Total War: Rome II To Be Ported To Linux For SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by borsook View Post
    Your math is strange. First, it doesn't matter as they will target steamOS users, secondly why do you assume only 1 per cent of Linux users will buy the game? This is based on... stars? Tarot?
    Pretty much stars/tarot . 50k/100k users doesn't sound too bad. SteamOS is Linux as far as I've read. So it sounds like they could make a good profit by porting to SteamOS/Linux. I was thinking some companies I have worked for couldn't get past talking about it for 150 hours, but for the small company I work for now I am expected to part the red sea for 150 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
      5 million steam users * 1% is 50,000. Yeah that's pretty low, 1% of that is 500. If they sell the game for $30, they can make $15,000 or about 150 hours worth of work. Is 150 hours to port a game like this to Linux feasible? If not they are gambling that Steam Box takes off. I will probably buy it, I have never gotten into a strategy game before.
      Try over 50 million around this time last year. We have no way of knowing for sure what they are at now, but I would guess a fair bit higher. Also, if you are still going by the faulty and incomplete Steam HW numbers, then you have to include most of "Other" into the Linux count, meaning ~1.7% of active Steam users are on Linux. With that in mind we are actually talking more along the lines of 850k active Linux users at a minimum. Even if we go along with your underestimate of the game only reaching 1% market penetration among Linux users at $30 a copy the gross amount the port could hope to bring in up front would be more like $255k.

Not sure where you are getting your $100/hr from though. The average salary for a game programmer last year was around $85k, divide that by 52 weeks and lets be optimistic and say only 40 hours per week we are looking at more like $41/hr. Meaning $15k would get you closer to 365 hours of development time for your porting effort, which is likely more than enough for most games. Though lets say we do go with a $100/hr to cover other expenses but go with my 365 hours, we are still only talking less than $40k, from a very likely way underestimated $255k.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
        Try over 50 million around this time last year. We have no way of knowing for sure what they are at now, but I would guess a fair bit higher. Also, if you are still going by the faulty and incomplete Steam HW numbers, then you have to include most of "Other" into the Linux count, meaning ~1.7% of active Steam users are on Linux. With that in mind we are actually talking more along the lines of 850k active Linux users at a minimum. Even if we go along with your underestimate of the game only reaching 1% market penetration among Linux users at $30 a copy the gross amount the port could hope to bring in up front would be more like $255k.

Not sure where you are getting your $100/hr from though. The average salary for a game programmer last year was around $85k, divide that by 52 weeks and lets be optimistic and say only 40 hours per week we are looking at more like $41/hr. Meaning $15k would get you closer to 365 hours of development time for your porting effort, which is likely more than enough for most games. Though lets say we do go with a $100/hr to cover other expenses but go with my 365 hours, we are still only talking less than $40k, from a very likely way underestimated $255k.

$41/hr for pay. There are health care costs, life insurance, payroll taxes, yearly training, management, retirement benefits, pay for people that support the developers. In addition, Linux developers typically make more than average in my experience, but I don't work in the game industry so that could be wrong. $100/hr was a gross estimate, but more realistic than $41/hr.

Comment

$41/hr for pay. There are health care costs, life insurance, payroll taxes, yearly training, management, retirement benefits, pay for people that support the developers. In addition, Linux developers typically make more than average in my experience, but I don't work in the game industry so that could be wrong. $100/hr was a gross estimate, but more realistic than $41/hr.
          This will obviously vary depending on a lot of factors, but since you were vague so was I. I did however give you the benefit of the doubt and used your $100/hr and went with more than double the hours and still came up with a number that was ~1/7 of the gross take on the game based on other wildly faulty numbers that I estimated in your favor. Obviously I also haven't taken out for Valve's cut or anything else, but since that is an unknown and we are dealing with unlikely worst case estimates I think my assessment of the situation is a fair bit closer to reality, which is everyone making plenty of profit even before Steam Machines enter the picture.

Comment

Pretty much stars/tarot . 50k/100k users doesn't sound too bad. SteamOS is Linux as far as I've read. So it sounds like they could make a good profit by porting to SteamOS/Linux. I was thinking some companies I have worked for couldn't get past talking about it for 150 hours, but for the small company I work for now I am expected to part the red sea for 150 hours.
            Yes, steamOS is linux. But it preinstalled Linux on a new hardware, with big company promoting it, everyone talking about it, it may happen that when it comes out the numbers will be much different. And porting RTW2 shows that other companies think so two...

BTW When Paradox ported CK2 to linux they said that future games will appear on Linux only if it is profitable and since they've released EU4 on linux...

Comment

Originally posted by borsook View Post
              Yes, steamOS is linux. But it preinstalled Linux on a new hardware, with big company promoting it, everyone talking about it, it may happen that when it comes out the numbers will be much different. And porting RTW2 shows that other companies think so two...

BTW When Paradox ported CK2 to linux they said that future games will appear on Linux only if it is profitable and since they've released EU4 on linux...
              Indeed...i believe that if any game have a decent quality , porting for Linus/SteamOS is profitable....in special if there is also a OS X port already.

I say this because Icculus said, IIRC, it is a matter of *days* to port from OS X to Linux...YEAH, it looks *THAT* EASY !

Comment

I told you this was going to be ported to Linux since way before launch CA stated they were going to release additional free formats on other operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                  Agree a lot of windows users will be able to switch. From the Stats, is in the top 10 most played:

Top selling and top played games across Steam

maybe we can also get civ V
                  FWIW, Civ V works flawlessly in WINE.

Comment

That's the only advantage of SteamOS right now. Developers got an awareness that they can and should port their games, which are already available on MacOsX, to linux too.

Whether the SteamMachines will be a success is to be doubted. Why should someone buy a PC only with a gaming OS, when he can also use Windows with Steam's Big Picture Mode. It's the same as ChromeOS, people only buy this stuff because of the cheap price of hardware.

Comment

Good news more software and games on linux is always a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X