Dolphin Emulator 4.0 Released For GameCube, Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
    Performance is actually a problem. More importantly, GLES3 driver support on mobiles is terrible to say the least. Many devices barely run Dolphin at all without crashing right away. Others barely run at 10 FPS because the drivers yet have not implemented e.g. the GL optimization hints that Dolphin uses.
    As I mentioned, ARM is advancing quick enough. So it's not really a problem. It's a problem right *now*, but won't be in the future, which is why it's not *really* a problem :-)

AFAIK most mobiles provide USB slots which can be used to connect gamepads. Wiimotes can theoretically be connected via bluetooth, however I'm not really sure if anyone tried that or if it's even meant to be supported yet.
    You need your hands to hold the device. So a special gadget would be needed that transforms the mobile into something that looks like a PS Vita so that you can hold both the screen as well as the gamepad. This obviously means that a Wiimote cannot be used. Also, you'll look like a dork IMO walking around with a gamepad on your phone :-/ This might be acceptable for a 16 year old...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      ... You need your hands to hold the device...
      Hmmm... why do you assume ARM equals a mobile device? I'm sure we'll see a lot more "mini-pc's" in the future using ARM instead of x86, were hooking up a gamepad makes sense. Who want to play GC games on a mobile device anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
        Hmmm... why do you assume ARM equals a mobile device? I'm sure we'll see a lot more "mini-pc's" in the future using ARM instead of x86, were hooking up a gamepad makes sense. Who want to play GC games on a mobile device anyway?
        I was thinking along the same lines. Note the existence of the Ouya, the Mad Catz M.O.J.O., the Nvidia Shield, and the Gamestick. I have my doubts that all the Android based consoles will be successful, but I expect at least one reasonably successful console to continue to be in existence from here on out. And of course they will get more powerful as they go along.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          Hmm? I need a 32-bit build because I'm using a 32-bit OS, not because I have a 32-bit-only CPU or anything.

I known I'm able to launch things on it, I've played several games on it on the previous version.
          Well use a 64-bit OS, then. It will improve the performance of those apps that actually make use of it. Staying on 32-bit is just not wise at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Well use a 64-bit OS, then. It will improve the performance of those apps that actually make use of it. Staying on 32-bit is just not wise at this point.
            Also no point in using a 64-bit OS in a system with only 4GB RAM. Also, I'm not going to reinstall my entire OS just for one program.

Anyway, I already managed to get Dolphin built. The emulator starts up fine, but it doesn't work, games won't launch. Everything just shows a black screen with 0 FPS. Apparently (if I understood correctly) there's some problem/bug with the opengl backend that only affects nvidia GPUs. So using the 64bit package probably wouldn't have helped either... just going to have to wait for them to fix the software. I'll just use 3.5 in the meantime, it at least runs solidly.

Comment

Also no point in using a 64-bit OS in a system with only 4GB RAM. Also, I'm not going to reinstall my entire OS just for one program.

Anyway, I already managed to get Dolphin built. The emulator starts up fine, but it doesn't work, games won't launch. Everything just shows a black screen with 0 FPS. Apparently (if I understood correctly) there's some problem/bug with the opengl backend that only affects nvidia GPUs. So using the 64bit package probably wouldn't have helped either... just going to have to wait for them to fix the software. I'll just use 3.5 in the meantime, it at least runs solidly.
              hmmm, Ive been using it for years on nvidia hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
                hmmm, Ive been using it for years on nvidia hardware.
                The version 4.0 was just released, you can't have been using it for years.

Comment

The version 4.0 was just released, you can't have been using it for years.
                  oh you mean theres a bug in 4.0? Sorry yes I obviously have been using the older versions.
                  I guess I should have read the part where you mentioned you were going back to 3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                    AFAIK most mobiles provide USB slots which can be used to connect gamepads. Wiimotes can theoretically be connected via bluetooth, however I'm not really sure if anyone tried that or if it's even meant to be supported yet.
                    Wiimote-over-bluetooth have even been used on PalmOS-powered emulators (LJP), with success. Chance are, they'll work okay on modern Android devices. Specially since Linux already has the necessary drivers (which are user space daemon talking with the bluetooth hardware - should be portable on android too)

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    You need your hands to hold the device. So a special gadget would be needed that transforms the mobile into something that looks like a PS Vita so that you can hold both the screen as well as the gamepad. This obviously means that a Wiimote cannot be used. Also, you'll look like a dork IMO walking around with a gamepad on your phone :-/ This might be acceptable for a 16 year old...
                    Wiimote could be used with android *tablets* on a stand. (The same kind of stand which is currently used to watch movies could be used to play games with wireless controllers)

Also, about the gamepad gadgets: Sony Ericsson did release the EGB-10 gameboard a few years ago. Since then the technologie has perfected and you can find several brand making such bluetooth gamepads-with-a-smartphone holder (compatible with both android and iOS).

Comment

Working...
                    X