No announcement yet.

Valve Announces Its Open Steam GamePad / Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think one of the pictures shows a wired connection.

Comment

Cool and innovative idea, very nice Valve!

I hope they get the "click-feel" right on the touchpads, and that it'll be responsive. Using the touchscreen as a button is pretty cool feature, acting as an advanced programmable 3rd button - it's actually like a mini WiiU pad :P Anyways, it feels like a lot of thought went into this, and not just continue the same convention done by MS/Sony.

I like that it will be hackable, even the industrial design (finally a reason to get a 3D printer!), and I look forward to see the first pull request for the kernel from Valve That will be the moment I get me one of these

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        This shit is worse than getting skullfucked by a grizzly bear while an ostrich vomits in your ear.

Clickpads for gaming? This is absolute drivel. Analog sticks are already poor enough for any gameplay that needs accuracy. Now we have clickpads that you're fondling with your thumbs. Yeah right. I guess it's ok if you only play FPS or the like but platformers, fighting games, anything where you need quick accurate movements? No way in hell.
        I have played a platformer (Babylonian Twins) on the iPhone and it has directional control using the touch screen (i.e. very similar to this setup) and it was certainly playable. The problem with the iPhone is that you can't feel the location of your thumb on the virtual controller, but you don't have that problem with the Steam Controller because its trackpad has circular edges.

Comment

This shit is worse than getting skullfucked by a grizzly bear while an ostrich vomits in your ear.

Clickpads for gaming? This is absolute drivel. Analog sticks are already poor enough for any gameplay that needs accuracy. Now we have clickpads that you're fondling with your thumbs. Yeah right. I guess it's ok if you only play FPS or the like but platformers, fighting games, anything where you need quick accurate movements? No way in hell.
          Yeah because it is impossible to play platformers with a gamepad... how did those old fucks survive with this? Didn't they know that keyboard and mouse is the way to go?

Comment

look pretty cool to me. I hope you whiners are the victims of a house invasion and your forced to use Valve's controller at gun point or better yet have m80's strapped to you testicles and rigged to go off if they put controller down

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post

[Edit: I do hope they add a corded options, I never liked wireless controllers. Having to keep them charged and the risk of them dying in the middle of a session far outweighs any benefits offered by being cordless.]
              Do you guys even use consoles ? Wireless controllers last a considerable amount of time with heavy game play. If you choose to ignore the hour plus long warning that your battery needs recharging, and the controller dies mid game, the game pauses when realising this and asks you to plug the controller in to continue playing.

Plug the controller into the console to recharge and OMG its a "corded" controller.
              Last edited by DDF420; 27 September 2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                Yeah because it is impossible to play platformers with a gamepad... how did those old fucks survive with this? Didn't they know that keyboard and mouse is the way to go?
                Uh, are you dyslexic or just an idiot? Do you think I said it's impossible to play platformers with a gamepad? I was talking about the analog stick.

Proper gamepads have d-pads - real d-pads, not shitty floaty things that wobble all over. The playstation design is the best, it gives the most accurate controls for when you need 8-directional digital controls - but the original nintendo cross is fine as well. Try playing a fighting game where you have to do accurate combos, or a fast-paced platformer, and you'll be very happy for a proper d-pad to play it with.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  I have played a platformer (Babylonian Twins) on the iPhone and it has directional control using the touch screen (i.e. very similar to this setup) and it was certainly playable. The problem with the iPhone is that you can't feel the location of your thumb on the virtual controller, but you don't have that problem with the Steam Controller because its trackpad has circular edges.
                  Oh please. You kids these days don't know what "playable" means. Back in my day, we had games that didn't coddle you with hint systems and hold your hand with help modes... it was 3 lives, then you start over from the beginning. No cheating from the internet either, we had to figure out everything by ourselves because the internet didn't exist. That is, if we had time to play any videogames after working 18 hour shifts in the salt mines.

Comment

Oh please. You kids these days don't know what "playable" means. Back in my day, we had games that didn't coddle you with hint systems and hold your hand with help modes... it was 3 lives, then you start over from the beginning. No cheating from the internet either, we had to figure out everything by ourselves because the internet didn't exist. That is, if we had time to play any videogames after working 18 hour shifts in the salt mines.
                    I never did make it to the fifth level of Ghosts n' Goblins.

And I will be sure to stay off your lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                      This brings memories of the best controller i ever used (sans buttons): The Intellivision disc.

While everyone hated it because of the buttons, the directional disc was exceptional. Unlike the usual 4 direction cross used in the nes and others, the intv disc would never make your fingers sore. It was soft to the touch, and it gently pivoted from the middle. The thing had 16 sensors, so games could use 32 directions, back in 79. None of the other consoles ever improved this, until analogs made their way into consoles in the late 90ies.
                      You made me LoL

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                      Does anyone else feel a bit let down by these three announcements? Somehow, given the hype, I was expecting something more interesting.
                      So far yes and no. Yes because I want to know hardware specs. No because anything Linux related should be good, especially for Linux gamers.

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                      Wireless sucks, I?d rather have a nice simple usb cable than have to buy and charge batteries.
                      Wireless has always sucked imho. Any hardcore gamer will refuse wireless. First thing I realised with wireless gamepads is that they go missing very easily. And battery flat issues should be solved if they provide a doc and the internal battery is a LiPoly battery.

Comment

Working...
                      X