Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL 2.0 Has Been Officially Released

Phoronix: SDL 2.0 Has Been Officially Released

As was expected, SDL 2.0 has been officially released! This is a very important milestone for multi-platform game developers, among others...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzNTA

Well DONE SDL team

Comment

Is there any license that has copyleft but allows static linking? I see zlib (along any liberal licenses) as a poor choice for SDL, since it allows to keep changes closed.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
        Is there any license that has copyleft but allows static linking? I see zlib (along any liberal licenses) as a poor choice for SDL, since it allows to keep changes closed.
        LGPL? This is one of the options Qt is licensed under.

Comment

Originally posted by ean5533 View Post
          LGPL? This is one of the options Qt is licensed under.
          A friend of mine told me LGPL only allows dynamic linking. He's a programmer, and he switched to MIT after he found that out.

Comment

OpenGL 3.0+ support,
            No OpenGL 4.x support? It sounds bad. Is it in the short term plans?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              No OpenGL 4.x support? It sounds bad. Is it in the short term plans?
              OpenGL 3.0+ would include 4.x unless they seriously only targetted 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                A friend of mine told me LGPL only allows dynamic linking. He's a programmer, and he switched to MIT after he found that out.
                Your friend is correct, I was wrong. If you statically link then you have to "also provide your application in an object (not necessarily source) format, so that a user has the opportunity to modify the library and relink the application."

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq...taticVsDynamic

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  LGPL, if your program is open-source, allows static linking. It even allows it for closed-source programs if you provide the object files to allow users to relink it with a different version of the LGPL lib.

And as I wrote in the previous news, SDL 1.2 is not under the GPL, but under the LGPL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    OpenGL 3.0+ would include 4.x unless they seriously only targetted 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3
                    That's good. It's a bit confusing as is (that + means 4.x as well).

Comment

Working...
                    X