X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bakgwailo
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Why didn't they accept the state tracker patch? Not that I'm surprised.
    Because it is not cross platform.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    From what I can tell, this has nothing to do with the graphics drivers, but rather a change to how Wine itself handles the D3D code.

Also, the state trackers announced earlier weren't accepted by upstream Wine.
    Why didn't they accept the state tracker patch? Not that I'm surprised.

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    This seems really incredible. Having the WINE compatibility layer implementation being faster than native just shows how crappy the windows codebase really is!
    Call me when every graphical feature is fully supported and working, and the games in question still run faster. You don't get to skip features then claim faster performance.

Leave a comment:

• sobkas
    replied
    I got this in Metro Last Light:

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    Is it more like http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11674#c263 ?

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
    Meh, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect game developers to suddenly start developing for Linux. We're less than 1% on Steam.
    Grumble, grumble... It'd be slightly higher if the Steam survey didn't crash Steam on me every time that it gets to gathering system stats.

Maybe I'll be able to figure something out:
    Mint 15 + Cinnamon
    Kernel 3.11 x86-64
    Mesa/llvm from git
    Radeon 7850 with radeonsi gallium driver + glamor

Leave a comment:

• kokoko3k
    replied
    Code:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7500  @ 2.93GHz
    NVIDIA Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]
    KWIN without effects, unigine is running in a window at 800x600
    vsync is off
    Just tried, it works as expected, wow.

Unigine valley under wine at 800x600 on a poor nvidia 9500GT

__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 + WINE + Opengl: 11->25fps
    __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 + WINE + D3D + CSMT=disabled: 8->13fps
    __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 + WINE + D3D + CSMT=enabled: 11->21fps
    __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 + Native Opengl: 12->24fps

__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 + WINE + Opengl: 13->24fps
    __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 + WINE + CSMT=disabled: 6->9fps
    __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 + WINE + CSMT=enabled: 10->20fps
    __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 + Native Opengl: 13->24fps

So in short in my system:
    Not expected:
    • __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 has a bad impact on WINE in all of the cases.

Expected:
    • CSMT enabled leads to 150..200% D3D wine performances without the new patch.
    • Wine performs as the native version when using the opengl renderer.

Last edited by kokoko3k; 04 September 2013, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alderon
    replied
    Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
    Meh, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect game developers to suddenly start developing for Linux. We're less than 1% on Steam.
    QFT, that's the whole problem with asking for native ports only. Steambox (if it gets ever released) might change that a bit, also the fact that porting to Linux is now much easier than ever but even then Windows will still be the leading platform for DESKTOP gaming. Personally I was hoping for more but there's simply no reason to switch to Linux if all the games you want are on Windows, people would rather upgrade to Windows 8 or stay on Windows 7 for the time being.
    Then again, time is working for Linux as it's very, very strong on the whole mobile sector and here the same rules apply: why should users switch away from Android/iOS to Windows? Especially if you've bought already many games/apps for a specific platform you might hesitate to just abandon it.

So, I would say that we've lost already when it comes to desktop gaming, granted we'll get ports because it's easier than ever but Linux will never be a very strong desktop gaming platform and many publishers will keep ignoring it. This is why I consider wine as very, very important. And I'm looking quite happily into the future, knowing that Unix (*BSD via iOS & PS4; Linux via Android) is the absolute leader on a future market.

Leave a comment:

• imamdxl
    replied
    Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...r_wine/cc1fw5y

Linux gaming reddit is very useful place

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com - Come by and say hi sometime!
    OMG www.gamingonlinux.com is one of the best site ever for Linux

Thank you so much!!!

Leave a comment:

• who_me
    replied
    Originally posted by sabun View Post
    I was kind of worried with all the support they'd been giving Mac users, that there wouldn't be any performance upgrades us Linux users would enjoy. I'm glad to see that's not the case.

Been using CrossOver 12.5.0, and have tried COD MW and COD MW2 and while they run, it lags horribly (on a GTX680 with 313 drivers). Hopefully no longer requiring StrictDrawOrdering will help that.

Is this a step in the direction of Wine supporting Multi-core CPUs? I'm not very tech savvy with regards to Wine development, so I don't really understand. If it is support for Multi-core CPUs, would that mean Guild Wars 2 may finally have a playable framerate?

I'm definitely looking forward to this, still wish that the CodeWeavers guys would implement some DX11 love before it's too late.
    If you're using Crossover 12.5 you may want to set this registry key for the bottle(s) where you got software that you think might get a boost from what Stefan's patch does.

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/X11 Driver/NvThreads
    This is a string value and setting its value to 1 enables the "magic". It's the equivalent of setting the __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS env variable. As the name suggests, it's only for nvidia users that have the binary blob version 310 and up. I've tested it with SC2 and it doubled my frame rate. However, during the mission "Harvest of screams", when the weather effects happen, your fps will take a dive but it's not connected to the above. Maybe fog and particle effects? I don't know for sure.

I'm going to try Deus Ex: Human Revolution once again when I get the chance. That was a title that required StrictDrawOrdering and the performance was crap.

I can't say something for sure about Borderlands 2 though. Maybe after the battle in Overlook (protecting the lun where there's a lot of stuff happening on screen

Leave a comment:

Working...
X