Steam Machines Prototypes: Intel CPU, NVIDIA GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Detructor
    this is the first, but probably not the last time I'll write this: Valve, fuck you. You fuckin' fuck.

Could've used some nice working hardware, but nooo it's that 'oh we got some math calculation errors and some interfaces aren't working but our customers won't care'-fucktard-company that will give the processor and the 'oh, we write so bad source code that we don't want to open source it'-GPU producer.

Fuckheads.
    I think someone needs a time out. It should have been obvious what Valve was going to use in their official Steam Machines considering it was greatly hinted in the past that they were using NVIDIA GPUs and NVIDIA engineers were working at Valve to develop SteamOS/Steam Machines.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
      I think someone needs a time out. It should have been obvious what Valve was going to use in their official Steam Machines considering it was greatly hinted in the past that they were using NVIDIA GPUs and NVIDIA engineers were working at Valve to develop SteamOS/Steam Machines.
      Exactly.

It was super OBVIOUS once they started giving the Nouveau team docs and support. $ talks.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor
        this is the first, but probably not the last time I'll write this: Valve, fuck you. You fuckin' fuck.

Could've used some nice working hardware, but nooo it's that 'oh we got some math calculation errors and some interfaces aren't working but our customers won't care'-fucktard-company that will give the processor and the 'oh, we write so bad source code that we don't want to open source it'-GPU producer.

Fuckheads.
        Ok so I'll bite: omg u are so rite!! Better go with the eternal beta eternal buggy amd fglrx drivers? Or maybe lets go opensource and prove to all the gamers out there how linux is infinitely slower.

Great plan! I wish you are the CEO of something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathroom Humor View Post
          No real surprises there, this combo does offer the best possible performance and stability for games on Linux. I guess Nvidia is happy to be included in at least ONE tv console.
          Though, I do wonder why they are going with such high-end boxes when there's little doubt that the vast majority of customers will be wanting something <$500, so testing the lower boundaries on acceptable perfromance seems more worthwhile...
          There will be all kinds of customers and they seem to have a nice variety...

Well, there will some prototypes with i3 and GTX660....could those be the "lower end" pointing to a price tag of 500 USD ? NewEgg lists GTX660(DDR52GB) at $200...but Nvidia can make Valve a better deal for sure...wonder what will be i3 version and what will be the deal with Intel....Intel have a nice chance to enter in console market and i'm sure that they can make a good deal with Valve/whoever_build_theses_SBs_in_large_scale ...

They also selected a SSHD instead of a pure SSD...they got a massive storage (compared with PS4/Xbone) and performance w/ acceptable price.

Comment

I love AMD APUs...in a Window$ machine.

In Linux, nothing can beat Nvidia (and Intel)....and because i only care about performance (in special when there such a difference between OSS drivers and blobs for now) i'm OK with their decisions and i can't see how some get so surprised/upset with Valve choices !

Any other decision would be a suicide from Valve making them the joke of the Year.

No, Valve, doesn't work that way...they want to succeed and not flop

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
              There will be all kinds of customers and they seem to have a nice variety...

Well, there will some prototypes with i3 and GTX660....could those be the "lower end" pointing to a price tag of 500 USD ? NewEgg lists GTX660(DDR52GB) at $200...but Nvidia can make Valve a better deal for sure...wonder what will be i3 version and what will be the deal with Intel....Intel have a nice chance to enter in console market and i'm sure that they can make a good deal with Valve/whoever_build_theses_SBs_in_large_scale ...

They also selected a SSHD instead of a pure SSD...they got a massive storage (compared with PS4/Xbone) and performance w/ acceptable price.
              Possibly, It isn't out of the question. Buying in bulk could definitely see a price drop, and Valve (like every other console vendor) will probably start out by selling at a loss. But still, Intel and Nvidia aren't known for their reasonable low-end pricing/performance, which is probably the biggest factor in other major consoles using AMD cards traditionally. I guess we will have to see what magic Valve will pull out of their bag. They haven't done us wrong so far

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                Exactly.

It was super OBVIOUS once they started giving the Nouveau team docs and support. $ talks.
                What they did with Nouveau devs was more a PR stunt to make them look better to Linux "hardcore" users

(...and i'm sure they will give more stuff with time to Nouveau devs...)

The machines will use blobs so what they gave to Nouveau is irrelevant from that direct point...but was a nice PR stunt...

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  So, with these machines having two GPUs (intel + nVidia), can games make use of this somehow? i.e. can the two GPUs work together to render a single frame? I'm talking Linux software wise. Does Linux currently support such thing?
                  Is there any device out there able to do this (in general, not linux-specific)? Afaik no. Even if it was, it'd very difficult to utilize (see heterogeneous parallelism). You'd have to find a balanced workload for different devices with different strengths and weaknesses. And now imagine, users could freely combine as many heterogenous devices for rendering, as they wanted - that'd be a pure nightmare for devs. Remember, they're already struggeling to supporting several single-GPU devices (compare the level of optimizations console- and pc-games get) :/

Comment

Originally posted by Bathroom Humor View Post
                    Possibly, It isn't out of the question. Buying in bulk could definitely see a price drop, and Valve (like every other console vendor) will probably start out by selling at a loss. But still, Intel and Nvidia aren't known for their reasonable low-end pricing/performance, which is probably the biggest factor in other major consoles using AMD cards traditionally. I guess we will have to see what magic Valve will pull out of their bag. They haven't done us wrong so far
                    I see your point...Intel CPUs price is a "scandal"...

I myself was expecting a AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU to lower prices...

But some i3 might get price under control...and still have a very good performance against AMD at CPU performance level.

Valve/whoever will need to buy Intel CPU at bulk level, no doubt about that to lower enough price...

Comment

Doesn't surprise me. NVIDIA needs this so badly after XBOne and PS4 ships with AMD hardware.
                      It's really nice to be everywhere around in the media with those "prototypes", right?
                      I guess for this, in the current situation, NVIDIA is willing to do things they'd never do otherwise (clever move from Valve).

However, I still see Valve pushing Steam Machines with NVIDIA _and_ AMD hardware as they said before.

Originally posted by VRZ
                      Valve has recently announced that the Steam Box is in beta.
                      In Valve?s announcing press release, it said how Nvidia is a big stakeholder in the Steam Box.
                      What is AMD doing to counter or compete against this?
                      Originally posted by Ritche Corpus/AMD
                      There is no counter.

The reason is we are working just as closely with Valve.
                      I think the difference is one side of that conversation is being more vocal than the other.
                      If you go to Valve right now and ask them which hardware partners are going to be
                      the partner of choice, they won?t pick one or the other.
                      They are going to be agnostic. They mention that it?s an open ecosystem.

Comment

Working...
                      X