No announcement yet.

Valve Linux-Based SteamBox Details Coming Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just like how Linux get's much more attention from Valve than Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
      I don't know if the box would be a generic Linux box (expandable) that also had Steam, or if it would be console-ised.
      Expect it to be an open console and would still be able to load the distribution of your choice and tinker with the Ubuntu Core derived Valve operating system.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        I just like how Linux get's much more attention from Valve than Mac.
        If they focused on Mac then they would be at the mercy of Apple.
        Just as now they're at the mercy of Microsoft.

Xbox One runs a Windows-derived operating system on the x86 architecture, just like a PC.
        You can buy games from Xbox One market store, then if Microsoft brings that to the PC then they kill Steam.

Valve cant stay with Microsoft because Microsoft will kill Steam.
        They cant go with Apple, because then they're back in their old slave relationship where they are at their mercy.

Linux is Valve's Windows exit strategy for Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Expect it to be an open console and would still be able to load the distribution of your choice and tinker with the Ubuntu Core derived Valve operating system.
          Does the fact that they are working on a LLVM debbuger is anyhow related to the fact that the radeonsi drivers are LLVM based?

The reason I ask this is because I can't see the console being intel cpu + nvidia gpu, since it would just be too expensive and current AMD drivers are still not up to par, so maybe they are working with AMD to solve their driver issues in order to use its APUs, such as kaveri for which most games will already be designed anyway.

Comment

Its like the 3DO reborn...
            At least now the hardware is not too confusing...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              The real question here is... Mir or Wayland for that Valve Os ?

Comment

Working...
              X