Valve Announces Its Open Steam GamePad / Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    You don't understand my pain. How could I once more open up my heart to wireless mice, when they so cruelly betrayed me? No, leave me be. I'm just a broken, old man, with too many scars. Too many bad, old memories. That wireless mouse haunts my dreams. Every night I wake up in cold sweat, from terrible nightmares where wireless mice chase me and I can't run away because my batteries are out.
    You still have a rotary phone, don't you?

It's okay. You can admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      You still have a rotary phone, don't you?

It's okay. You can admit it.
      I would but there are no landline phones in my country anymore. They all got destroyed in the 1998 bear calamity.

Comment

Yeah this controller better not be shit. This is an age old console debate. Ie sega vs nintendo... I remember loving the sega controller much more than what nintendo had to offer. A controller will make or break a console.

Comment

Oh please. You kids these days don't know what "playable" means. Back in my day, we had games that didn't coddle you with hint systems and hold your hand with help modes... it was 3 lives, then you start over from the beginning. No cheating from the internet either, we had to figure out everything by ourselves because the internet didn't exist. That is, if we had time to play any videogames after working 18 hour shifts in the salt mines.
          Don't make assumptions. I used to load my 16 color games from tapes to run them on my Commodore 64 back then. And the game I told you about had no hint or help modes because the game was simply a port of a 1995 Amiga 500 game. And I tell you, those hard 3-lives-no-saves games of the real gamers are playable on touch controllers if the controller is made right. Steam Controller definitely seems promising in this regard. Obviously if you don't want to accept any learning curve then this will most probably not fit you.
          But I admit, working 18 hour shifts in a salt mine is something I haven't experienced.

Comment

Try playing a fighting game where you have to do accurate combos, or a fast-paced platformer, and you'll be very happy for a proper d-pad to play it with.
            Because forward down quarter-circle forward is clearly impossible to do on a gamepad... you dumb fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Because forward down quarter-circle forward is clearly impossible to do on a gamepad... you dumb fuck.
              Either you really have serious problems understanding what you read (which would make it extremely ironic that you call others "dumb fuck") or you're once again attempting some shitty trolling, like is your wont. I hope the mods ban you because you're nothing but a nuisance to everyone here. Go do us all a favor and join a cult or something, get some content in your life, everyone is tired of your bullshit here.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                Don't make assumptions. I used to load my 16 color games from tapes to run them on my Commodore 64 back then. And the game I told you about had no hint or help modes because the game was simply a port of a 1995 Amiga 500 game. And I tell you, those hard 3-lives-no-saves games of the real gamers are playable on touch controllers if the controller is made right. Steam Controller definitely seems promising in this regard. Obviously if you don't want to accept any learning curve then this will most probably not fit you.
                But I admit, working 18 hour shifts in a salt mine is something I haven't experienced.
                All of the games you want to play are also playable with this new invention of mine, the asspad. It's a kind of joystick which you plug up to your anus, then you control the games by wiggling your butt around in complex patterns. I tell you, games are entirely playable on an asspad if the asspad is made right. Of course, if you don't want to accept any learning curve (or skimp on the lube) then this will most probably not fit you.

I've given plenty of reasons why the d-pad is superior in any game requiring quick, accurate movements, and your response to it is "well, the touchpads can work too if you just learn them"... that's kind of the point - you're not supposed to have to "learn" them. Remember the 8-bit nintendo? The controller was intuitive. Even a 4-year old kid who had never seen a game console before could grab that controller and instantly, instinctively, figure out how it works. It's perfect - control the d-pad with one thumb, push buttons with the other. This basic concept has lived on to this day (with various extra attachments to the side) because it works: it's intuitive, it's ergonomic, it's easy to use.

The touchpads may be a good replacement for the analog sticks, but they will never be a good replacement for d-pads.

Comment

Working...
                X