No announcement yet.

Civilization V Might Be Heading To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this might finally tip the balance enough for me to start thinking of completely uninstalling Windows on my desktop.

Comment

from the stats is one of the most played.

Top selling and top played games across Steam

now we need football manager 14 to come out, and for Rome total war, we got 0.A.D. as substitute for now

Then Only game in the top 10 we'll miss is Elder scrolls V...

But we kinda got Elder scrolls III Open morrowind, so maybe who knows what might happen in the future.

Bermain taruhan dengan bergabung lewat KOITOTO sebagai daftar link resmi toto macau terbaik dan terpercaya, jelas akan memudahkan siapapun dalam meraup banyak keuntungan.
      Last edited by madjr; 05 October 2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        Sorry for being harsh, but sane sane people can't hope for a wine solution ... honestly.
        Then call me crazy, as I would love to be able to play classics like the KotOR games or GTA: San Andreas (or my many other games that will never get ported) without having to close down my native Steam client and fire up one of my Wine Steam clients. It would be real useful and I do hope once the dust settles and Linux/SteamOS adoption has gotten underway that they do in fact add such a feature.

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        But we kinda got Elder scrolls III Open morrowind, so maybe who knows what might happen in the future.
        I am really looking forward to them getting further along with this, I've been wanting to replay Morrowind a bit for a while now, but am holding out to do so via OpenMW. It is getting pretty close already, but I am thinking I might wait another few months before giving a proper go at trying it out.

Another great thing about OpenMW is that since Morrowind and Oblivion both used Gamebryo it shouldn't take nearly as much effort to extend it to include Oblivion support once they are done with Morrowind. The same can't be said for Skyrim though unfortunately, but there is enough similarities between the games to even be a good starting point for that as well. Would be nice to see it one day change from OpenMW to OpenES.

Comment

I wonder why we haven't seen soem of the dosbox wrapped games, like the old xcom's, on the linux market.

Comment

And here I am wanting to play the game for the LAN party on the 12th of October using a Linux box...

Come on, I had to try and find some negative angle, right?

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
              here are some other rumoured linux games:

Cities In Motion 2: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Citie...n-387589.shtml
              Rome Total War II: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Civil...r-387196.shtml
              I know for a fact that Rome II is coming because well before Rome II released, CA made a big statement that Rome II would receive 'free additional operating system formats' in the future which obviously could only mean one thing. No one seemed to pick up on that news though, they were too busy talking about the other things CA stated. Rome II is a broken game though, and every week receives a humongous patch which clearly shows it's practically an unfinished game still in development, so I wouldn't expect Rome II for Linux until the game is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                Very good news, because Civ5 and UFO are very popular games. However, I found them to be very simplified and thus uninteresting. In example civ5 is like 1/5 of Civ:CTP2. I would expect new games to be more complex.. When comes to UFO:EU it has very boring and simplified battles.
                I have stayed away from Civ5 so far, but I am still hoping that with enough expansions it might become playable, but so far I haven't seen any plans for expansions removing city-states and reverting Civ5 to be a serious strategy game.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  Oops, indeed! I have this game, but I was always calling it like that. Probably due to nostalgia.
                  Yeah, the original UFO was great... that said, I actually liked Firaxis' take, provided you play with no reloading and on high difficulty it is very challenging. And looks good too, my wife walking into the room thought it was a FPS

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    I have stayed away from Civ5 so far, but I am still hoping that with enough expansions it might become playable, but so far I haven't seen any plans for expansions removing city-states and reverting Civ5 to be a serious strategy game.
                    You seem to have played some Civ games in the past so why are you saying such silly things? Every Civ game has a setup - set city-states to 0 and presto! they are removed. That said city states are one of the best changes in Civ 5 greatly adding to strategic depth.

Comment

XCOM:EU would be very interesting to see on Linux. It's Unreal Engine 3, so porting is definitely doable, and with Enemy Within they might have had an idea to make a re-release that also includes Linux support.

But that's wishful thinking, and I wouldn't buy it either way due to it being Steam-exclusive. Instead, I'm having a very good time playing UFO: Alien Invasion (version 2.5 is currently a release candidate).

Comment

Working...
                      X