Civilization V Might Be Heading To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
    Never buy ATI cards if you are going to use Linux - I have 3 Nvidia devices, one Nvidia/Intel and one Intel GPU-s - no problems running Linux.
    According to your post you don't own any AMD cards to qualify to make a statement that they cause problems.
    I have 2 AMD cards a 7870 and a 6550, both run fantastic.
    Also a Nvidia and Intel the former of which has given me the most problems, even though the software to tweak it is miles ahead of AMD's CCC offerings.

I'm in line for Civ 5.... I can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      I have stayed away from Civ5 so far, but I am still hoping that with enough expansions it might become playable, but so far I haven't seen any plans for expansions removing city-states and reverting Civ5 to be a serious strategy game.
      It's not even possible to change tax values. I'll probably stick to Freeciv for now.

Comment

Originally posted by borsook View Post
        Yeah, the original UFO was great... that said, I actually liked Firaxis' take, provided you play with no reloading and on high difficulty it is very challenging. And looks good too, my wife walking into the room thought it was a FPS
        Yes, it's looking great and it's really hard on some difficulty levels, but it's hard due to tough enemies. I would prefer it to be hard, because of complexity.

Comment

Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
          I just came....

...here to tell you how much i appreciate this.

These particular games are about 2/4 of the reason i'm forced to keep win7 installed. The rest being Skyrim and Deus Ex. Every bit counts.

Edit: a while ago in the Steam OS wishlist thread i hoped for a wine solution baked into Steam itself, but the need for that is diminishing at an astonishing rate.
          Just so you know, Xcom EU runs just fine under wine. Not too sure about Civ V, but the demo seemed to run fine for me, as does Deus Ex. Skyrim runs fine for me, but YMMV.

Still, if Xcom EU does come to linux, it'll be pretty damn cool, even if I've already finished the damn thing once already.

Comment

Originally posted by borsook View Post
            Yeah, the original UFO was great... that said, I actually liked Firaxis' take, provided you play with no reloading and on high difficulty it is very challenging. And looks good too, my wife walking into the room thought it was a FPS
            Jesus I hope you punched her in the mouth!

Anyway I find it amusing that the "year of linux gaming" is apparently arriving ahead of the "year of the linux desktop". Comon Wayland gimmie them goodies!

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              According to your post you don't own any AMD cards to qualify to make a statement that they cause problems.
              Also a Nvidia and Intel the former of which has given me the most problems, even though the software to tweak it is miles ahead of AMD's CCC offerings.

Just try to use other distro then ubuntu - for best rolling-realise like Arch - and you will know what does mean "AMD is shit" - they are every time update his drivers after months releasing the new kernel/Xorg, and the OpenGL compatibility is really bad - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ3MjI They are too really fast put old GPU as unsupported. I will stay away from AMD GPU-s like a snowman from a fire place.

Comment

Just try to use other distro then ubuntu - for best rolling-realise like Arch - and you will know what does mean "AMD is shit" - they update his drivers after months releasing the new kernel/Xorg, and the OpenGL compatibility is really bad - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ3MjI They are too really fast put old GPU as unsupported. I will stay away from AMD GPU-s like a snowman from a fire place.

Comment

When I moved to linux from Win XP about 5 years ago I basically gave up gaming and switched to productivity-only. It was a sad day, for sure, but worth it overall. Now wiith Steam coming to linux, we're beginning to have our cake and eat it too! And damn if it isn't such a sweet, sweet (Schwarzwalder) cake! The fact that the situation is getting better and better only makes the situation ridiculously awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                    When I moved to linux from Win XP about 5 years ago I basically gave up gaming and switched to productivity-only. It was a sad day, for sure, but worth it overall. Now wiith Steam coming to linux, we're beginning to have our cake and eat it too! And damn if it isn't such a sweet, sweet (Schwarzwalder) cake! The fact that the situation is getting better and better only makes the situation ridiculously awesome.
                    Cake?

The cake is a lie.

Comment

ATI/AMD have had a rough history on Linux. It isn't a secret that NVIDIA have offered a better experience all round on linux when compared to ATI/AMD. It doesn't take more than 10 seconds of googling to find similar debates in other forums. Valve certainly like NVIDIA if their PR is to be believed. But it could be that more recent AMD cards are better behaved. Especially given the recent collaboration between Valve and the GFX card vendors.

I am currently using an ATI Radeon HD 5850 and the experience is less than perfect. Switching between different versions of the closed source driver as well as the open source driver yields varying results. Most of the bugs are at the fringe so don't hinder daily use for most part. But I can't take uncorrupted screen shots with the closed source drivers and that is a function that is crucial to my work. With the open source drivers, bits of my screen disappear sporadically. It could be that newer cards offer a better experience but why should the generation of card affect the quality of the experience? I never had any of these problems on NVIDIA with the closed source driver regardless of the card's vintage. Even Nouveau, the open source driver, offered a better experience.

So I have to agree so far. NVIDIA > AMD on Linux. I just took delivery of my NVIDIA GTX 780 for my new rig. So I will be rid of my AMD woes soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X