About 20% Of New Titles On Steam Support Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Google won over Oracle with Darwin as implementation of Java execution environiment. Why shouldn't WINE as implementation of winapi execution environiment?
    WINE itself is probably not problematic. But in order to be useful, some Microsoft DLLs have to be installed (often shipped along with games), and the copyright situation is less clear here.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
      Ok.. I've been Linux only since 1993. I've had a Steam account for a very long time, using Steam under Wine, where titles like Half-Life and Half-Life 2 have run for many many years.

So.. now we have "native Steam".. however, realize it's native Steam for a VERY particular distribution of Linux that is known for very peculiar behaviors and choices.

With that said, many of us, especially those with existing Steam accounts, and the extreme minority like myself, that have had Linux-Steam only accounts for many years... have figured out how to twist the highly proprietary target "native Steam" client into a functioning program on something other than "that" distribution of Linux.

Here's the problem. If you see a Steam app that works with Linux and you're are NOT running "that" distribution, odds of it actually working are probably less than 50%. And most app makers do not include any free demo... which isn't necessarily a guarantee that things will work, but still...

Recommendation... I think Linux "native Steam" needs a "free" period for apps. That is, your access to an app through Steam should work for a set period from the moment you download it without having to pay for it. Then, if it's a title you want to keep, pay for it.

Right now... "native Steam" on Linux, if you're not using "that" distribution.. it's a huge risk.
      I am using Fedora and have about 170 out of the 190 or so available Linux games and they all work. Being as this is still the early stages, I could not ask for much more. Take your FUD elsewhere please.

Comment

To the people with the foul childish tongues... (8 year olds maybe?)... look, I'm just saying that Steam has decided what distribution they are supporting. That's all. Yes, you certainly can get the steam client to work on other distributions. However it is not a gurarantee that all Steam for Linux games will play. And if there are problems, you won't get much support from Valve. That's all I'm saying (sheesh ya'll are immature).

Comment

To the people with the foul childish tongues... (8 year olds maybe?)... look, I'm just saying that Steam has decided what distribution they are supporting. That's all. Yes, you certainly can get the steam client to work on other distributions. However it is not a gurarantee that all Steam for Linux games will play. And if there are problems, you won't get much support from Valve. That's all I'm saying (sheesh ya'll are immature).
          Valve doesn't care what you use. All Linux distros work the same underneath. As you have been told before, if you have a problem it is your own distros fault for not properly packaging software.

Comment

And if there are problems, you won't get much support from Valve. That's all I'm saying
            Really? I see them having a FAQ how to install it on various distros: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...am_under_Linux and working on bugs that aren't confirmed on Ubuntu (like this, which hasn't even the steam runtime enabled) : https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Sou...mes/issues/951

What more support do you want?

Comment

Working...
            X