No announcement yet.

What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While technological improvements would be appreciated, my greatest hope is that the diversity of the distro ecosystem is respected. This isn't Highlander.

It would also be nice to see more influence being brought to bear to discourage proprietizing software over open-sourcing it, as well as to discourage DRM overbearance, but I won't hold my breath that these are among Valve's goals.

Comment

I hope it will be a real Linux OS with real userland tools which will be able to run all Linux software, not just Steam games. I hope it will use Wayland, a real display protocol developed by professionals. I hope you'll be able to use different DE's and GUIs on it. I hope Valve will work with the upstream to improve code for everyone, not patch everything downstream.

Almost forgot: NON-XBOX CONTROLLER!
      Last edited by dee.; 24 September 2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

64bit only is all i want.

Comment

Nor only better drivers

Not only Nvidia and ATI open and closed ones and intel open ones

Mices, keyboards, TV tuners, some rare network adapters etc wil have - hopefully - to have their good Linux drivers and software as Logitech software for MS WOS notavailable YET at Linux OSs

A great DM evolution - I would bet for the non born Consort and put Mike Doherty to work for Steam OS - but I hope one at least as fast and light as XFCE as default.

Wayland and Weston and Mesa opengl great evolution

A delta upgrading package system BY DEFAULT

SYSTEMD

Manjaro based or something alike Arch based - High hopes -

At the end,more and more users for Linux and more support and even software

And perhaps Sony switching their PS4 OS from FreeBSD kernel to a Linux kernel one - What a missed opportunity their PS3 Linux distro must SONY be thinking now -

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            64bit only is all i want.
            exactly. Since they're building this in 2013, they should definitely NOT support 32-bit. Then game developers could comfortably target 64-bit for games.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
              Manjaro based or something alike Arch based - High hopes -
              I hope so. I just made the switch to Manjaro and love it. Super up to date and moderately well tested packages, no-drama kernel upgrades with easy reversion if something goes wrong, good hardware detection. Just an awesome distro in general. Pamac could use some work but pacman does a good enough job if you know what you're looking for.

Unfortunately valve has said in the past that they like Ubuntu. We'll see....

Comment

My hope is they don't hijack the games market like they did on Windows, where many popular games are Steam exclusive and users don't have a choice of using it or not.

My second hope is that they help make Linux viable for game development, and help improve OS neutral APIs and toolsets.

I hope it will be a real Linux OS with real userland tools which will be able to run all Linux software, not just Steam games.
                I don't see why people want yet another Linux distro or why Valve is in a position to do that. I can't believe that Valve intends to compete with Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS for productivity centric Linux distros. I also can't imagine serious programmers switching their work laptops or server farms over to a video game centric distro.
                Last edited by DanLamb; 24 September 2013, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  exactly. Since they're building this in 2013, they should definitely NOT support 32-bit. Then game developers could comfortably target 64-bit for games.
                  What makes you think SteamOS only runs on x86?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    I hope it will be a real Linux OS with real userland tools which will be able to run all Linux software, not just Steam games. I hope it will use Wayland, a real display protocol developed by professionals. I hope you'll be able to use different DE's and GUIs on it. I hope Valve will work with the upstream to improve code for everyone, not patch everything downstream.

Almost forgot: NON-XBOX CONTROLLER!
                    Please DEE,since having the audacity to call Mir developers non professional time and time again, direct us to your code contributions so they can be critiqued.

Is their really any need for the constant defamation of people you don't personally know .

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      What makes you think SteamOS only runs on x86?
                      We have 64bit ARM chips. Anyway they should offer a 64bit only Steam client and games. FFS we are in 2014 in a few months.

Comment

Working...
                      X