No announcement yet.

Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Up Linux For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not be surprised if valve would ship with Linux as default, but offering Windows for a additional charge.

Personally I don't care, but welcome any Linux games alike Counterstrike etc. Tomb Raider 2013 would be cool to play on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      I would not be surprised if valve would ship with Linux as default, but offering Windows for a additional charge.

Personally I don't care, but welcome any Linux games alike Counterstrike etc. Tomb Raider 2013 would be cool to play on Linux...
      If you are talking about the Steam box, Gabe has already said that the hardware they ship will have a Linux-based os only. He also said that other companies are more than welcome to do their own Steam boxes with Windows if they want to. Even then the Valve version will also be open in the sense that you will be able to go in and replace the OS or upgrade hardware if/when you want, just like a PC. They are looking to keep the same spirit that made the PC platform so ubiquitous in the first place - that is healthy competition and innovation among hardware providers with plenty of options for consumers to match their desired price points and performance needs, just in a smaller form factor and a focus on the living room to get the best of both PC and console worlds. The way it sounded to me is that the Valve version of the Steam box will basically be the standard version, meant to be mid-range performance at a reasonable price on a Linux base. But other Steam boxes from other companies could range from cheap interface units that sit between your existing gaming pc and tv at the low end to expensive beastly gaming rigs at the high end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
        How can you not get it? It's the Old Hats complaining because they only want Open Source. The same people you see on the trisquel site telling people not to use proprietary drivers and such. That's what I don't get, it's like they don't want Linux to advance and they want you to use only half of the hardware you paid for. IMO, they are a Cancer to the advancement of Linux and need to stop.
        Well I was referring to people who are currently Windows users, PC gamers and enthusiasts... and for some reason seem to think that Valve paying any attention to Linux is the equivalent of some kind of unforgivable sin.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Well I was referring to people who are currently Windows users, PC gamers and enthusiasts... and for some reason seem to think that Valve paying any attention to Linux is the equivalent of some kind of unforgivable sin.
          Well it looks like MS anti-Linux FUD campaign has paid off. Can you think of better explanation?

Or They hate us for our freedom
          Last edited by Ramiliez; 18 September 2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
            If you are talking about the Steam box, Gabe has already said that the hardware they ship will have a Linux-based os only. He also said that other companies are more than welcome to do their own Steam boxes with Windows if they want to. Even then the Valve version will also be open in the sense that you will be able to go in and replace the OS or upgrade hardware if/when you want, just like a PC. They are looking to keep the same spirit that made the PC platform so ubiquitous in the first place - that is healthy competition and innovation among hardware providers with plenty of options for consumers to match their desired price points and performance needs, just in a smaller form factor and a focus on the living room to get the best of both PC and console worlds. The way it sounded to me is that the Valve version of the Steam box will basically be the standard version, meant to be mid-range performance at a reasonable price on a Linux base. But other Steam boxes from other companies could range from cheap interface units that sit between your existing gaming pc and tv at the low end to expensive beastly gaming rigs at the high end.
            Can you please provide a link to such announcements about these specifics?
            I didn't find any of that in the presentation he gave, only a vague notion that "Linux is the future of gaming!"

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguy View Post
              Can you please provide a link to such announcements about these specifics?
              I didn't find any of that in the presentation he gave, only a vague notion that "Linux is the future of gaming!"
              There are several sources and I don't care enough to dig around for them all, but this is probably the most relevant: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385...ture-of-gaming

Comment

Working...
              X