Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Machines Prototypes: Intel CPU, NVIDIA GPU

Phoronix: Steam Machines Prototypes: Intel CPU, NVIDIA GPU

After last week announcing Steam Machines as the Valve-backed Steam "living room consoles" (a.k.a. Steam Box) powered by the Linux SteamOS, today Valve has released the prototype hardware details that they will be shipping to 300 beta testers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The low end among these machines will probably beat the PS4 on all ends. The high end one will blow it out of the water. Can't wait.

Comment

No real surprises there, this combo does offer the best possible performance and stability for games on Linux. I guess Nvidia is happy to be included in at least ONE tv console.
      Though, I do wonder why they are going with such high-end boxes when there's little doubt that the vast majority of customers will be wanting something <$500, so testing the lower boundaries on acceptable perfromance seems more worthwhile...

Comment

No one is surprised by this choice. AMD could've had this one in the bag with their APUs if they just kicked themselves more in the ass when it comes to their drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          No one is surprised by this choice. AMD could've had this one in the bag with their APUs if they just kicked themselves more in the ass when it comes to their drivers.
          exactly, their upcoming apu's are supposed to be getting 20% cpu improvement, they could stick a highend gpu on the chip too and we would have a terrific chip. AMD's lack of funds results in lower quality linux drivers though.

Comment

Great. A bloated PC with super-expensive hardware - for what?. Yes, this is sooo killing the PS4 :P

Comment

So, with these machines having two GPUs (intel + nVidia), can games make use of this somehow? i.e. can the two GPUs work together to render a single frame? I'm talking Linux software wise. Does Linux currently support such thing?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                The low end among these machines will probably beat the PS4 on all ends. The high end one will blow it out of the water. Can't wait.
                If I look on this Steam Machine specs, it looks not like a usual game console, but rather like a gaming PC. I'm hoping the steam controller will work on standard gaming PC's too, because I'm not willing to replace my PC yet!
                Last edited by Fenrin; 04 October 2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Actually this was smart move from Valve at this point.

The messages they're giving are the following:

1- We'll kick console's arse, so port all your big AAA stuff over.

2- NVIDIA you better get your Sh!t together and give A+ support for Linux (and seems they have begun !). And YO , AMD/ATI, we not going to give you the whole gaming monopoly, so if you get your Sh!t together too and behave we'll start promoting you soon. Everyone must support linux!

3- We're waiting a bit till parts start lowering costs so we can give you a mid range pc for those looking for something mid range like consoles. Consoles = the mid range crowd. No point doing that this year since parts prices will get lower soon enough.
                  Last edited by madjr; 04 October 2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    So, with these machines having two GPUs (intel + nVidia), can games make use of this somehow? i.e. can the two GPUs work together to render a single frame? I'm talking Linux software wise. Does Linux currently support such thing?
                    Since they are different vendors I'm 99% sure they can't. I am wondering though if they can squeeze a tiny bit more performance out of this by only rendering on the discrete GPU and using the iGPU to display. I know that work was either upcoming or merged.

Comment

Working...
                    X