• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJSB
    replied
    This is what i think SteamOS will be...

For me, SteamOS will be something like this:

1) Steam will be Gaming centered....but don't be afraid...read on...

2) Installation process in already existing machines will use the Big Picture concept...
    The user also will be very limited in the number of options and info needed to be provided that its needed to install it...this is a very good thing in special for Win Users / Linux Newbies (notice i don't call them Noobs... people sometimes confuse both thinking are the same, they aren't...a Newbie is someone new to a thing but that wants to learn about it....a Noob is someone new to a thing and that refuses/discards/makes_a_mockery_about learning about it)

3) Boot will go straight to Big Picture mode...
    In this mode it WON'T use X, Mir, Wayland , WHATEVER...its all about gaming maybe with some special new app from Valve/3rd party for Music, Movies (i'm thinking Amazon (possibly), iTunes(don't think so) , NetFlix or similar here)...

4) ...but in that Big Picture mode will be there an option to shutdown BPM and go to regular X (for now) plus Gnome/XFCE/whatever to work ALMOST as a standard Linux machine...in this mode it probably will use FLOSS graphic drivers...it will HOWEVER, have limited "command line" (i use this expression because Window$ users ) capacity if any at all to prevent newbies / noobs from screw up installation ...or maybe it will...
    This is the mode for you install/use things like LibreOffice and the like

5) As for Web browsing, email, etc. i dunno if it will be in part of regular Linux session or if it will be integrated in Big Picture...possibly the later and as it will possibly be also DVD playback

6) Talking about video drivers...i wonder if is possible AMD/NVIDIA blobs in big Picture mode and then switch to FLOSS for Linux Regular Mode...
    As for distribution of blobs...they could be installed from a 2nd (ISO) disk (image) or directly from the Net avoiding any GPL problems...
    Or... maybe by launch time FLOSS drivers are in a adequate state of performance ? i doubt....but they sure had improve lately and because console will only ship next year or so it seems, it might be possible...
    AMD seemed to be hiring new blood in their official Linux driver team or so i think i understood about sometime ago news...

As for SteamBox machines...
    Yes, it will use an APU from AMD or APU-like from Intel (Intel kinda have now also APUs).
    I pretty much doubt it will have a regular GPU...

In any case, there should be some *clearly recommended minimum* hardware guide lines to any one interested to build (their own) SteamBox hardware...
    Last edited by AJSB; 25 September 2013, 06:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    Linuxgames...even PS4 should turn from FreeBSD to Linux.

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
    DRM = no money from me and some others I think it is important for Linux community to lobby for DRM-less games.
    Why would Valve throw away their own Steam platform to cater to a relatively small minority?

Leave a comment:

• XorEaxEax
    replied
    My hopes would be that Valve continues on their current path of helping to improve Linux for gaming in a overall technical capacity, but more importantly (for me) is that this gaming push by Valve might result in increased resources aimed at improving the open source in-kernel drivers for discrete gpu's so that we can rid ourselves of proprietary hardware drivers and all the problems they bring (security, stability) once and for all.

As for Valve's intentions, it seems clear to me that they want to become the 'Android' of PC gaming. By offering the 'SteamOS' for free to third parties who can all build their own 'Steamboxes' which will then use Valve's Steam service, just like Google gives away android so that third parties will use their services (play, chrome, etc).

Will be interesting to see if they succeed, either way Linux has already benefited from their efforts, so thanks Valve.

Leave a comment:

• Cyber Killer
    replied
    my hopes:
    - it's not based on ubuntu or android
    - LSB compliant
    - Steam doesn't stop supporting desktop distros because of this

Leave a comment:

• DDF420
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Considering I never called anyone unprofessional, I think one could state you are confusing implication with inference.
    It's pretty obvious what you were implying

Leave a comment:

• forgiver
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Well if anonymous supposed-Valve employee postings on 4chan can be taken seriously, it'll have both AMD and nvidia hardware.
    I must admit, it's a believable leak.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by b15hop View Post
    Well apparently the steam box will be a live gaming machine. I've also read someone stating that it's running Tegra 5 hardware. Have a look at this:
    Well if anonymous supposed-Valve employee postings on 4chan can be taken seriously, it'll have both AMD and nvidia hardware.

Leave a comment:

• b15hop
    replied
    Originally posted by ronybeck View Post
    I am not so excited by Valve's efforts, monumental though they are. My wishes are purely selfish when it comes to gaming on Linux. So does SteamOS solve my biggest bugbears with Linux gaming? Based on the info there is so far I can complete my simple checklist:

* Will it bring my favorite AAA tittles to my Linux desktop? - Unlikely. they *might* come to SteamOS.
    * Will I be able to game with my friends without dual booting - Unlikely if I need to install SteamOS in order to play the games.
    * Could I use SteamOS as a real Linux desktop? - Who knows.

From my own standpoint, there is nothing in the SteamOS announcement that makes me jump for joy or believe that Linux is really the future of gaming just yet. Maybe in a few years when the requisite development has been done and the SteamOS/Linux gaming market has taken shape, I will be able to see where it is going. Only then will I have something to buy into. But right now it offers me nothing more than idle curiosity. That said, Kyle Orland of Arstechnica hit the nail on the head: "If anyone has the clout to drag the gaming industry towards Linux, it's Valve."
    I agree with your three points. I think valve will be the ones to drag the gaming industry towards Linux. But I don't think it will be a smooth ride.

That isn't a particularly controversial claim since nvidia doesn't even have an APU yet. Unless you consider this Maxwell stuff (which won't be shipping for awhile) and since it's not based on x86, it's somewhat less relevant.

It does seem likely that the Steam Box could be AMD hardware which is frankly astonishing to me considering AMD has basically no Linux presence, pretty awful GPU drivers and horrible video playback options. But I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
    Well apparently the steam box will be a live gaming machine. I've also read someone stating that it's running Tegra 5 hardware. Have a look at this:

Looking forward to tomorrow's announcement... I'll take a stab in the dark and say that the low-end, streaming-only device is going to be a Tegra 5. NVIDIA did a lot of work with Valve to do their Shield streaming (I think it only works with Steam?) and Valve has already talked about this feature w/ SteamOS... so the partnership isn't completely impossible. And if it's a streaming-only device it probably wouldn't need an Intel CPU.

What's you guys thinkin?
    Last edited by b15hop; 24 September 2013, 11:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ronybeck
    replied
    Hopes for SteamOS? Why Would I Have Hopes?

I am not so excited by Valve's efforts, monumental though they are. My wishes are purely selfish when it comes to gaming on Linux. So does SteamOS solve my biggest bugbears with Linux gaming? Based on the info there is so far I can complete my simple checklist:

* Will it bring my favorite AAA tittles to my Linux desktop? - Unlikely. they *might* come to SteamOS.
    * Will I be able to game with my friends without dual booting - Unlikely if I need to install SteamOS in order to play the games.
    * Could I use SteamOS as a real Linux desktop? - Who knows.

From my own standpoint, there is nothing in the SteamOS announcement that makes me jump for joy or believe that Linux is really the future of gaming just yet. Maybe in a few years when the requisite development has been done and the SteamOS/Linux gaming market has taken shape, I will be able to see where it is going. Only then will I have something to buy into. But right now it offers me nothing more than idle curiosity. That said, Kyle Orland of Arstechnica hit the nail on the head: "If anyone has the clout to drag the gaming industry towards Linux, it's Valve."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X