• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmstick
    replied
    Originally posted by cjcox View Post
    blah blah blah FUD
    You do realize you spent a lot of time typing something completely worthless? Steam runs on every distribution. Just because they picked the distribution with the largest community to release Steam on first doesn't mean anything. Also, I know it's fun to jump onto bandwagons and make fun of Ubuntu and Canonical, but it's really silly and needs to stop.

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    Long time Steam on Linux user

Ok.. I've been Linux only since 1993. I've had a Steam account for a very long time, using Steam under Wine, where titles like Half-Life and Half-Life 2 have run for many many years.

So.. now we have "native Steam".. however, realize it's native Steam for a VERY particular distribution of Linux that is known for very peculiar behaviors and choices.

With that said, many of us, especially those with existing Steam accounts, and the extreme minority like myself, that have had Linux-Steam only accounts for many years... have figured out how to twist the highly proprietary target "native Steam" client into a functioning program on something other than "that" distribution of Linux.

Here's the problem. If you see a Steam app that works with Linux and you're are NOT running "that" distribution, odds of it actually working are probably less than 50%. And most app makers do not include any free demo... which isn't necessarily a guarantee that things will work, but still...

Recommendation... I think Linux "native Steam" needs a "free" period for apps. That is, your access to an app through Steam should work for a set period from the moment you download it without having to pay for it. Then, if it's a title you want to keep, pay for it.

Right now... "native Steam" on Linux, if you're not using "that" distribution.. it's a huge risk.

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    I've been wondering whether Valve has considered to support Wine for Windows only games in their catalog. With support I mean to hire developer(s) to work on Wine compatibility and also advertise compatible games in Steam store. SteamOS with Wine could be huge (no need to keep a Windows box any more).

Leave a comment:

• ворот93
    replied
    How many of those are AAA titles?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic About 20% Of New Titles On Steam Support Linux

About 20% Of New Titles On Steam Support Linux

Phoronix: About 20% Of New Titles On Steam Support Linux

Of the newest game releases on Steam, around 20% of them are supporting Linux from the start, but that will certainly rise...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X