in playable condition!
    So either i'm buying a mac, or i preffer to give 200$ to microsoft and end all the pain, lag/desktop lag/stutter and even DE crashes...
    Trolling has a lot of ways "yawns"!

Comment

The trolls are out in force today...

Comment

I won't give a penny for a linux game, no matter how exclusive it is !
        Atleast until they fix those goddamn crappy drivers !!

I'm going to give "the finger" like Linus did, but this time for Linus/x/amd .

The operating system has only one purpose ! - to make the hardware work and communicate with the software... since linux in general has so many problems, especially in recent times... ( all wifi drivers are crap + almost all gpu drivers ( without the nvidia blob )) it can't do it's only
        I see you like to rant but you don't even know who to blame huh?

Give the finger to the right companies / service providers at least, Your driver issues has little to do with the kernel or X.

That been said, i agree full on the driver issues, also if you have "gamer" equipment, you just got yourself even more screwed.

at least you HAVE drivers for wireless and graphic cards, try audio (creative dedicated card), input (razer mouse), input (logitech macro-programmable keyboards) and so on.
        Last edited by Illasera; 13 October 2013, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Linux already has a killer game. Tux Racer!

Comment

Good news, as long as they use a publisher other than EA. Battelfield 4 on Linux I want. Origin, not so much.

Comment

With my hybrid GPU intel/amd... on windows i can play Counter-strike source with around 180+ FPS... on linux... 30 fps ?! + Lots of lagg and stutter...
              i can't play almost anything...
              This is the case for all amd based gpu's ...

The operating system has only one purpose ! - to make the hardware work and communicate with the software... since linux in general has so many problems, especially in recent times... ( all wifi drivers are crap + almost all gpu drivers ( without the nvidia blob )) it can't do it's only purpose for me... so it's useless...
              I have more than a 100+ games in steam, and i can play only 3 in playable condition!
              So either i'm buying a mac, or i preffer to give 200$ to microsoft and end all the pain, lag/desktop lag/stutter and even DE crashes...
              That's fine. Please go ahead and play the games on your operating system. Don't waste your time trolling on a forum with many happy Linux users. You better can spend this time playing your games. Enjoy gaming!

Comment

With my hybrid GPU intel/amd... on windows i can play Counter-strike source with around 180+ FPS... on linux... 30 fps ?! + Lots of lagg and stutter...

The operating system has only one purpose ! - to make the hardware work and communicate with the software... since linux in general has so many problems, especially in recent times... ( all wifi drivers are crap + almost all gpu drivers ( without the nvidia blob )) it can't do it's only purpose for me... so it's useless...
                Agree with the poster above, if you cant handle Linux, feel free to go back to micro$oft or Apple, we'll all be richer for it since you obviously have no plans to stick it out or help.

Comment

Originally posted by Illasera View Post
                  I see you like to rant but you don't even know who to blame huh?

Give the finger to the right companies / service providers at least, Your driver issues has little to do with the kernel or X.

That been said, i agree full on the driver issues, also if you have "gamer" equipment, you just got yourself even more screwed.

at least you HAVE drivers for wireless and graphic cards, try audio (creative dedicated card), input (razer mouse), input (logitech macro-programmable keyboards) and so on.
                  Somewhat I think he says as a frustrating user and you're right, he misjudge Linux for some not so well written drivers. As for me I see two ways to address this, as other pointed out: issue with one company (AMD) for some years on Linux? Use Intel or NVidia.

Don't you like Intel or NVidia? Use a non hybrid tested configuration that works on other people with AMD. Like the "APU" versions or maybe a desktop with hand-picked components and the binary blob.

At last, instead of just screaming that how bad the roads are because your car has no breaks, why not fixing your car? Why not reporting bug reports to AMD site? Why not report them also to the opensource driver vendors? Maybe they can make a remote SSH and see what is wrong on your machine. If you are also somewhat interested that AMD to win, why not donate some time or money to the key opensource projects are related with AMD. By donate, give a half of the money you would pay for buying a NVidia card, so AMD will know (or the developer) that you value the product/software drivers.

DICE initiative is worthwhile because it shows a pain point of Linux and a sensible point shown in another analysis of the state of games on Linux: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...over-to-linux/

Linux needs to be cool, and for this it has not to be the "ported to Linux" status. Is not that I would not love to play Crysis on Linux, if I have it on it, but to think as Linux with personality game. To do so, Linux has many challenges ahead (some of which Valve pointed out):
                  - good IDE integration with a high quality debugger
                  - low level improvements in drivers (i.e. Intel video drivers were be single-threaded instead of drawing in a "batch mode" in multi-threading fashion the drawing commands, making it harder to hit the 16 ms rate for smooth gameplay)
                  - some drivers are missing or very faulty: sound drivers, some "gamer" joysticks, etc.
                  - high quality libraries
                  - creative software: Maya exists on Linux but 3dsmax is not, no Photoshop is still running on Linux, etc.

On the medium run, I think Linux is like Windows 95 with its Plug&Play at its launch. Linux is good for most users using SteamOS, Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora, but you will have sometimes issues. "Plug&Pray" version happens but SteamOS/SteamMachines are the way to go: selling the computer as one piece makes sure that users will not have to either configure or make it work on Linux.

I knew people using Windows95 to run Starcraft, and people buying some consoles to play Mario or Halo or Little Big Planet. A Linux exclusive will do the same at least for some users and is great that is repeatedly bought up. Companies need to sell hardware and we need to "support" it by rewarding good companies and good solutions. But blaming a component - like Linux - (not a product - here AMD - that can be replaced) is a real mistake as for me.

Comment

What does this mean? Is EA going to realease Origin4Linux?

Comment

9 years of driver issues with AMD hardware yet you still continue to buy it?! You are an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                      X