Valve Shows Off Steam Controller Demo Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    FPS game play still doesn't look as smooth as a mouse when they line up someone to shoot. Looks a little better than current controllers though
    I don't play pc games but I was amazed at how much faster he was able to get headshots than I could with a joystick. It may not be as good as mouse, but it IS a heckuva lot better than any controller I've ever used.
    This is really impressive. For something like portal I hope there is a mapping to turn mouse movements into relative mode b/c his finger had to move frantically to turn.

Comment

Not bad but I was hoping for something more impressive. Maybe we'll see more of it's functionality in the future. The touchscreen buttons are probably a little underwhelming next to the wii u's touchscreen but it's a nice feature. No details of the much hyped haptic feedback. We'll just have to wait to see how it plays.

A wii style pointing device would probably be better for games that involve moving a pointer around a screen, but as long as you can play the games that's the main thing (even if some of the games will get people squinting at their tv's). Really, the reason I want a steam box because I have so many steam games already. They only need to supply a functional joypad. A d pad would make me feel more confident because of all the platform games I collected in the humble bundles. Still, playing on this controller might still surprise and impress me.

Comment

Very impressed. This is a clear improvement over joysticks, and I'm sure that will become even more apparent when we can try the thing ourselves. Really can't wait. It's exciting to see this sort of hype built up for a linux-focused game system and company promoting openness. Great work, Valve.

Comment

I have played many FPShooters since their inception (PC and console). A XBOX 360 pad can be used with practice quite efficiently. I would rather have that setup as the constant "resetting" of the finger over the trackpad not only loses time but would become tiresome.
          I will always choose a mouse first and do prefer it however what is basically a synaptic pad is a VERY clumsy control IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            ...the constant "resetting" of the finger over the trackpad not only loses time but would become tiresome.
            I will always choose a mouse first and do prefer it...
            You contradict yourself. Using a mouse surely uses more energy than a thumb trackpad... (and really, "tiresome", lol).

Comment

I just want to buy a steam-controller . it just locks great and much much better than anything like this i ever seen before.

Comment

I wonder if it was better with trackballs instead of touchpads.
                Last edited by Apopas; 12 October 2013, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                  FPS game play still doesn't look as smooth as a mouse when they line up someone to shoot. Looks a little better than current controllers though
                  Noticed that to... looks good enough to play casually, but not enough for playing FPS against 'mouse and keyboard users' ... Still a hell of a lot better than any other controller though.

I believe the learning curve is small to nothing for people gaming on tablet pc's.

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  I have played many FPShooters since their inception (PC and console). A XBOX 360 pad can be used with practice quite efficiently. I would rather have that setup as the constant "resetting" of the finger over the trackpad not only loses time but would become tiresome.
                  I will always choose a mouse first and do prefer it however what is basically a synaptic pad is a VERY clumsy control IMO.
                  Everybody is different, but my experience is that a xbox 360 pad plays less that playing fps on tablet. I thinks this controller will be beter than de 360 pad.

But I'll also be using the 360 on steambox, as soon the steamOS is available... any day now?
                  Last edited by tmpdir; 12 October 2013, 04:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    I don't play pc games but I was amazed at how much faster he was able to get headshots than I could with a joystick.
                    Lining up those headshots in ~0.5s each sure is better than a gamepad. But a skilled fps player is expected to do the same in ~0.2s against a moving target.

With the gamepad, you can still see him aim quickly to the general direction of the head, then looking at the screen to see where he ended up pointing, then slowly adjusting until the head is actually hit. And I'm sure they filmed someone who had experience with these things.
                    With a proper mouse and some experience, you can line up the shot in a single motion.

Is it good enough for fps games without autoaim? Depends. For any console ports where hitboxes, enemy movement and weapon mechanics have been designed with gamepad users in mind, sure. If it works on a gamepad, the Steam Controller should be more than precise enough to play those.

Now grab the Quake 3 railgun and try to snipe someone bunnyhopping across the map. I doubt you can do it. In fact, try bunnyhopping across the map, see if your strafing angles are precise enough to gain any speed.

I mean, go ahead, grab your notebook, get a free Q3 port and play with the touchpad. Same technology. Good luck.

I've played Q3 with multiple technologies, and I found mice to be more precise than a trackball, and trackball to be way better than a pointing stick (like lenovo trackpad), which is still slighly better than a touchpad. Whatever Valve may promise, no gamepad can replace the mouse in all games, and some will still require autoaim.
                    That said, I look forward to it, if only to play freelancer on the big screen.

Comment

So, here we have a controller, that is like a gamepad, but is meant to mimic the action of a mouse+keyboard combo... so it's like a compromise between a gamepad and mouse+keyboard.

Which therefore is worse than a gamepad with d-pad as a gamepad,

...and worse than mouse+keyboard as a mouse+keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                      X